Why You Should Stop Worrying and Learn to Love 5G in Thailand

ASEAN NOW Sales

Why You Should Stop Worrying and Learn to Love 5G in Thailand

5G is coming to Thailand whether you like it or not. Its technological superiority to 4G is indisputable, offering 10x increased speeds and eventually making bandwidths of up to 10 GB per second possible.

Such tremendous speeds will allow you to stream 4K videos in seconds and, combined with increasing storage space, will open the floodgates for larger and more complex apps. Downloading (not streaming) a 2 hour movie in under a minute will be entirely realistic. Video calling will also be more common due to the increase in stability and quality.

5G is bound to shake up high smartphone penetration countries like Thailand in many good ways, particular where consumers are reliant on 3G and 4G rather than wifi. It’s unclear how 5G will affect data pricing in Thailand but increasing data speed and accessibility can only improve efficiency of communication, people’s wellbeing and the economy. Thailand should be the first ASEAN country to adopt 5G as early as 2020, according to the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission.

This may all sound amazing but some people believe that the mass implementation of 5G will endanger our health. Of the beliefs that 5G is dangerous, the most common are that it causes cancer and cell damage. The naysayers will counter this by saying ‘we’ve heard it all before’ with just about every other example of wave-producing technology.

However the internet has become a highly conductive medium for mass hysteria, particularly for health concern-related scaremongering. Does the radio wave technology we have already pose a significant health risk? Not really, most would agree. So then why would an improved version of an established and safe technology suddenly be dangerous?

Electromagnetic sensitivity is a fabricated illness with no scientific evidence to substantiate its existence, yet a significant number of people claim to suffer from it. A character in Better Call Saul is comically depicted as a sufferer, yet what subtracts from the humour is that people actually like this exist. Fortunately EMS seems to be mostly a Western phenomenon, according to Wikipedia, so hopefully we won’t see this invalid concern arising in Thailand.

If you’re still phased by the potential health risks posed by 5G and considering going to extremes to avoid it, like emigrating out of Thailand, be aware that in the next decade or so only the poorest countries won’t be covered. Erricson estimates that 5G will be available to 65% of the world’s population by 2024.

We encourage you to perform independent research on the health implications of 5G but bear in mind that the Sun is a far greater source of electromagnetic radiation.

This post is brought to you by DeeMoney, Thailand’s payment provider. Exchange and send money to 14 countries, register via our app, website or in store. DeeMoney currently has four Bangkok-based currency exchanges but more are on the horizon.

Send money to Australia, Bangladesh,  Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, and Vietnam from just 150 baht per transaction plus a foreign exchange fee.

On 10/21/2019 at 4:59 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Is there anybody out there who needs any of this on a mobile device?

Personally I would be already happy if I would be able to make ordinary phone calls on my DTAC mobile in the village of my gf - about 200km away from Bangkok...

I somewhat agree but 4K is A massive resolution jump which is awesome. Most people said the same about HD(720p) video but when Full HD(1080p) rolled out it was definitely a huge improvement. 4K will ultimately enhance the experience. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

And it's really great watching a 4K movie on a 5 inch screen.................where's that sarkie button?

Smartphone screens are becoming larger in extent. You’ve got the Samsung folding screen for an example. iPhone will release a similar near future. Besides, it’s not that you’ll be forced to since 1080p and 720p will still be available. 5G isn’t meant for phones only, u have got iPads too. <snip> 

Edited by Jai Dee
Troll comment deleted

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

And it's really great watching a 4K movie on a 5 inch screen.................where's that sarkie button?

While watching squinting at a movie in glorious technicolor we will be able to observe the birds and bees plummeting to their deaths as they are getting blasted by the high frequency waves that are harmless :thumbsup:

Got to be worth it hasn't it :wink:

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2019 at 4:01 PM, ThaivisaSales said:

Electromagnetic sensitivity is a fabricated illness with no scientific evidence to substantiate its existence, yet a significant number of people claim to suffer from it.

Very selectively avoiding the harmful effects documented by many to make the technology sound harmless. What exactly is DeeMoney's agenda with this post?

We are about to witness the generation raised on, and addicted to, technology sacrifice their children and grandchildren on that altar of technology. And not just with regards to wireless emissions.

On 10/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, Crossy said:

Brussels have paused 5G rollout due to health concerns.

Which is well proven to cause various lethal cancers.

Whilst I'm not going to be leaving Thailand over the radiation "hazard" from 5G (the air pollution is a far greater concern) I'll not be buying a 5G phone and it certainly won't be entering my home at least not at my bidding.

I think the problem will still be the fixtures on poles every 50(?) m. 

47 minutes ago, Harveyg said:

I think the problem will still be the fixtures on poles every 50(?) m. 

Poles every 50 meters are of course problematic.  That's why they will be using a far simpler - and much scarier - approach. 

With 5G your own device will at same time be transmitter to other devices.  So you will in fact become a mobile 5G hub.  Pure madness...

• Sad 1

On 10/26/2019 at 1:40 AM, Peter Denis said:

Why You Should Start Worrying and Love to Learn More about 5G in Thailand

They are referring to the 5Ghz band Wi-Fi. There was no 5G in 2015. 

That being said, the density of antennas for 5G will be orders of magnitude more than 4G since those frequencies can't penetrate much of anything, so there will be an antenna on every piece of street furniture to get a proper signal.

Based on that fact, 5G will only be available in the densest population centers in the world for the foreseeable future - think stadiums and shopping malls, later rolling out to the CBD districts. Anyone living in a residential area should be "safe" from 5G for a long time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 1:42 AM, smccolley said:

That being said, the density of antennas for 5G will be orders of magnitude more than 4G since those frequencies can't penetrate much of anything, so there will be an antenna on every piece of street furniture to get a proper signal.

Based on that fact, 5G will only be available in the densest population centers in the world for the foreseeable future - think stadiums and shopping malls, later rolling out to the CBD districts. Anyone living in a residential area should be "safe" from 5G for a long time.

Exactly this, most people are totally unaware of the cost and complexity of setting up a 5g network, it's order of a magnitude more expensive than the current system. It's strangely enough also being touted as something entirely NEW, which it isn't, it's just the same internet but faster.

You have it at home already if you have a high speed connection, does it make the web substantially different ? No, its just speed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not so fast. The technology will come at a price - too high for most Thai users (both, for the phones and the data packages). At what cost? You think you can get a 5G phone from say 3,000 THB? Or a 50 gB data package from say 1,500 THB?

Then there are medical and privacy concerns. 5 G might unleash an Orwellian nightmare (look at China if you want to see the writing on the wall).

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 10/26/2019 at 12:58 PM, racket said:

I somewhat agree but 4K is A massive resolution jump which is awesome. Most people said the same about HD(720p) video but when Full HD(1080p) rolled out it was definitely a huge improvement. 4K will ultimately enhance the experience. 

Personally I'd rather watch 4K video on a large screen TV connected by fibre than on a phone connected by 5G.

On 11/25/2019 at 1:47 PM, onlycw said:

Not so fast. The technology will come at a price - too high for most Thai users (both, for the phones and the data packages). At what cost? You think you can get a 5G phone from say 3,000 THB? Or a 50 gB data package from say 1,500 THB?

Then there are medical and privacy concerns. 5 G might unleash an Orwellian nightmare (look at China if you want to see the writing on the wall).

You've never actually been to China have you?

• 4 weeks later...

For me, someone whose on the fence and don't know which opinion to follow. (There are pretty smart people on both sides argueing for and against 5G.) It's a matter of whether the benefits severly outweigh the risks.

4G is perfectly fine for me. Lets be honest, all this extra bandwidth is only needed for video for bog standard apps and websites - the speed isn't going to make a huge bit of difference. Visiting thaivisa in 4g or 5G will be the same experience!

I don't get people who want to watch youtube videos or netflix on the move. Read a book <deleted>, or just sit there and be alone with your thoughts for once. People are becoming link mind zombies who need to constantly consume video and social media content, even while walking. It's changing society.

No wonder were live in an incel society, where men don't want to be hitched to women and women have such high expextation and standards and demanding that men can't meet.

Want a society like Japan where they have a shrinking population where men and women don't know how to be in relationships? Make technology and media consumption more and more normal part of our lives.

Edited by noiceonemate