Proposal for all cars and motorcycles to have GPS by law - "Big Brother" storm brewing

webfact

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Anyone using a smart phone already have this...

The clever thing would be to have an App on smart phones for the driving license. To install it one has to "Agree" and by doing so give permission to access location speed etc. 

Much cheaper and more devious than having a special widget in the car that export versions don't have. 

But yes sounds like jobs for the boys.

6 minutes ago, neeray said:

I use my GPS every time I drive almost. But the purpose of mine is to help me navigate, NOT to have some government department track my whereabouts.

So do I, but how do you think Google knows where the traffic is?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He said that if all vehicles had the technology then the DLT would be able to monitor speeds. 

This is the real story no one is talking about. They want a system to automatically send you a speeding ticket every time you go over it. And they will justify it as road safety.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He was quoted as saying that while the proposal may have some negative impacts for the people, they would accept it if it was for the common good. 

Accept? He means forced under no choice. Other portion of Comment deleted.

But it would be better and maybe less painful to give all the people lobotomies so no one would fall out of line but have him be the first to insert a 30kg GPS tracker in a place that would be very uncomfortable for him. The audacity of these completely out of touch inept people.

1 hour ago, DLock said:

These idiots can't get 50% of people to wear helmets or fix brake lights...how they going to enforce a 3,000 baht GPS system.

Fail.

"...how they going to enforce a 3,000 baht GPS system".

They're not, obviously, it's just an "investigation into a possibility, subject to it's not impinging on our rights".

The reason people generally obey traffic laws in the West is because of the fear of prosecution, not the certainty. That is because police officers patrol in marked and unmarked cars, and there are red light and speed cameras everywhere.

Prosecution brings with it substantial penalties of fines, points on Licences leading to disqualification, and large increases in insurance premiums. Driving whilst disqualified or uninsured leads to possible prison time and your car gets crushed or impounded at your cost until you provide insurance. 

Here, because it is so difficult to get police to deal effectively with offenders unless they can keep the fines, and the penalties are insubstantial, there is no fear. That leads to half baked ideas like this instead of dealing with the root causes, lack of education, penalties and enforcement.

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

However, all politicians, armed forces generals and above, and Police Officers will be exempt.............on the grounds of National Security.

Ironically enough, that would actually be the case if the proposal ever became law, just as happens here already with vehicle registrations of people holding those senior positions and it happens in the west also in most countries.

Calm down. Given the abysmal maintenance of speed cameras here, I can't see their issued GPS's staying functional for very long.

So what are the authorities going to do when the GPS battery runs flat?????

Bloody hell.

This is a totally stupid idea. 

People wont fit them for 3,000 baht if they don't already register and insure their bike. 

Where will they get the thousands of staff to monitor and administer the GPS. 

The police dont monitor the roads now, and that would drastically reduce the road toll. 

I was told by police spokesperson that their priority is to make motorists happy, not enforce the law. 

Just look at the posts on Line, by the traffic police. Fixing flat tyres, lights on motorbikes, replacing windscreen wipers for free. They are not jobs police should be involved with. 

They see motorists and motorcyclists break the law, but their attitude is " mai pben rai" never mind. 

I have stopped a number of police motorcyclists and reminded them, they should be wearing a helmet. 

Mai pben rai, or sorry is their reply. 

They just dont take road safety serious. 

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Calm down. Given the abysmal maintenance of speed cameras here, I can't see their issued GPS's staying functional for very long.

So what are the authorities going to do when the GPS battery runs flat?????

Calm down, indeed. The GPS units would be powered by either wind or solar to satisfy the environmentalists. :stoner:

I won't prevent accidents probably create more, while everyone including the vehicle driver is looking at the GPS screen, I shudder when I see stuff of this nature it gives the idiots running the asylum in Oz idea's, even China would be impressed.

complete and utter nonsense

the stupidity is mind boggling 

how about employing and training an actual functional police force and redefine the current so called police to exactly what they are - known in the UK as traffic wardens

What a pile of BS! Police are unable or more truthfully unwilling to get underage kids off bikes, let alone wear a helmet or follow road rules! GPS for all vehicles is the greatest piece of hairbrain ideas I’ve ever heard of! Time to get some real experience running transport, TAT, Thai Airlines and many other portfolios!

And finally give police the power authority and direction to POLICE!

Archived