Airport biometric systems catch 45,000 overstayers, 1,000 on blacklists

webfact

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a few years we will have to find out that the database has been hacked and all our biometric data, passport scans + photos is on the dark web / street.
P.S. I thought fake news was now fined with 100,000 baht? How does that work if they do it lol.

16 hours ago, webfact said:

A biometrics system is primarily a body and behaviour observation system to identify physiological characteristics by using fingerprint, palm print, voice, face recognition, DNA, iris recognition, retina, and signatures, all of which have been used by the US Central Intelligence Agency and the Federal Bureau of Investigation for the past 25 years.

If this is their definition of a biometric system, all they have done is add the passport scanner to said system.

And to prove the OP title is false news (this should be a very relevant point with the spotlight there is currently on the subject) and is pure BS, I would challenge them to turn their sensors (fingerprint/palm print/voice recognition (?)/iris scan) off and, if the figures given were anywhere near believable, they would achieve 99% of the results they are giving anyway without the technology. Pure hype and justification for the billions spent already.

The above said, biometrics is an excellent tool/tools and will undoubtedly aid the authorities. Just stop throwing out fantasy figures and embarrassing yourselves.

Thailand have found more than 1,000 people on blacklists and watch lists, over 45,000 who overstayed in the kingdom, and about 700 who have arrest warrants, Immigration Police chief Lt-General Sompong Chingduang said on Monday. 

5555. If they had caught 45,000 the TV screens would be running 24 hours a day on re-enactments and photo shoots. <deleted> they had a big spread last week on a girl with about 10 days overstay. ????????????????

Not sure how many airports there are in Thailand.

Just read in another newspaper':

'The Transport Ministry is planning to use a facial recognition system in five upcountry airports as part of its ambitious "smart airport" project to reduce overcrowding, increase safety and boost tourism.

17 hours ago, webfact said:

In a span of just three days, the system has helped police arrest 8,000 illegal immigrants, fake passport holders, overstaying travellers, and legal offenders on arrest warrants.

Call the Guinness book of records I want this news verified and give the man a medal or declared "fake news" and give him a job alongside Surachat !

They can call them Big Joke & Bigger Joke !

17 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Just a matter of time before they start to demand  a DNA tests of every foreigner entering the country, a bood test on arrival. After all, every foreigner is a suspect.

My thought as well, but one does not need to give a blood sample, a simple mouth swab is sufficient. I also note "voice", so will we have to speak into a microphone on arrival at Immigration? Just imagine the build up of queues at Ports of Entry!

17 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Just where are these SIXTEEN INTERNATIONAL airports in Thailand please?

Well, according to the signs, Ubon Ratchathani is one ....by name at least, although the last actual international flight was probably when the Yanks left after the Vietnam War.

5 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

My thought as well, but one does not need to give a blood sample, a simple mouth swab is sufficient. 

That is not Thai logic, double check is better. Now you blood give us little, it easy like TM30, do not make it is so complicated, mosquito take blood you every day too.

17 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Just a matter of time before they start to demand  a DNA tests of every foreigner entering the country, a bood test on arrival. After all, every foreigner is a suspect.

Funny, I was thinking the other day that most governments are going to be doing this at birth in the not-too-distant future. Sadly, on one level it makes sense, then there's the fact that governments are involved... ????

9 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

My thought as well, but one does not need to give a blood sample, a simple mouth swab is sufficient. I also note "voice", so will we have to speak into a microphone on arrival at Immigration? Just imagine the build up of queues at Ports of Entry!

Tourist:"Why on earth do you need a DNA sample from me, I'm just a tourist?

Officer: "Because you might commit a crime. Btw, welcome to Land of Smile! And Btw again, don't forget the TM30 so we'll be able to track you down when you've committed the crime."

17 hours ago, wgdanson said:

1. Suvarnabhumi Airport Greater Bangkok

2. Don Mueang International Airport Bangkok

3. Chiang Mai International Airport Chiang Mai

4. Chiang Rai International Airport - Chiang Rai

5. Hat Yai International Airport - Hat Yai, Songkhla

6. Phuket International Airport - Phuket

7. Samui International Airport - Ko Samui (Bangkok Airways)

8. Krabi International Airport - Krabi

9. Surat Thani International Airport - Surat Thani

10. U-Tapao International Airport - Rayong / Pattaya (Royal Thai Navy)

11. Udon Thani International Airport - Udon Thani

Recently upgraded:

12. Surat Thani

13. Hua Hin

14. Buriram 

15. Tak

16. Surin International Airport - Surin (is still an International Airport and was originally the base of Bangkok Airways. Flights were moved to Buriram for political reasons. However, Surin is still ready to receive diverted flights and does receive private international charters)

17. Betong International Airport - Betong (Scheduled International flights to commence early 2020

Proposed:

18. Nakorn Phathom International Airport - Western Bangkok

Congratulations very well done. Sarcasm has left the room.

Suggestions with an easier improved method of weeding out 

the problem people.... take another step further.

All the people (foreigners) doing the right thing. People that

are long stay supporting their families and in general like it

here ...

Reward those people for their love of the country and the people

In General. God people in .... show some Thanks.

Make changes to the rules people without issues make the road

easier. The report doesn’t address what and who you’ve not defined the Root cause.

Now were all lumped together we’re (Expats) in some eyes

are bad all bad guys and punished accordingly. 

My point .. Reward the good guys and the bad guys do whatever 

you feel necessary. Don’t punish good people that have done nothing wrong. 

Hooe someone reads these things things and takes action. I will keep my mouth about the nonsense for now...

shut .... 

I think that the numbers are how many they have found in the system and not really how many that they have apprehend. And I also know that there are more people than that, this is because I know that my friends farmhands aren't even in the system... they didn't pass immigration when entering Thailand!

Quote:-

"17 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Most of the domestic airports throughout the country are regarded as "International" especially those where Air Asia offer "Fly-Thru" facilities to International destinations. My regional airports at Khon Kaen and Udon Thani are "international" in their own right. Immigration clearance for Air Asia passengers is done at these airports - TM6 processed, biometric scan (4 fingers of right hand only) and passport stamped before entering the International Departure lounge. On take-off you have technically left Thailand and at Don Meuang you are in "transit" when changing planes. If you book baggage into the hold, you collect at your International destination and on return to Thailand, you collect from the carousel in the local International Arrivals Hall. From personal experience, I know Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai are also International airports.

6 minutes ago, Estrada said:

1. Suvarnabhumi Airport Greater Bangkok

2. Don Mueang International Airport Bangkok

3. Chiang Mai International Airport Chiang Mai

4. Chiang Rai International Airport - Chiang Rai

5. Hat Yai International Airport - Hat Yai, Songkhla

6. Phuket International Airport - Phuket

7. Samui International Airport - Ko Samui (Bangkok Airways)

8. Krabi International Airport - Krabi

9. Surat Thani International Airport - Surat Thani

10. U-Tapao International Airport - Rayong / Pattaya (Royal Thai Navy)

11. Udon Thani International Airport - Udon Thani

Recently upgraded:

12. Surat Thani

13. Hua Hin

14. Buriram 

15. Tak

16. Surin International Airport - Surin (is still an International Airport and was originally the base of Bangkok Airways. Flights were moved to Buriram for political reasons. However, Surin is still ready to receive diverted flights and does receive private international charters)

17. Betong International Airport - Betong (Scheduled International flights to commence early 2020

Proposed:

18. Nakorn Phathom International Airport - Western Bangkok

Also Khon Kaen International where a second terminal is under construction.

Archived