Best island for a short 3 day get away?

seancar29

Hello all,

I will for the first time be visiting the Pattaya area for a week or so with the wife.

Normally we are over on the west of Thailand so we find Samui the best option for a beach holiday. This time we will be Chonburi and Pattaya for a short time and would like a few days on an island.

Can anyone advise the best island to visit for maybe three days or so. Looking for a beach hotel to chill out, nothing too fancy but about 2000 baht a night is comfortable. Sunsets etc are the order of the day.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sean

I would suggest your best bet for a nice island near Pattaya would be Koh Samet, just outside of Rayong ... pier in Ban Phe.

Although it has changed quite a bit over the years, there are still very nice beaches ... just avoid the first one, Had Sai Kaew (it's little China now.)

But further down, i.e. Silver Sand Hotel (Ao Phai) was very nice for a long weekend break last year.

Koh Chang is great, always enjoy it there, but 4 hours away from Pattaya ...

Koh Samet only a short 1.5 hours

If OP can rent a car, it's a nice drive to Koh Chang and you can take your car with the ferry onto the island. 

Definitely a lot more choice and things to do on Koh Chang for a long weekend.

Yes Ko Samet.  Try for Malibu Resort on the southeast part of the island.  Not the big city.  Fine little hotels, nightly beach barbecues,  fun snorkel boat excursion you can go on for half day with lunch.  Usual massages available, etc.  Not much night life, so it is Bring your own entertainment.  Now having said that, I have not been there since 2004 during the Tsunami!  But looking at some Youtube posts, it doesn't seem to have changed too much in that area anyway.

Hi

i hope you will not be disapointed visiting Pattaya with your wife

unless you have a specific attraction for something special like the golf

there is not a lot to do or see here for a couple of westerners.

For your specific question Koh Larn at 20 minutes of boat of Pattaya is

good you can start from the city in the morning and back at the end of the afternoon.

Koh Samet is less easy and more expensive option and you need to go for 2 or 3 days minimum.

Also at this season somes days are raining. From some minutes to all day long, you never really know when the rain starts and end, so personaly i should prefer a short trip to Koh larn. more convenient to cancel or do shorter if the weather is not good, If you go to Koh Samet and if you have rain you can easily dying in boredom because exept the beach there is nothing to do on the island.

Koh Laan would be good for just a day, has one really nice beach only, other beaches on this island are just OK. (Thien beach, its nicer than any other beach in this part of Thailand) and takes a 20min drive to fully explore.

Samet can be done and explored in 2 days (1 night)

Koh Chang would be better for 3 days, u can have a night out there. And most fun to explore on a bike, very steep hills and bad roads! But its fun!

5 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Hi

good you can start from the city in the morning and back at the end of the afternoon.

Koh Samet is less easy and more expensive option and you need to go for 2 or 3 days minimum.

Also at this season somes days are raining. From some minutes to all day long, you never really know when the rain starts and end, so personaly i should prefer a short trip to Koh larn. more convenient to cancel or do shorter if the weather is not good, If you go to Koh Samet and if you have rain you can easily dying in boredom because exept the beach there is nothing to do on the island.

ko Samet is the driest island in Thailand. In six years ive never seen it rain all day.

6 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Hi

Is his wife a westerner ?

Did you miss the part about wanting to see the sunsets.

I would opt for Koh Chang, perhaps consider staying near the ferry the night before if you have along journey on day one. Consider somewhere like Pailin resort about 35 mins from the ferry terminal.

4 hours ago, Sametboy2019 said:

ko Samet is the driest island in Thailand. In six years ive never seen it rain all day.

Then the climate has probably changed in the last 6 years

i was going to Samet 2 times (20 years ago and 10 years ago)

and 2 times i have had at least one raining day in the week

3 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Is his wife a westerner ?

Did you miss the part about wanting to see the sunsets.

If his wife was Thai. i presume she knows already about Thailand

so he doesn't have to ask some questions here. But i can be wrong.

I didn't miss the part about the sunsets, the only problem is 

it only takes one hour a day, and you can't enjoy it if the sky is cloudly 

(It's the case half of the time at this season)

18 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

If his wife was Thai. i presume she knows already about Thailand

so he doesn't have to ask some questions here. But i can be wrong.

I didn't miss the part about the sunsets, the only problem is 

it only takes one hour a day, and you can't enjoy it if the sky is cloudly 

(It's the case half of the time at this season)

That is true about the sunsets although I think the OP wants the opportunity to sit and watch them.

Differing views re the wife...... I assumed “they” lived in the west of Thailand as Farang/Thai. My wife, who is a Thai, knew nothing of northern Thailand until I took her there.

34 minutes ago, moonseeker said:

Koh Larn?? Serious?? Been there lately....??? Google it... Or join the Chinese on Beach Rd... 

Samet, Ao Pai, Samed  Villa. Or time allowing, Koh Chang. 

Enjoy.  MS>

Go from Jomtien to the beach on the west? side, very few Chinese.

Thanks for all the replies.

The wife is Thai and we live in London but do have a house in Ranong, near Chumphon.

It looks like Koh Samet will be the best bet for a few days.

Any recommendations for a beach resort/hotel?

Which is the best beach to stay at?

Many thanks

Sean

1 hour ago, seancar29 said:

Which is the best beach to stay at?

Many thanks

Sean

Don't know today but 10 years ago Ao Phutsa was very nice

with some bungalows just behind the beach.

Ao Nuan is smaller and not great for swimming with rocks in the water

anyway you can go from this beach to the other just walking few minutes.

In my opinion, Koh Chang is a better chance than Koh Samet. Been to both. Not much to do in Koh Samet. Check out cottages for rent in Koh Samet..  You can walk around to several beaches that are not crowded. Wherever, enjoy and make the best of your get away.

Koh Larn....been to both many times and loved them!!

On the beach.....Xanadu Beach Resort / right on the water / free loungers for guests    

http://xanadubeachresort.com/

In the Village.....Bee Orchid Pool Villa...walking distance to pier....restaurant directly across the road....central part of island / if you drive a scooter great for getting around to any of the beaches     

https://www.facebook.com/pg/BEE-Orchid-POOL-VILLA-1676725825946805/posts/?ref=page_internal

Direct flights from  Utapo  or Swampy (swampy flights are easier to catch boat) to Samui and slightly discounted now.  Get to samui and pay 400 baht in airport for taxi and seatran boat to koh phangan 1pm and 4:30 boats 30 minute ride.  Really not a bad commute.  I do the opposite to visit Pattaya for 3 day trips.  Bring sand to the beach here cause the beaches are nice but the bars are quiet..  Great island to motorbike around and explore, roads are all in great shape now can even go to the east island beaches over the mountain.  No need to prebook any accomidation or at most first night.  Everywhere has beds.

In my opinion, Koh Chang is a better chance than Koh Samet. Been to both. Not much to do in Koh Samet. Check out cottages for rent in Koh Samet..  You can walk around to several beaches that are not crowded. Wherever, enjoy and make the best of your get away.
Koh Kood is nicer. More like 5 hours but worth it to get away from all the people,bars, convenience stores and rubbish. I'm not biased but my wife can sell you rooms if you pm me. Klong-Chao-Beach-in-Koh-Kood.jpg.optimal.jpg.cf.jpeg

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just returned from Koh Lan after spending 2 nights, 3 days. OK, been there, done that but won’t plan a return. Samae Beach stay, China central during the day as a continuous stream of boats bring in the Chines tourists. Earlier visit to Koh Saket was OK but I’m for exploring other places. We also spent 3 nights along the Chanthaburi coast at Chaolao Beach. Laid back, nice hotel. Would visit again.

If you are set on Koh Samet then I would suggest going to Ao Phrao.  It's on the west side of the island so you will have sunsets.  I took my parents there back in 1996 when they came for a visit.  It was nice and secluded.  10 years later and it was pretty built up but still nice.  You can take a speed boat directly there and avoid going through the park entrance and all the fees you'll have to pay.  A lot faster too.  

There are also beaches further south that might be good.  I haven't stayed at them because back in the late 90's there wasn't much built.  I rode my mtn bike all over the island.  Most of the places to stay face east or SE.  Not the best for sunsets.

Have you thought about Koh Si Chang?  It's closer to Pattaya than either Koh Samet or Koh Chang.  

Ther are always nice islands to visit quite close where ever you go in Thailand. However, you are going to Pattaya.

The question here is what you like to do? Are you night people and like things happening around you? Then your best choice is still Kho Samed. Here you will find relaxing night with show and fresh seafood at the beach. Much people and variety of international and thai cuisine. That as well as nice beaches daytime and quite a lot of small bars all over the place. Will be totally possible to have a nice place to stay for 2000 baht per night.

If you like to look at things, wander around and just be by yourself for a couple of days, then I would recommend Kho See Chang, which is a small island outside of Sri Racha that is only about 18 km from Pattaya. This Island offers nice variety of food as well. No much nightlife but a couple of bars exists. In return you will find much to get out and look at. For example a nice historical park, a small marine museum and a natural cave up in the islands mountain. Are you fit, then you can also try to walk up the long stairs up on another maountian with a lovely sight all over the island and it´s small harbour. Also this Island have a nice secluded beach with fiar priced bungalows that suits your budget of 2000 per night.

Kho Larn that some people here rekommend is a lovely place, but unfortunately taken over totally by the chinese tourists day out and day in. I can unfortunately not recommend that place no more.

On 10/22/2019 at 7:01 AM, Jip99 said:

Koh Samet is less easy and more expensive option and you need to go for 2 or 3 days minimum

Isn't that what the poster wanted??!!

On 10/21/2019 at 10:14 PM, seancar29 said:

Can anyone advise the best island to visit for maybe three days or so.

I personally would recommend Koh Samed although it's changed tremendously in the last 20 years.  I was there a few weeks ago for 3 days and thoroughly enjoyed it.  The food choices on the beach are superb.

It should be noted that plastic bags and foam are banned on the island.  Even the 3 x 7/11's don't issue plastic bags.  That in itself was a surprise.

33 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Isn't that what the poster wanted??!!

I personally would recommend Koh Samed although it's changed tremendously in the last 20 years.  I was there a few weeks ago for 3 days and thoroughly enjoyed it.  The food choices on the beach are superb.

It should be noted that plastic bags and foam are banned on the island.  Even the 3 x 7/11's don't issue plastic bags.  That in itself was a surprise.

You seem to have cocked-up quoting me..... they are not my words about Samet, never been there.

Not an issue, just pointing it out...... and I gave you a like for the info about plastic bags...

Archived