Volunteers take a dive – to clean Similan ocean

webfact

Volunteers take a dive – to clean Similan ocean

By The Nation

800_77628f3aa302d61.jpg?v=1571648478

Similan Islands National Park, Aquadive Mermaid Academy Thailand, Scuba School International, Love Andaman tour agency, and scuba dive instructor Asirawat Chuchote – who loves dressing up as a mermaid for the pleasure of tourists – teamed up to launch a campaign called Part of the Ocean, which brought together volunteers to collect marine debris caused by the monsoon.

Most of the participants, dressed as mermaids, dived into the water to clean the ocean, providing a colourful photo-op for tourists visiting the Similan Islands National Park in Phang Nga province.

The campaign aimed to raise awareness among children, teens, and adults of marine waste while inspiring everyone to take part in tackling the problem, since waste, which has been mistaken for food by marine animals, is responsible for injuring or killing wildlife.

Related News:

Back in play, 30 dolphins greet visitors to Similan Islands

Dugong can breathe with ease thanks to new Koh Bong resource management strategy

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377609

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-22

8 hours ago, webfact said:

... to collect marine debris caused by the monsoon.

Ooohhh - this evil evil monsoon!
It shows one more time that the principle of "root cause" isn't really understood in Thailand.
And when I read "marine debris" I think of dead corals, oyster shells and fish bones ...

I have heard the cry of a mermaid,when i was an able seamen,on a pearl clipper off the coast of cappadocia,half the young crew dived off,to the small island,we came in close,too close for my liking,as there were reefs and shoals,the Cap'n,sent out a small boat,to return the miscreants,as we could here moan's of ,how could one say carnal pleasure issuing from the isle,the boat finally made it ashore,but alas the seamen had been turned ,into things resembling large mackerel,some of the greeks aboard wanted to eat them,the bosun,and first mate struck them down with battens,a horrific episode, we sailed away with ears full of cotton wool,lest anyone else was tempted to such a horrific end. Yes they may have pleasures unbounded,rather like a Thai woman,but at least they don't turn you into fish!

Archived