Proposal for all cars and motorcycles to have GPS by law - "Big Brother" storm brewing

webfact

On 10/22/2019 at 11:16 AM, Just Weird said:

"...how they going to enforce a 3,000 baht GPS system".

They're not, obviously, it's just an "investigation into a possibility, subject to it's not impinging on our rights".

How many owners can afford to pay 3000 baht for the system and then the monitoring fee

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Fred white said:
On 10/22/2019 at 11:16 AM, Just Weird said:

"...how they going to enforce a 3,000 baht GPS system".

They're not, obviously, it's just an "investigation into a possibility, subject to it's not impinging on our rights".

How many owners can afford to pay 3000 baht for the system and then the monitoring fee

I don't know but then I'm not trying to justify it, I'm saying that at this stage there is no such requirement, that's all!

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:51 PM, VocalNeal said:

So do I, but how do you think Google knows where the traffic is?

I'm told by a so called IT geek that other drivers information is fed back to a big mother AI brain and thus, my timing and route suggestions altered accordingly.

Too much for my little brain to comprehend. I just drive and take some of their suggestions.

9 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

Because 90kph speed limit on most 4 to 6 lane highways here is a joke!

Hey I often drive faster than the speed limit but I agree with there attempts to curb my errant ways.If they increased the speed limit 10-20% would you be ok with a 10-20% increase in fatalities? 

I often wonder how on google road map do they know traffic is at a standstill or busy marked on the road map as red or yellow, am i to believe that google takes the imformation from our phones movements and this gives the delay times etc,   <deleted>

On 10/23/2019 at 6:36 PM, FarFlungFalang said:

I'm sure there are ways to block the signals but I'm also sure that any interference with the signal could be detected which could then be addressed with a fine!I've also read that man has not made a lock that can't be picked so I'm sure some people would end up bypassing any system.  

No, actually they can't fine you because they can't prove you did anything wrong. A simple GPS jammer of only a few hundred milliwatts would shut down all GPS receivers on all cars up to around 20 meters away. A couple of watts would extend the jamming signal further. I saw some tests showing a hundred watt jammer on the open highway disrupted GPS signals for more than a km.

There is absolutely no way to prove whose car the jammer is in, so nobody can be fined. (Data analysis might allow you to assign a probability distribution to different vehicles, but high probability is not legal proof.) Worse, these jammers are very easy to build with off the shelf electronic components, so they can't even control distribution. If just 1% of the Thai population decided to go rogue and put a jammer in their car to frustrate the system, they could basically make the entire thing useless and it would be impossible to know who was responsible. 

It is possible for the government to overcome this shortcoming in the model with tamper proof black boxes that include transducers on the cars in addition to GPS, but with just GPS? Impossible to make it robust against attack. Stupid, stupid idea. It will never work as long as even a small fraction of the population are against it.

4 hours ago, Monomial said:

It is possible for the government to overcome this shortcoming in the model with tamper proof black boxes that include transducers on the cars in addition to GPS, but with just GPS? Impossible to make it robust against attack. Stupid, stupid idea. It will never work as long as even a small fraction of the population are against it.

Yes I agree with most of your points (and maybe all of them) and it might be a stupid idea and may never work but I do agree with exploring the possibility in an effort to reduce the horrendous road fatality rate.If such a system was possible and some people were to sabotage a system that did reduce fatalities would raise doubts about those people's mental fitness to participate in the human race.

7 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Yes I agree with most of your points (and maybe all of them) and it might be a stupid idea and may never work but I do agree with exploring the possibility in an effort to reduce the horrendous road fatality rate.If such a system was possible and some people were to sabotage a system that did reduce fatalities would raise doubts about those people's mental fitness to participate in the human race.

Not everyone shares your value system. It is quite arrogant to say someone isn't mentally capable of participating in the human race because they think differently than you. It only takes a small number of people that prioritize personal freedom over government control for the sake of safety to make this system untennable.

Again, there are ways to make a system like this safe from the technical issues explained above, namely using tamperproof transducers in addition to a GPS signal. The issue I point out is that GPS alone will never be a practical idea, and that is independent of pretentious personal value systems by those who arrogantly assume the world should conform to their personal ideals.  Satellite signals are simply too vulnerable to terrestrial attacks. SNRs of under 47dB can make a satellite completely unusable to a GPS receiver.

No matter what you may personally feel, this system, as it is currently planned, is a useless waste of money and will not result in your desired outcome.

On 10/22/2019 at 9:42 AM, webfact said:

Saksayam told Springnews that the cost of GPS is cheaper these days coming in at around 3,000 baht with a 300 baht operating cost.

What about banning private driving schools from giving people the driver test?? Most all Thais I know, opted to pay 4,000THB to a driving school so that they can pass the written Thai drivers test easily (the instructors give you the answers) instead of paying 250THB (approx) to actually study traffic laws and driving etiquette and taking the written Thai drivers test at the department of transportation. 

22 hours ago, LetsCleanUpTHAILAND said:

What about banning private driving schools from giving people the driver test?? Most all Thais I know, opted to pay 4,000THB to a driving school so that they can pass the written Thai drivers test easily (the instructors give you the answers) instead of paying 250THB (approx) to actually study traffic laws and driving etiquette and taking the written Thai drivers test at the department of transportation. 

This is absolutely not true of all driving schools, my wife took her test and passed the computer test first time i asked her if they help " No can NOT !"  They will allow you to sit all day at the computer and keep trying till you pass, you can take your time to answer 1 hr she told me. Also dual controlled car and tested on the ROAD. their test track had a roundabout and a hill start, even showed her how to check water, oil, and the date on the tyres. Chanthaburi 5,500 Baht 20hrs over 4 days.  1,000 baht for M/C 2 days.    My friends wife failed the govt test twice 3rd time gave the examiner 1,000 baht and passed, she had been already driving illegally for 2 years !. Oh and she is still a bad driver I M O.

Archived