แดงโซดา

tgeezer

From the golf course today. 
At a ซุ้ม (soom,=kiosk selling refreshments on a golf course) I saw a hand-written sign for แดงโซดา Red soda and เขียวโซดา green soda. I thought that if โซดา is the noun then the modifier should follow itโซดาแดง 
In fact the case is that the drink is Coloured flavouring plus Soda นำ้แดง+โซดา and นำ้ is dropped so known to all Thais (and now to us) as แดงโซดา ! 
นำ้แดง นำ้เขียว are popular poured over crushed ice as well but in this case it is นำ้แขงไสราดนำ้แดง (Ice shaved( slid) pour over red water) . 

Hale’s Blue Boy Brand. Is the name of flavouring syrup. In Thai start with ตรา then say ‘hale blue boy’, in a Thai accent. 

Usually people just say นำ้แดง (w/o bubbles) or (นำ้) แดงโซดา (the soft drink style with bubbles)

นำ้แข็ง does not have to be said as it is the standard delivery ???? I dont think they will sell it without the ice either, as the ice is cheaper per litre than a 7/11 bottle of drinking water.

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

Or even น้ำแข็ง ไสราดน้ำแดง

I understand it to be นำ้แข็งไส the verb ไส is as I explained, and described in English as shaved ice.  The same verb used to describe a wood plane which shaves wood, กบไสไม้ 

I post to show discoveries I have stumbled upon. The explanation of แดงโซดา I got from the caddies, confirmation and the example of shaved ice came from my interlocutor and the wood plane I found in researching ไส 

13 hours ago, nakluapattaya said:

Usually people just say นำ้แดง (w/o bubbles) or (นำ้) แดงโซดา (the soft drink style with bubbles)

นำ้แข็ง does not have to be said as it is the standard delivery ???? I dont think they will sell it without the ice either, as the ice is cheaper per litre than a 7/11 bottle of drinking water.

An exchange of ideas is what the forum is for, no right or wrong. 

I think that when you say that นำ้แข็ง is not needed that you misunderstand me. The glass dish with syrup and condensed milk etc. poured over shaved ice must say shaved ice. 

Sorry about that misunderstanding oxx, I was correcting the spelling แชง to แข็ง and didn’t realise that there was a space after นำ้แข็ง . I am buying a keyboard today so I hope that these damn typos will be reduced. 

Have you noticed how short is the time given for editing? People used to make corrections after the error was pointed out but it was confusing so editing seems to have become restricted but it should be possible to edit a post which had attracted no comment. 

Sorry about that misunderstanding oxx, I was correcting the spelling แชง to แข็ง and didn’t realise that there was a space after นำ้แข็ง . I am buying a keyboard today so I hope that these damn typos will be reduced. 

Have you noticed how short is the time given for editing? People used to make corrections after the error was pointed out but it was confusing so editing seems to have become restricted but it should be possible to edit a post which had attracted no comment. 
Now that you brought up the subject of typos yourself [emoji846]: You have the ไม้โท in the wrong position in นำ้ - it should be น้ำ to be correct.

38 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

Now that you brought up the subject of typos yourself emoji846.png: You have the ไม้โท in the wrong position in นำ้ - it should be น้ำ to be correct.

The typing sequence of tone mark and vowel used to be critical resulting in this น้  ำ  or this นำ ้ (without a space) but it isn’t possible now!  You don’t appear to be able to show it either! 

The typing sequence of tone mark and vowel used to be critical resulting in this น้  ำ  or this นำ ้ (without a space) but it isn’t possible now!  You don’t appear to be able to show it either! 
The typing sequence has to be: น ้ ำ (without the spaces).

Sorry, but I don't understand what it is that I'm not able to show. Please see the attached screen shot of my post as it is shown on my phone.SmartSelect_20191022-154707.jpeg

Ha ha the magic of computers.Posts are not being faithfully reproduced which is excellent because it puts us beyond criticism for typos!You post came to me as “I wrote น้ำ and it should have been นำ้ !” 
I wrote those two words differently but my app gave me นำ้ in both cases. Does one of them appears wrongly on your phone? 

Ha ha the magic of computers.Posts are not being faithfully reproduced which is excellent because it puts us beyond criticism for typos!You post came to me as “I wrote น้ำ and it should have been นำ้ !” 
I wrote those two words differently but my app gave me นำ้ in both cases. Does one of them appears wrongly on your phone? 
Yes [emoji846], I guess we just have to accept that some computers/phones may have problems rendering Thai script correctly.

By the way, I don't see pointing out typos when discussing language as criticism. I certainly didn't mean it like that - just trying to be helpful and I would hope that others will show me the same courtesy.

7 hours ago, nrasmussen said:

Yes emoji846.png, I guess we just have to accept that some computers/phones may have problems rendering Thai script correctly.

By the way, I don't see pointing out typos when discussing language as criticism. I certainly didn't mean it like that - just trying to be helpful and I would hope that others will show me the same courtesy.

I couldn’t agree with you more strongly about criticism, one goes through a phase of using censorious terms to point out how others have got it wrong but it passes.  It has been my earnest desire to encourage people to share their experience of the language here without fear of criticism. I have tried posting in Thai with the sort of freedom enjoyed by European learners of English, hoping for correction but been ignored or getting nothing but English in return. Rather like Thais we seem afraid to say anything in our new language.

Whatever anyone posts is a benefit to somebody, there are ‘lurkers’ here who will post when they are ready. 

12 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Tgeezer, my understanding is that one must type in the following order in order for the word to show correctly: 

"น", "ไม้โธ - ้", then "สระ- ำ". She what happens if the typing order changes.

26 minutes ago, DavidHouston said:

Tgeezer, my understanding is that one must type in the following order in order for the word to show correctly: 

"น", "ไม้โธ - ้", then "สระ- ำ". She what happens if the typing order changes.

I remember this topic from Thai-language.com so I always make sure with that one vowel that I type in the wrong order compared to handwriting which is why I was surprised to learn that it appeared wrongly.  I type as I write น ำ ้  I expect we all do, but now, my programme can accommodate that.  Even ถ ำ ้ = ถ้ำ although the displaced tone mark briefly appears. Is it correctly shown on your screen? 

3 hours ago, tgeezer said:

I remember this topic from Thai-language.com so I always make sure with that one vowel that I type in the wrong order compared to handwriting which is why I was surprised to learn that it appeared wrongly.  I type as I write น ำ ้  I expect we all do, but now, my programme can accommodate that.  Even ถ ำ ้ = ถ้ำ although the displaced tone mark briefly appears. Is it correctly shown on your screen? 

ถ้ำ น้ำ looks right to me.

Archived