Loy Krathong

farang1979

Full moon (as per Bhuddist calendar) is on the 11th.

This is consistent with entries for Loy Krathong.

1 hour ago, farang1979 said:

Thought it may be to do with the moon phase

Absolutely.

Full moon of the 12th lunar month.

Unless the internet is in error (e.g., see Bangkok Full Moon ), the actual full moon in November of 2019 is November 12th.  While perhaps different areas celebrate Loy Krathong on different dates, the opening ceremony here in Chiangmai is November 10th at Thaphae Gate and the big parade ("Grand Krathong Float Processions Contest") is on November 12th (and that's the end of festivities here in Chiangmai).  One can obtain the entire schedule of events here in Chiangmai at the municipal website (see  CM Municipal)

jh

2 hours ago, CMBob said:

Unless the internet is in error (e.g., see Bangkok Full Moon ), the actual full moon in November of 2019 is November 12th.

Indeed the astronomical full moon is on the 12th.

This is why I wrote:

Full moon (as per Bhuddist calendar) is on the 11th.

I am not that deep in Thai calendar magic but as I understand there is some "council of the wise" that determines the actual date of celebration. Seemingly varies by plus/minus one day.

For details you would need to address an expert in Thai Buddhism.

23 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I am not that deep in Thai calendar magic but as I understand there is some "council of the wise" that determines the actual date of celebration. Seemingly varies by plus/minus one day.

For details you would need to address an expert in Thai Buddhism.

This year the day is the 11th but, when i have been to our local party at the klong most wait until midnight when the moon is directly overhead they put the float things in the water therefore it will become the 12th. init. And it is ALWAYS the first full moon in November

Archived