Daily self of achievement living in Thailand

BestB

I agree that there is a feeling of great satisfaction at dealing with the ever increasing red tape aimed at foreigners . Reading some of the stories here make me thankful I'm in a position where when I have to deal with officialdom, most of the donkey work is done for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

The driving license renewal is particularly baffling. 2-3 hours of queuing, a video, queuing, some basic tests, more queuing, payment and finally you are handed a piece of plastic with your name and photo on which in no uncertain terms proves you can actually drive!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Because it is not about what you know but how hard it was to get it ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

An International Head Office plus a local BOI business.

But the good news is that I don't have Elephantiasis. ????

It all depends how you look at it, if it is good news or not.

While it appears to be good news, infact it is not  and i will tell you why.

Because you do not have it, you are at risk and open to get it.

My theory is best to get all, then no longer need to worry about getting it again????

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

None of this is too difficult if one uses an agent, or has a Thai GF. Plus a smartphone with books and music available while waiting.

My daily sense of achievement in Thailand is getting back to my condo unscathed after travelling on my scooter or in my car anywhere between a few minutes and several hours. Thai traffic sets a skills examination every day. Ten years so far, touch wood.

Less frequently, breaking 40 or 80 around my local golf course.

The fairy tale of agents doing your DL is just that a fairy tale, you still have to go through the entire process and neither agent or gf or a wife can sign on your behalf ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

The fairy tale of agents doing your DL is just that a fairy tale, you still have to go through the entire process and neither agent or gf or a wife can sign on your behalf ????

My Thai GF was an enormous help when I converted from the 2-year provisional licence to the 5 year. An agent assisted me when I got my 2-year provisional licence, converting from an IDP. All I needed was a medical certificate, and I was asked to identify the colours of a traffic light. No indoctrination, no riding or driving test. Perhaps requirements have been tightened up since I went.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My Thai GF was an enormous help when I converted from the 2-year provisional licence to the 5 year. An agent assisted me when I got my 2-year provisional licence, converting from an IDP. All I needed was a medical certificate, and I was asked to identify the colours of a traffic light. No indoctrination, no riding or driving test. Perhaps requirements have been tightened up since I went.

Not much has changed and still takes 3-4 hours of feeing around . As if colourblindness came on after initial 2 years. In my case onto 3rd 5 year and they still checking . If I was not colourblind 18 years ago, I sure did not develop it later in life 

but most importantly, by letting gf or agent help you.you take away all your pride and miss out on having an amazing feel of achievement????

Edited by BestB
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, BestB said:

Do you know the process for DL Thai people go through? Yet to meet a Thai who said it was easy or basic. All complain how hard and time consuming it is.

It's not hard enough if you ask me and scoot, wave type bike, motorbike and car/truck driver should be examined driving on the road before they get a DL.

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

It's not hard enough if you ask me and scoot, wave type bike, motorbike and car/truck driver should be examined driving on the road before they get a DL.

Totally agree and this is precisely why 3-4 days of <deleted> around and time wasting is just that time wasting as drivers/riders are not tested on the open road, in real traffic and real situations 

what is more frustrating is having to go through all the circus to renew. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BestB said:

but most importantly, by letting gf or agent help you.you take away all your pride and miss out on having an amazing feel of achievement????

I did my extension last week without the assistance of an agent. I think I felt relief rather than achievement, although I did celebrate the cost saving with a decent steak at an Italian restaurant.

I take pride in other things I won't bore posters with. Everyone has different takes on what improves their self-esteem.????

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BestB said:

In Thailand, it takes hours of this and that and more of this and more of that and office is out of town and its always full as there is only one serving entire town.

After renewing DL in Thailand, it feels like an achievement

Yes, much in the same way that hitting your own head with a hammer is nice because it feels great when you stop.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm.... It's almost like they dont want us living here innit? (be still my mouth)

Nah, its not any easier for Thai . Difference is we have something to compare it to where as Thai do not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2019 at 9:52 PM, BestB said:

Back in Oz, to renew DL is as easy as getting on line or just walk into office, take a number, few mins wait, get served, photo and you out in 10-15 mins

How does the quality of driving compare between the two countries? ????

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Thaifly88 said:

A wonderfully written piece of creative writing - in summary, the more mindless obstacles that are thrown in your way, the greater the sense of satisfaction when you manage to overcome them, unlike in a modern streamlined country where it is all too easy ????

I also agree, west should follow thAi ways to provide people with opportunities to be satisfied ????????

Just now, robblok said:

Its amazing that its harder to get a driving license in a foreign country then in your own. What an amazing concept. I wonder how tourists get a license in Oz.. im sure its easy ????

Tourists get their license same way as Australians , just as tourists get their licenses same way as Thai 

1 minute ago, PatOngo said:

I think road toll numbers are a fair indication.

Roads are bigger in Oz and either way , reason for thai road deaths is the tourists who ride/drive without a DL. Have you forgotten what general said few weeks ago ?????????

• Haha 1