Retirement in Thailand… Too naive?

webfact

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sirineou said:

i still keep the house there, and still come to Thailand for Three months, and Thailand will always be in my future because of my wife.

This is what we do now. Left after a few years of Junta Govt as we saw the writing on the wall.

Glad we did!

Because honestly 2-3 months a year during the better climate both in temps & passable air quality is really the best route. At first we were a bit sad but soon realized we really had a better life & like you said the US has rules in govt & believe it or not many many benefits & safety nets available if needed

32 minutes ago, malibukid said:

America is starting to look very good again

Nothing wrong with the USA dude. Economy is humming, taxes are down, prescription prices are down, gas is cheap and weed is legal on both coasts and if you count the AK, its legal in over half the country, size wise. Place is clean, air is clean, folks drive better, ya got the rule of law, the roads are nicer and food iss good. Its just the USA though, duh, lots of folks with sticks up there, sterile and whiny. No gods in corners or trees being worshipped.

I would never "retire" to Thailand, its too much of a pain for this old stoner and retirement=death, unless retirement would be to have a 24 year old Thai wife in Buriram with a Mazda Pickup (I rode in one the other day and it was slick) and then I would deal with the hassle. and I damn wouldnt die.

But there is no way I would ever be here past March, its disgusting in hot and rainy season. I mean, its been disgusting all day. Winters in Asia, summer in the USA with an F250 4x4 Camper loaded to the gills, Remington 870, a bag of Medmens finest, generator and solar, extra tank and some steaks in the fridge. Taos. Galveston Island. Key West. Dog.

Interesting. If a tourist has an accident, has no travel insurance and ask for money at Gofundme, everybody is complaining. But if the expats with the same risk of an accident and, because they are mostly older, the risk of diseases like cancer, talk about insurances, mostly say they don´t need or can not afford. If you can´t afford, don´t live in another country than your homecountry. 

On 10/21/2019 at 5:05 PM, Is this real said:

Any coup would probably result in things being easier for expats.  A new power group would want to make good with the rest of the world and probably need income.

Agree last coup 5 yrs ago exchange rate was good all round ,has only dropped 30 % plus in that time and still going down ,down , down,

5 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

To test this i am doing a visa run to SATOON this coming saturday 26th.

The new insurance requirement doesn't take effect until Oct. 31, so your trip on the 26th wouldn't be impacted at all.... unless potentially you were coming back on the 31st or after.

Whether any new entries to Thailand from Oct. 31 onward on your existing O-A would trigger the insurance requirement remains up for debate... 

And PS. JFYI if it is any help to you, .... On my visit to Ayuttahya Immigration office today, the Good Woman officer, (Who basically does most of the work, and well, nearly all of the Western Foreigners I think ?) also told me that I could do the 90 report On Line ! ... Just go to their Web site, "Thailand Immigration" ... and I think we know that they say you can report your Accommodation on line also, ? ... but well, ? I could not think of how to Translate "Well, I will believe that when I see it" In to Thai fast enough !!! Har Har ... so I just answered with "Probably See you on 20 Dec anyway" Har Har ...

Like, even with the crusty old Senior man, ... they often can still be quite Polite and helpful in Thailand you know. ... It is just the Globalization coming in from the "Get Moe Money, to buy more votes with, as fast as we can" Politicians. ... Like the so called Anti Money laundering and universal search and working on getting as much tax, from every one they can !!! ... Regulations and with the new Really good international net and IT to do it with !!! ...

And JFYI.

Like the "Do not let any of you bank accounts in Singapore go, ... as you probably will never be able to get them back" Comment from My Singapore Broker ! ... And his continuation that "as an ex banker, he reckons that it will happen in Thailand also soon enough" Like it is an international trend, like not really being able to borrow money in Australia any more if you have no job, .... opinion, ....

So my Advice to all Expats here in Thailand, ... get your self a GOOD Thai Bank Account here ! ... and also Credit cards to go with it, (So that you can access and spend you money, easily any where in the world) ... While you still Can !!!

Personally I believe that the health insurance will be effective in a short time for the simple fact that the one who now asks for visa AO will be with health insurance and that next year he will always have to have health insurance so a depreciation is created with those who have the AO without health insurance.
Considering also the inability of this government to run the country without talking about the health insurance pressure of this government with bribes, to believe that AO visa will be uninsured will surely be naïve

3 hours ago, meechai said:

This is what we do now. Left after a few years of Junta Govt as we saw the writing on the wall.

Glad we did!

Because honestly 2-3 months a year during the better climate both in temps & passable air quality is really the best route. At first we were a bit sad but soon realized we really had a better life & like you said the US has rules in govt & believe it or not many many benefits & safety nets available if needed

Yea , I am sad also, I love Thailand, love the Thai people , I miss it every day, miss my friends and my wife's family (wonderful people)  but I also need to deal with reality.  

5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Nothing wrong with the USA dude. Economy is humming, taxes are down, prescription prices are down, gas is cheap and weed is legal on both coasts and if you count the AK, its legal in over half the country, size wise. Place is clean, air is clean, folks drive better, ya got the rule of law, the roads are nicer and food iss good. Its just the USA though, duh, lots of folks with sticks up there, sterile and whiny. No gods in corners or trees being worshipped.

I would never "retire" to Thailand, its too much of a pain for this old stoner and retirement=death, unless retirement would be to have a 24 year old Thai wife in Buriram with a Mazda Pickup (I rode in one the other day and it was slick) and then I would deal with the hassle. and I damn wouldnt die.

But there is no way I would ever be here past March, its disgusting in hot and rainy season. I mean, its been disgusting all day. Winters in Asia, summer in the USA with an F250 4x4 Camper loaded to the gills, Remington 870, a bag of Medmens finest, generator and solar, extra tank and some steaks in the fridge. Taos. Galveston Island. Key West. Dog.

I'm sure the USA is a great place for Americans to retire. Other nationalities, not so much. You call us aliens on your immigration forms, which makes us feel so welcome.

I'm retired in Thailand, and I'm having one of the best times of my life. You lack imagination, and variety of pursuits.

My Thai GF is 24 years younger than me. Let me suggest, however, that a 24 year old would be a bridge too far for you.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'm sure the USA is a great place for Americans to retire. Other nationalities, not so much. You call us aliens on your immigration forms, which makes us feel so welcome.

I'm retired in Thailand, and I'm having one of the best times of my life. You lack imagination, and variety of pursuits.

My Thai GF is 24 years younger than me. Let me suggest, however, that a 24 year old would be a bridge too far for you.

The USA has no retirement visas. May I suggest our wonderful neighbor Mexico? But they'll probably call you a gringo (a slur word) too just like Americans. 

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The USA has no retirement visas. May I suggest our wonderful neighbor Mexico? But they'll probably call you a gringo (a slur word) too just like Americans. 

Thanks, but too far away.I prefer to stay connected to Australia. I guess Cambodia or the Philippines is my default option if Thailand gets too difficult.

If I was really wealthy, instead of having modest means, I wouldn't stay in one place. I'd move every 2 - 3 months from continent to continent for the optimum living conditions.

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If I was really wealthy, instead of having modest means, I wouldn't stay in one place. I'd move every 2 - 3 months from continent to continent for the optimum living conditions.

This is what I am forced to do currently.. To be honest the constant movement is draining (and I miss my dogs) I need more of a base and then do many short trips from that. 

On 10/22/2019 at 3:19 PM, jamesmith said:

it is so confusing , I went to the Chiangmai immigration to ask about it, I opened my passport to show the officer my retirement visa and asked the male officer if my visa is 0-A and do I need insurance ? He did not look at my visa and said yes it is O-A and you need insurance. So Bad

UbonJoe and others in this thread have stated that those who already hold a Non I O visa do not need this cover when applying for a further annual extension of stay.  Who is right here or should one see the Officer in charge for confirmation? My current extension of stay based on Marriage expires  towards the end of November so wondering if I should apply for the extension before the 31st October?

2 hours ago, Hugh Jarse said:

UbonJoe and others in this thread have stated that those who already hold a Non I O visa do not need this cover when applying for a further annual extension of stay.  Who is right here or should one see the Officer in charge for confirmation? My current extension of stay based on Marriage expires  towards the end of November so wondering if I should apply for the extension before the 31st October?

We'll only find out who's right once the dust has settled after 31st October, but I very much doubt you'll have any problem on a Non-O M (Non-O > 50 are much more likely to get caught up in it despite the new rules not applying to them/us).

if you do then it's a rouge Immigration office/officer rather than the law, however there's no harm in getting your extension early (you'll be extended to the same date anyway) so why not get it done before 31st, then you can happily sit back for 13 months and watch the dust settle. 

3 hours ago, Hugh Jarse said:

The issue of debate seems to be people whose past visas were of the O-A flavor (which is not the same as a regular O visa) and now are on extensions of stay, particularly for retirement. There are varying views of whether or not that group of O-A folks are or aren't covered by the new insurance requirement.

However, if your last actual visa from outside Thailand was not specifically an O-A, then you probably don't need to worry at all.

But if your last visa from outside Thailand WAS an O-A, then it probably would be a prudent move to do your new extension prior to the Oct. 31 date since your timing allows you to do so.

And then as said above, you have a whole year to watch the saga unfold and not have to worry about it for quite some time, at worst.

Archived