Usefull commonly used slang and misspelling on purpose

nakluapattaya

Stuff that may come in handy in chats. Mostly used by youth, and the newer generation.

confusing words:

เค้า Versatile word for either; Me, You, He/She. Still confuses me from time to time.

เรา Actually is ment to mean us (พวกเรา this will always mean us) but is sometimes used for "me".

เธอ Actually means she (female) but is used for both genders as "you".

เขา Actually means he (male) but also used for bother genders as "He/She".

อี(...) Mostly used for insulting/swearing, but can used as a funny word between intimate friends. ex; อีอ้วน damn fatty! อีชะนี damn gibbon! (used to insult woman by other woman, typically caused by jealousy) This is always insulting if used with strangers or unintimate relations.

ไอ้(...) Same as above but usually of a less stronger meaning. Can be more often used as funny word between intimate friends or lovers. Ex; ไอ้อ้วน damn fatty! (typically used as a nickname for a male lover by a female) Becarefull this word can become very powerfull if combined with some other words. Ex; ไอ้บ้า Damn lunatic! This is in no situation funny, and will always be an insult.

บัก(...) Same as the words above but coming from Isaan language, but is used everywhere these days. depending on combination can either be funny or insulting. Not 100% sure but i think this word does not mean "damn". Someone please correct me on this one.

กวน Annoying, disturbing, harrasing, minding in someone elses business too much.

กวนตีน Same as the above, but with a very strong meaning almost very insulting. Never polite.

เยส Can be both "Yes" from english, or "having sexual intercourse" in a very rude way of saying it. Usually the latter.

เย/เย้ส/เย้จ/เยิด Same as above but always means the latter one. Common variant of เย็ด.

หี/หอย/จิม/จิมิ Slang for "vagina" with the first 2 being very rude.

ฝรรดี Mistyping on purpose for "Good night", "Sweet dreams". If you look at the thai keyboard layout on smartphones u will understand why.

คร๊าบ/คร๊าฟ/คับ/ครัช Various commonly used variations for "Krab/ครับ".

จ้า Yes, OK, Ka. Used by females. Can be used to express being annoyed if pronounced with a very long Jaaah! sound. Like OK i get it, now move on!

เย้/เยี่ยม Yeaaaah! (expression for excitement)

เช็ค Check, inspect, commonly used came from english

แชร์ Share, like in share the bill, or share food. Also from english.

เค Ok! K!

เออ/เออๆ Rude way of expressing annoyance.

เบลอ (Blur) from english, usually to say that someone is delusional and acting crazy. Ex; You suspect your GF is being too intimate with another guy. อย่าเบลอ! Dont be delusional, dont be crazy.

16 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Was useful deliberately misspelt?

Nope, im not a native english speaker, but i do speak 5 different languages.

Hope some minor mistakes in English does not bother you then ???? I shall try to remember Useful.

Please be OT. Would be alot nicer if u also had some things to add to this list! Its about Thai language after all, not the English one ????

เวอร์  ver! 

From English word “over”. 

If exagerrate to much something. It to excited something. To much. 

Like over-reaction. Over excited. 

Ps. Hope you understand, maybe someone speak English better can explain. 

12 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I always get sweet dreams mixed up with good teeth.

Haha, you dont need to get those mixxed up xD You dont say good teeth before sleep, and the dentist wont say good night to you ???? But i understand, i, myself; i suck at pronounciation and listening. But im fairly good with Thai script. To be honest i dont hear any differences between those 2 words.

6 minutes ago, Yinn said:

เวอร์  ver! 

From English word “over”. 

If exagerrate to much something. It to excited something. To much. 

Like over-reaction. Over excited. 

Ps. Hope you understand, maybe someone speak English better can explain. 

Cool, i will check into this one. Is it ok i will add contributions to the list as well?

11 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

You mean: "It's a fact, she is Thai, so she's cheating, of course"?

I dont understand what you mean. It can be used both ways for male and female. If one person is getting suspicious of his/hers partner. That person will say things like; "What is this about? Why do you spend so much time with ....? Do you guys have something together? " in which the other can respond: อย่าเบลอ! Yha-Blur! (Dont be blurred/delusional/ dont be silly, of course not!) Its a response on somebody who is suspicious on you. Its not confirming a fact.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Newbie alert . Barton down the hatches and prepare to repel all boreders.

Newbie poster, long time lurker here. ????Advanced Member huh, nice you must have some awesome Thai language skills and experience to add many cool or useful words to the list here!

อี for females ไอ้ for males. 

Easy for me to remember because one of the first words I learnt was อีดอก - tart, prostitute, hooker.  A neighbour called George is referred to as ไอ้ย๊อด he is very queeny.  But! people now try to blur this distinction, I feel that อี ไอ้ both show disapproval.  

12 hours ago, SteveK said:

I always get sweet dreams mixed up with good teeth.

If you say “fan dee dee na” it will b

13 hours ago, nakluapattaya said:

ฟาย Calling someone stupid or dumb always used with "อี" อีฟาย!

เชี้ย Slang for เหี้ย. Less rude.

understood. Everything in context though, seeing these words in isolation is like trying to learn vocabulary, very difficult. In the context of departing from someone who was going home to sleep, it is difficult to see how they would think that fan dee dee meant good teeth! 

The next comment is for nakluapattaya which somehow interrupted my flow. 

When kids say อีฟาย they probably do not know the distinction between อี and ไอ้ also they probably do not realise that it comes from ควาย which is more easily understood to mean dumb. 

This is the problem, in what age should we place ourselves? I am firmly in the old codgers camp and when I hear stuff like this I don’t copy it. 

edit. Old codger, ในวัยชารา or มีอายุสูง or อรวุโส 

8 hours ago, tgeezer said:

This is the problem, in what age should we place ourselves? I am firmly in the old codgers camp and when I hear stuff like this I don’t copy it. 

ฟาย and ควาย as far as i know are unrelated. Observed as used often in the 18-28 age range.

I see how it is annoying for older people, i spoke to some older Thai people as well who expressed being deeply annoyed by the youth "raping" "messing up" the Thai language.

8 hours ago, tgeezer said:

อี for females ไอ้ for males. 

They are both used for both male, female, and objects.

New one:

กาก Sucks/Bad. As in; "He sucks at playing football". Pretty strong and offensive.

สัส Same as สัตว์ but always used to curse or insult. Never to be used to refer to actual animals. "ไอ้สัส/อีสัส".

หรั่ง Slang for ฝรั่ง but never used for the fruit.

สีดา Isaan word for ฝรั่ง but sometimes used as jokingly refering to foreigners "บักสีดา". Used nationwide.

ปัง Used as a short word for bread, but can be used as alternative for สวย, mostly for objects like clothing.

แริด/แรด Mostly used as แรง, mostly to refer to young female with a wild lifestyle (tattoos, taking drugs, having alot of intercourse with guys). Not listening to their parents.

สก๊อย Refers to female members (passengers) of the เด็กแว๊น motorbike and car subculture/lifestyle. Or the girls dancing on the back of a pickup truck with loud music partying in parking areas. Usually partly synonymous with the word above. Typically dressed in short skirts and and alot of skin exposed, dyed hair, and fake boobs, and tattoos.

966873-img.ruke88.1nqp5.jpg

I am sitting in the park now with our little running club and one of the younger chaps (26 years old)saw your cartoon and it started a discussion. He asked me if I knew สก๊อย, he couldn’t explain so asked his girlfriend.  I hadn’t read your piece where you have explained it very well.    He has had a tech. education and the tone rules are only vaguely remembered so he doesn’t remember why แว้น has เสียงโท. Using the fingers to find the tone didn’t seem to work for him.  Afterwards I found that I can’t do that with a low consonant either, I have thrown out all my primary school books which might have helped. She said of สก็อย นั่งซ้อนท้าย and when I questioned ซ้อนท้าย she indicated with her hands that the bodies were touching, I think! One doesn’t want to be boring by asking too much.  

Turning to the title of the cartoon นิยามสก๊อยบ้านนอก  (a sagoy country bumkin defined) are we to assume that there are two types of สก๊อย or has บ้านนอก been added to show how unsophisticated the publisher sees สก๊อย? 

Have you heard of ม๊าว or perhaps เม๊า for mouth? I think it refers to someone who ดูหมื่น you in speech but can’t be sure.  

The glorious thing about this topic is that whatever we say is beyond criticism! 

One might suppose that อี ไอ้ are interchangeable but then an important aspect of language has been lost in so doing.  To misuse a word like ฟาย doesn’t make sense literally, or do i mean, literally doesn’t make sense? There you see, the language I use would have met with disapproval by previous generations.

Slang cannot be trusted to be understood in all social groups and also it goes out of fashion.  For example, years ago this forum was excited about ชิมิ for ใช่ไหม, part of the secret language employed by cabin crew on airlines but I haven’t heard that for ages. 

Anyway, I have to thank you for your post which made for a very convivial discussion at the park. 

Oh I almost forgot, I referred to myself as คนชารา  and I was corrected, I am ผู้วัยชรา and not คนมีอายุสูง but ผู้วัยสูงอายุ,  my previous post probably has a few mistakes in that regard as well. 

11 hours ago, tgeezer said:

I am sitting in the park now with our little running club and one of the younger chaps (26 years old)saw your cartoon and it started a discussion

Interesting read ???? I agree many things dont make sense, and its always a mistery how versatile words can be in Thai.

Im not intending to show these words as an example to use in conversation, i just show them for people to be more capable to read texts, chat conversations, and thai language forums perhaps. When i first started using Thai language to chat, in thai language forums, and apps. I became very confused of how many words i did not understand yet. The formal language taught at school was clearly not enough, so picked alot of them up in recent years. Helped me getting a much clearer understand of what was going on in conversations and chats.

Archived