Electric vehicle battery - new power source with increased range?

dabhand

Just seen an article in the Daily Mail (yes, i know!!) about a new type of power source for batteries (aluminium-air) which appears to compare very favourably to the lithium version.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7592485/Father-eight-invents-electric-car-battery-drivers-1-500-miles-without-charging-it.html

It may well be destined for the 'too good to be true' bin but it does seem to be generating interest from some major players.

An earlier article in a separate publication gives further background to the process. This also highlights the complete lack of support given by UK government on new technology. So, what's new?

https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/12/naval-veteran-aluminum-air-metalectrique/

Anyone with an understanding of the issues connected with batteries that has an informed take on the potential of this possible new power source?

Not rechargeable. So I can't use my free solar energy and have to pay for a new battery each time it runs out.

It supposedly does 2,500 km before expiring, so my 100km commute will use up a battery a month.

At least it's almost fully recycleable and it's (supposedly) very safe.

What I would possibly go for (assuming this updated Aluminium/Air battery really does work) would be a smaller (2/3 size) rechargeable backed up with an aluminium/air pack. An end to range anxiety once and for all.

The key element is that at the same size as a Tesla’s battery they can provide a 1,400 mile range (for 5,000 GBP).  I don’t think there is any way that would be a better solution than increased LI-ION range— simple things like regenerative braking and acceleration need to be factored into the benefits, and it seems like the solution is just too marginal to make it work.  With a 400km range, I don’t think too many people would have real range anxiety with a small distribution of DC fast chargers.

I used to work for Boliden Batteries. Al/Air has been around for 30 years, as has Zinc/Air etc. The important development has been improvements in the type of electrolytes available and the fact that there in now a demand for larger batteries with high power to weight ratio, for electric vehicles and storage of Solar and wind derived energy.

4 hours ago, Estrada said:

I used to work for Boliden Batteries. Al/Air has been around for 30 years, as has Zinc/Air etc. The important development has been improvements in the type of electrolytes available and the fact that there in now a demand for larger batteries with high power to weight ratio, for electric vehicles and storage of Solar and wind derived energy.

Al-air has been around since the sixties and now this chap has come up with some fancy new electrolyte which, he claims, he drinks during demonstrations.

His claims are a bit strange though. A battery pack costs £5000 which lasts 1500 miles. I make that £3.33 a mile, but the claim is that it costs 7p a mile which makes a pack £105. Another claim is that he has a 'multi-million pound' contract with Austin Electric. AE is a private company started a month ago with just 2 shares and 2 directors and is based in a unit on a farm.

His technical claims I can believe but the figures just don't add up and the idea that thousands will be in vehicles by next year (although a prototype hasn't even been built yet) is suspect.

Archived