Proposal for all cars and motorcycles to have GPS by law - "Big Brother" storm brewing

webfact

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

How about cut it short and install a microchip in everyone in Thailand and save a lot of silly laws, ideas and draconian measures...

And thereby doubling (or more?) Brain capacity.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"And the added benefit would be that the location of the driver would be known at all times meaning that crime could be lessened too."

NO IT WOULD NOT!!!!  Do these people even know how a GPS even works???

It would give you the location of the Vehicle it was attached to... NOT THE REGISTERED OWNER or THE DRIVER...

This is absolutely great idiocy!
1. Who has to pay? don't forget that most of the vehicles in Thailand belong to the banks, the installments are very small because people have no money!
2. Who wants to check? The police are certainly not, they are too "busy"!
3. In any case, this would be the total control of the population that is certainly not in agreement!
Last but not least, make your cops do their duty, the results would certainly be better!
This in any case is exactly the kind of behavior that can be expected of a military government!
CONGRATULATIONS!

Being incensed that the police will track you in a car is nothing compared with possible futures. 

One future is no one can use personal internal combustion devices at all to get from point A to point B.

Your use of electricity could be monitored and limited.

You consumption of food could be monitored and limited.

Your rights to have children could be limited.

And of course, the dreaded Soylent green scenario.  555

The Big Brother "insurance companies" are already totalitarian.  Most health insurance companies will not allow you coverage after a certain age, no pre-existing before that. 

That said, Don't let it bring you down, Greta Thunberg will get it all sorted

6 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

they cant, the new constitution was written so they rule irrespective of the outcome of an election.

IMO when they get a truly civilian government then that government can tear up the constitution and revert back to the 1997 constitution and amend that. If anybody disagrees that is exactly what the Army did when they took over. Their amnesty for life can also be scrapped,

3 hours ago, British Bulldog said:

Hang on ...hang on ... sure 'some' GPS units are becoming quite cheap and are 'personal' GPS units whether they be in a car, on a bike or in your pocket, but the GPS units that relay signals back to a Base Station are a different story ... we are looking at thousands of dollars and even more for the base station to monitor them, probably into the $100,000's ... Mining Companies often have them to keep track of their drivers etc. including where and when they may stop (when they shouldn't) ...

When I was running some teams in NZ 10 years ago their vehicles were tagged and I could monitor them just using a program on my laptop. For thousands of vehicle you would need a larger dedicated computer but the principle is much the same.

1 hour ago, Derek B said:

The GPS would only monitor the vehicle not the driver.

Or the result of the driver's actions, like the speed of the vehicle and any detours. I read about a van that had an accident and the driver had disabled the GPS system so he could drive fast w/o being reported. A Thai vehicle GPS Tracking Company.

41 minutes ago, Andy13 said:

"And the added benefit would be that the location of the driver would be known at all times meaning that crime could be lessened too."

NO IT WOULD NOT!!!!  Do these people even know how a GPS even works???

It would give you the location of the Vehicle it was attached to... NOT THE REGISTERED OWNER or THE DRIVER...

It is quite possible and easy to fix that problem. You are not thinking far enough ahead.

There is no reason at the time of installation why the GPS ID number cannot be linked to the owner on the database. it is just a line of text. If you want to include the driver(s) you need to get the owner to submit the usual drivers names as well. You can also link the names with addresses, ID card numbers and phone numbers.

18 minutes ago, Odisan said:

Oh dear. They've locked all the crazies in a room again... will someone unlock the door and please let them out. Thank you.

No No No. Keep the door locked all the time with them inside. It will be safer for all of us.

41 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

The Big Brother "insurance companies" are already totalitarian.  Most health insurance companies will not allow you coverage after a certain age,

And it will be linked to your Visa. When you reach an age where you cannot get health insurance... you leave. Thailand will just dump all of us when we get too old. Definition of Farang.... one with built in obsolescence and expiry date.

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

How about cut it short and install a microchip in everyone in Thailand and save a lot of silly laws, ideas and draconian measures...

It's strange that the liberal Thais are coming up with these ideas after the Chinese. Maybe all these control freak ideas just pave the way to the implanted chips; Was not there already a Saudi expert who wanted to patent the death-bringing chips, according to the motto, death on call? Whether the NWO or the New Asia Alliance all want to control us. Hands up, who wants to live in this shiny new world of total control?

10 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

I'm guessing someone's brother, or maid, owns a GPS manufacturing plant. 

He is a buffoon.  Everybody in this government has been weakened by military intelligence.  Spoofing a gps is not hard.  Also, monitoring every car on the road will require a huge data center.  Somebody is looking for a pay day, not for a solution.   As if Thailand has the luxury to entertain such silliness. 

Personally I am all for it and hope all travel is available on line, for everyone...Me...Home - Tesco...Home - Global...Home - local Bar.  What I really want to see is Cane Toad's (Prawit) travel details or to see the movement of our latest PhD government official...and for a laugh out local constabulary. Bet it would make better reading than mine

All privately owned vehicles and motorcycles???  I for one (of many I am sure) can see no way this would deter crime of prevent accidents.  First of all the owner would have to understand how to use a GPS.  I'm pretty technology savvy but I have troubles with mine and I have the most user friendly models.  Not sure a GPS is actually the device needed and it is certainly not needed for all privately owned vehicles of any type.  Two things needed are first and foremost a mobilized and properly equipped police force on the roads willing and able to stop offending drivers on the spot when they are not driving and following existing laws.  Second for commercial vehicles hauling freight or passengers some type of monitoring device could be useful to identify speeding drivers and those who drive in a reckless manner.  Further, there are devices that could visually monitor drivers and alert them when they are nodding off or actually sleeping.  These suggestions could help reduce road carnage but even these would be unlikely to deter an actual crime. 

9 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

So do I, but how do you think Google knows where the traffic is?

If you mean that Google knows where I am, that's fine, I authorized them. But authorizing the government to know where I am is a different matter.

I was quite impressed yesterday when it told me to "keep to the 2 left" lanes. There was "day" work going on by a crew, blocking one lane.

This is ultimately a futile rule, as for $30 in electronics it is quite easy to jam a GPS signal for dozens of meters around the source. Spoofing is harder and more expensive, but that is also possible. All it takes is 5% of the population to install GPS jammers on moving vehicles, and nobody's GPS signals will work anywhere on the road. And it will be very difficult to figure out who is jamming.

Black box data recorders instead of a simple GPS may help, but the complexity (and cost) goes up. It has to be a network of transducers physically installed on the vehicle that is checked every year when you register your car. Simple solutions to this problem, like taxi meters, can be disabled, but more complex devices with multiple inputs and encryption technology could be made secure.

I sincerely hope the misguided souls that came up with this ridiculous idea have the intelligence to consult with someone that has just a tiny bit of knowledge on the subject.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that if all vehicles had the technology then the DLT would be able to monitor speeds. 

Sure. Motorists will take turns to drive over the speed limit, one by one, so you guys can monitor ALL of them!

Thailand would be the first country in the world to have such legislation. 

And the ONLY one, since no self-respecting country would think of something so dumb. 

He has said that the plan would lessen road accidents and crime. 

Sure. the driver is going to leave the GPS on while he waits for his mates to rob a bank, and will even key in the destination after they are done with the robbery. As for reducing accidents - how? If you spot a motorist speeding, what are you going to do? Send him/her a Line message telling him/her to slow down? GPS isn't going to reduce road accidents. Or crime. Try education, and enforcement.

Archived