Branded goods not getting cheaper in Thailand any time soon

webfact

By THE NATION

800_580afd34e53137a.jpeg?v=1571673005

The Finance Minister Uttama Savanayana

The Finance Minister Uttama Savanayana denied he has discussed the possibility of reducing tariff on branded goods to 5 per cent from the current 30 per cent with the Tourism Authority of Thailand.

He said he needs to study the issue in detail first before he can tell if the tariff should be reduced. 

Meanwhile, the Fiscal Policy Office's director-general Lavaron Sangsnit said the minister has yet to tell the office to study the case. 

Recently, Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn said he wants cuts in tariffs of well-known brands to attract more tourists.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30377624

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-22

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The Finance Minister Uttama Savanayana denied he has discussed the possibility of reducing tariff on branded goods to 5 per cent from the current 30 per cent with the Tourism Authority of Thailand.

He's right, last week they said the discount for tourists would be 30-70%.

8 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Yes, but only on things made in Thailand that you urgently need to take home with you - like a carved elephant, a traditional Thai dress, a wicker basket or a plastic buddha !

You forgot:- your young Thai wife.

Almost impossible to buy in the west.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Just based on previous experience with this government:

Next week: The Finance Minister Uttama Savanayana announces reduction of tariff on branded goods to 5 per cent from the current 30 per cent.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

I can't see that effecting hiso Thai's, they'll just take a free Thai airways flight to where ever the goods are made and buy them there!

5 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I can't see that effecting hiso Thai's, they'll just take a free Thai airways flight to where ever the goods are made and buy them there!

That won't help, my wife told me that the LV purses cost the same all over the world, just like IKEA....they adjust their retailprices to be the same. I haven't checked it myself.

Fakes look like fakes.. The real brands are far too expensive here. I buy everything in the states once a year.. New bal.. Addidas Clark's whatever.. 2-3 x the price. U can almost fly to Phil's and buy it there and still save money including the flight.

Thb to USD sooooo shxxty now but so long as rents stay low I'll stay. 

Archived