BANGKOK
webfact

Retirement in Thailand… Too naive?

Retirement in Thailand… Too naive?

By The Phuket News

1571402940_1-org.jpg

Will the mandatory health insurance for all foreigners staying in Thailand on the Non-Immigrant O-A ‘retirement visa’ coming into effect on Oct 31 leave elderly expats in Thailand with nothing to look forward to? Photo: The Phuket News

The mandatory health insurance requirement for all foreigners staying in Thailand on the Non-Immigrant O-A “retirement visa” will come into effect on Oct 31. The move to force all elderly expats staying in country to take out health insurance at exorbitant rates will have a dramatic, if not damning, impact on thousands of lives. Here is a letter sent to The Phuket News from a Swedish expat who has been living in Phuket for the past nine years. The letter draws a harrowing, poignant image of the bleak future that awaits many such expats once the mandatory health insurance requirement kicks in.

With my friend, the ambassador, I enjoyed talking about our many visits to Thailand and the work with economists associated with trade unions during the past 35 years and many Thai leaders from different walks of life I had the opportunity to greet, namely at conferences.

That exchange inspired the decision at the age of 75 to move to Phuket nine years ago. My wife and I brought, as many others have done, most of our home, including our furniture, a multitude of books and a piano plus smaller things of importance to our lives.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/retirement-in-thailand…-too-naive-73292.php#WXY5yXRiM8q44647.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-10-21

15 minutes ago, beachproperty said:

Does an additional 400,000 baht to the already 800,000 in the bank....qualify so no need for insurance?

No.