successful METV entry

4 hours ago, mockingbird said:

-Flew Brussels to Chenzen to Chiangmai (10/17);

... and therein lies the reason why you had no issues. You flew into a law abiding airport, where they don't deny people with valid visa's using a lie..i.e. insufficient funds.

Well done.

may it help others.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, orchis said:

may it help others.

Sort of. BTW ta for detail report. Fact is its all about point of entry as per post #2. 

I suggest a flight ending up at DM might have the happy ending. With your history it should be OK but could easily become nightmare. Los airports are not longer guaranteed options except for some. CM being one.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 12:15 PM, orchis said:

I chose Chiangmai on purpose.

HI Orchis, congrats and glad for you.

Obviously you are aware that with your history you will be a 'borderline case' for many immigration officers, hence your choice for the Chaing Mai route.

I guess that you are under 50, and therefore 'condemned' to Tourist Visa/Visa Exempt, otherwise a Non-Imm OA Visa would for sure be a far simpler option for you.

Cheers and Enjoy Land of Smiles!

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

HI Orchis, congrats and glad for you.

Obviously you are aware that with your history you will be a 'borderline case' for many immigration officers, hence your choice for the Chaing Mai route.

I guess that you are under 50, and therefore 'condemned' to Tourist Visa/Visa Exempt, otherwise a Non-Imm OA Visa would for sure be a far simpler option for you.

Cheers and Enjoy Land of Smiles!

Thank you. I am looking into the Non Imm OA for the future but I do not wish to stay here all year round, so I don't know if that would the best option. I usually do 8+4 (4 Europe).

24 minutes ago, orchis said:

Thank you. I am looking into the Non Imm OA for the future but I do not wish to stay here all year round, so I don't know if that would the best option. I usually do 8+4 (4 Europe).

With a OA long stay visa or a 1 year extension of stay you do not have to stay here the entire year.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

With a OA long stay visa or a 1 year extension of stay you do not have to stay here the entire year.

Indeed, during the 1 year validity of your Non-Imm OA Visa (long stay / multiple entry) you can leave/enter Thailand as much as you want.  During that first year you only need to file a 90-day report when you have stayed 90 consecutive days in Thailand (and the teller goes back to 0 when in mean-time you left and re-entered).

When you re-enter just before the validity of the Visa expires, you are stamped in again for a full year.  During that 2nd year you also need to file your 90-day reports when applicable, but you will also need to apply for a re-entry permit to keep your permit to stay alive when leaving Thailand during that 2nd year period.  At the end of the 2nd year, you have the option to apply for an extension of stay, but to do so you need to fulfill the financial requirements (800.000/400.000 THB in a Thai bank-account during 5/12 months, or monthly income of +65000 THB).  Of course, if you do not like to park your money on a Thai bank-account, you can of course re-apply for a new Non-Imm OA Visa in your homecountry.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You would however need to purchase insurance, which is then useless while outside of the country. 

I assumed that was his point. 

17 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

You would however need to purchase insurance, which is then useless while outside of the country. 

Not needed for a one year extension of stay.

18 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

I assumed that was his point. 

Not sure that is what he meant.

1 minute ago, LivinLOS said:

You seem very convinced, despite statements to the contrary from many many sources, including Phuket just today. 

I think your misread that story. It seemed very clear it was not needed for a extension of stay.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

I think your misread that story. It seemed very clear it was not needed for a extension of stay.

My read on the Phuket piece today is that it is applicable to OA, however Phuket appear to be willing to 'convert' an OA to an O in the extension process (tho the officer actually refused to confirm this). 

That doesnt state it isnt required for an OA, in fact the opposite, it merely confirms that they are prepared to consider retirement applications going forward as being changed to O class extensions (an idea that has been hammered around multiple times, including what happens when someone has a marriage extension before going 'back' to a retirement etc). 

How else can you read it ?? 

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not needed for a one year extension of stay.

Not sure that is what he meant.

Insurance obligation would not be my main concern, I think the general obligatory/or not issue will also become more clear in the near future.

Edited by orchis

4 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

My read on the Phuket piece today is that it is applicable to OA,

A OA visa issued by a embassy or consulate and a extension of stay issued by immigration are not same thing.

It has been stated by many that a extension of stay does not require the insurance. That is why they mentioned getting a non-o visa.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A OA visa issued by a embassy or consulate and a extension of stay issued by immigration are not same thing.

It has been stated by many that a extension of stay does not require the insurance. That is why they mentioned getting a non-o visa.

I really dont see how you read that.. 

The officer made it clear, that an OA visa generated permission of stay WOULD need insurance. They again confuse permission of stay and visa but as this is talking about in country it can only mean extensions be default. 

The mandatory health insurance requirement is to come into effect next Thursday (Oct 31).

Under the new regulation, all foreigners applying for a one-year permit to stay on an O-A visa must have health insurance coverage for up to B40,000 for outpatient services and up to B400,000 for inpatient services.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/mandatory-health-insurance-for-retirees-falls-flat-as-non-imm-o-visa-loophole-exposed-73376.php#GuXAf8KVbe8MWPlL.99

How you can read that any other way than insurance IS being demanded for that class of extension is baffling to me. 

What is interesting and encouraging is Phuket seem to be of the understanding that converting that permission of stay, to a O based extension of permission of stay, is fair game, hence the 'loophole' of the headline. However the article goes to pains to point out the officer refused to directly say it was possible.

Regarding foreigners exercising the option to change their visa status, Col Kathathorn said, “I don’t want to point out which one is good for any particular foreigners. It is their choice whether they apply under a Non-Immigrant O-A visa or a Non-Immigrant O visa – those are the options. Foreigners can choose which to apply for to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand.”

Col Kathathorn declined to answer any further questions on the issue, and instead referred other officers to give further explanations.

However, like Phuket Immigration Chief Col Kathathorn, Lt Col Worapol also avoided expressly confirming that foreigners can change their visa status from Non-Immigrant O-A to Non-Immigrant O.

13 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

The officer made it clear, that an OA visa generated permission of stay WOULD need insurance. They again confuse permission of stay and visa but as this is talking about in country it can only mean extensions be default. 

So not an extension on the permission of stay! One could read that this statement applies to an Immigration Officer at the airport (or land border) scrutinizing a Non-Imm-O-A. Only he issues the original Permission to Stay. 

Edited by jacko45k

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

So not an extension on the permission of stay! One could read that this statement applies to an Immigration Officer at the airport (or land border) scrutinizing a Non-Imm-O-A. Only he issues the original Permission to Stay. 

This is the Phuket immigration office, who handle extensions.. Talking about extensions.. Not the airport. 

The mandatory health insurance requirement is to come into effect next Thursday (Oct 31).

Under the new regulation, all foreigners applying for a one-year permit to stay on an O-A visa must have health insurance coverage for up to B40,000 for outpatient services and up to B400,000 for inpatient services