BANGKOK
seancar29

Best island for a short 3 day get away?

Hello all,

I will for the first time be visiting the Pattaya area for a week or so with the wife.

Normally we are over on the west of Thailand so we find Samui the best option for a beach holiday. This time we will be Chonburi and Pattaya for a short time and would like a few days on an island.

Can anyone advise the best island to visit for maybe three days or so. Looking for a beach hotel to chill out, nothing too fancy but about 2000 baht a night is comfortable. Sunsets etc are the order of the day.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sean

I would suggest your best bet for a nice island near Pattaya would be Koh Samet, just outside of Rayong ... pier in Ban Phe.

Although it has changed quite a bit over the years, there are still very nice beaches ... just avoid the first one, Had Sai Kaew (it's little China now.)

But further down, i.e. Silver Sand Hotel (Ao Phai) was very nice for a long weekend break last year.

Edited by RedPill
  • Like 2

Yes Ko Samet.  Try for Malibu Resort on the southeast part of the island.  Not the big city.  Fine little hotels, nightly beach barbecues,  fun snorkel boat excursion you can go on for half day with lunch.  Usual massages available, etc.  Not much night life, so it is Bring your own entertainment.  Now having said that, I have not been there since 2004 during the Tsunami!  But looking at some Youtube posts, it doesn't seem to have changed too much in that area anyway.

Hi

i hope you will not be disapointed visiting Pattaya with your wife

unless you have a specific attraction for something special like the golf

there is not a lot to do or see here for a couple of westerners.

For your specific question Koh Larn at 20 minutes of boat of Pattaya is

good you can start from the city in the morning and back at the end of the afternoon.

Koh Samet is less easy and more expensive option and you need to go for 2 or 3 days minimum.

Also at this season somes days are raining. From some minutes to all day long, you never really know when the rain starts and end, so personaly i should prefer a short trip to Koh larn. more convenient to cancel or do shorter if the weather is not good, If you go to Koh Samet and if you have rain you can easily dying in boredom because exept the beach there is nothing to do on the island.

Edited by kingofthemountain

Koh Laan would be good for just a day, has one really nice beach only, other beaches on this island are just OK. (Thien beach, its nicer than any other beach in this part of Thailand) and takes a 20min drive to fully explore.

Samet can be done and explored in 2 days (1 night)

Koh Chang would be better for 3 days, u can have a night out there. And most fun to explore on a bike, very steep hills and bad roads! But its fun!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Hi

good you can start from the city in the morning and back at the end of the afternoon.

Koh Samet is less easy and more expensive option and you need to go for 2 or 3 days minimum.

Also at this season somes days are raining. From some minutes to all day long, you never really know when the rain starts and end, so personaly i should prefer a short trip to Koh larn. more convenient to cancel or do shorter if the weather is not good, If you go to Koh Samet and if you have rain you can easily dying in boredom because exept the beach there is nothing to do on the island.

ko Samet is the driest island in Thailand. In six years ive never seen it rain all day.

6 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Hi

Is his wife a westerner ?

Did you miss the part about wanting to see the sunsets.

I would opt for Koh Chang, perhaps consider staying near the ferry the night before if you have along journey on day one. Consider somewhere like Pailin resort about 35 mins from the ferry terminal.

Koh Larn?? Serious?? Been there lately....??? Google it... Or join the Chinese on Beach Rd... 

Samet, Ao Pai, Samed  Villa. Or time allowing, Koh Chang. 

Enjoy.  MS>

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sametboy2019 said:

ko Samet is the driest island in Thailand. In six years ive never seen it rain all day.

Then the climate has probably changed in the last 6 years

i was going to Samet 2 times (20 years ago and 10 years ago)

and 2 times i have had at least one raining day in the week

3 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Is his wife a westerner ?

Did you miss the part about wanting to see the sunsets.

If his wife was Thai. i presume she knows already about Thailand

so he doesn't have to ask some questions here. But i can be wrong.

I didn't miss the part about the sunsets, the only problem is 

it only takes one hour a day, and you can't enjoy it if the sky is cloudly 

(It's the case half of the time at this season)

18 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

If his wife was Thai. i presume she knows already about Thailand

so he doesn't have to ask some questions here. But i can be wrong.

I didn't miss the part about the sunsets, the only problem is 

it only takes one hour a day, and you can't enjoy it if the sky is cloudly 

(It's the case half of the time at this season)

That is true about the sunsets although I think the OP wants the opportunity to sit and watch them.

Differing views re the wife...... I assumed “they” lived in the west of Thailand as Farang/Thai. My wife, who is a Thai, knew nothing of northern Thailand until I took her there.

• Like 1