Proposal for all cars and motorcycles to have GPS by law - "Big Brother" storm brewing

webfact

So who ever owns the shares or gps company shall make a fortune 

As for criminals  meeting up i understand  is some is on bail

But treating  everyone as criminals just in case they are thats wrong 

If someone  is acting susupsiocly then the police are normally  called  anyway

So they don't  have resources  for pulling people over  for speeding but have resources  to remotely monitor  cars abd bikes?????<deleted>

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, you got to give those Chinese something to do in Thailand.

Just think about all the new Chinese manufacturing jobs to be created....for Chinese.

Also another step closer to China's social spy system.

I have to wonder if this guy wears Red Underwear with a Star on it.

Also Chinese/Thai Family history perhaps.

Cannt imagine this bill getting through

It effects Thais officals everyone 

Nooje wants that kind of strict level monitoring 

Can't even imagine judges wanting thier cars tracked 

Unless you car is a government  car or company vehicle then the excuse to track  speeding  can be done from the ground

I mean who is going tk monitor all these speedint vehicles  or is rhe system going to auto send us letters in the post eventually noone will have license people be losing their jobs

Everyone  speeds

I mean everyone

Including the people  behind  this

Plus not everykne crashes  due to speeds

Seen people  crash at nornal speed in a straight  line just simply  fall off

Also people hittint pot holes 

I hit a pot hole the other day on a government  road caused both  my car tyres to explode

Can I have  5000 baht in damages ?

The who wasbt lit up  and was there due to road works

Allot if crashes due to badly lite areas

Allowing u-turna on highways is super dangerous 

Other obstacles 

People hitting concrete electric posts

Some posts are in the main road.

Maybe peoppe should  go around taking photos  if these hot spots

Also drunk  driving  which a gps cannot pick up that would  need to be done on the road

Maybe inssurance  companies  can offer cheapet rate if optional  GPS but up to the individual 

Some people maye wish to have  it but large amount  of people will not

1 hour ago, lagavulin1 said:

Which DOES record your movements. 

A GPS satnav tells you where you and how to get to where you want to go. Doesn't record how you get there AFAIK. ????????

Can't you switch that function off on your phone??

Your service provider can show where you've been by tracking your calls I know.

53 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Can't you switch that function off on your phone??

Your service provider can show where you've been by tracking your calls I know.

GPS can be switched off but the phone software can still track you. Apparently it can track you when switched off. I don't know if this is true or anecdotal. 

18 minutes ago, lagavulin1 said:

GPS can be switched off but the phone software can still track you. Apparently it can track you when switched off. I don't know if this is true or anecdotal. 

I don't even know if taking the battery out changes anything.

Just did a google on the NSA system. They can track a switched off phone if they download a trojan to the phone that still sends a 'here I am signal'. Taking the battery out stops this. The other way is to somehow physically insert a 'chip' in the phone that will 'signal' where the phone is. I take it might have it's own mini power source charged from the battery.

So, unless you are a 'person of interest' that requires tracking ie not you, me or joe soap, taking the battery out limits tracking to the last known location by tower triangulation. As soon as you put the battery back you're on the map again.

The silly part is this... a GPS unit doesn't report your location to anything - it is a receiver only - then it has to be coupled to a device that has a data connection to the internet - as in your mobile phone, in which you then have to enable a reporting app to share your location data - now that is the phone version, and obviously this would have to be quite different.

What they are talking about is a GPS receiver WITH an internet connection and software that reports location every say second or 5 seconds or something. Hence the minister mentioning the 300 baht "operating costs"... probably per month - which covers the cost of the internet data connection.

This is going to be very problematic because all of a sudden you are going to have something like 37+ MILLION extra devices (one per vehicle) connecting via wireless data to the internet - and the authorities will have to set up an entire facility that monitors all vehicles.

The bigger issue though is that for a huge percentage of those drivers, 3000 baht initial cost, plus an ongoing 300 baht a month is too expensive. Bear in mind that the vast majority of road accidents involve motorcycles... and many of those are low cost bikes and it is unlikely that the owners could afford to buy the GPS device at all.

8 hours ago, grobec said:

even Europcar have been shadowing Rental activity for at least 5 years 

One factor for it, was they first wanted to know I hadn't driven over into Russia, and the other States East of Germany and Austria. Good to know though, as it turned out the rental would not have been insured if we'd gone over...

13 minutes ago, Greer said:

Hence the minister mentioning the 300 baht "operating costs"... probably per month

Nah, you can get 30GB at 4mbps for 100 Baht a month from AiS. For the tiny amount of data each unit would send I reckon 300 Baht per annum would cover it easily. If the government had a blanket deal with one or more of the providers then it may even be a one-off payment.

Will not be long before they are able to eliminate speeding by having the speed of the vehicle controlled by the GPS data that will be sealed in a tamper proof box.When coupled with radio GPS can be accurate to within a couple of centimetres.We build rail and roads and even do land boundary work with GPS so people better get ready because this is well on the way to becoming reality.How do people think google are able to provide google maps?I can tell you it's not with a tape measure and a theodolite,they even operate planes with this technology.Not to mention all those military drones!

17 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

And just to think that they are paid to come up with such idiotic ideas....or maybe not, if some GPS company has bribed contributed to the debate.

As usual they a merely copying ideas and it's not so idiotic as it sounds as enforcement would not be reliant upon inefficient policing by inefficient enforcement officers and could eliminate the bribery element of which many here have expressed their dislike for.It would have a major impact on peoples tendency to speed especially all those mini vans which go screaming past me even when I'm speeding.Imagine the benefits of reducing the fatality rate from accidents.Also imagine getting a ticket each time you exceed the speed limit.I'm wondering why people think that reducing speeding is such an idiotic idea,perhaps you may be able to inform me as you are one of those people. 

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Nah, you can get 30GB at 4mbps for 100 Baht a month from AiS. For the tiny amount of data each unit would send I reckon 300 Baht per annum would cover it easily. If the government had a blanket deal with one or more of the providers then it may even be a one-off payment.

Is AIS still owned by the Shins?

29 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

As usual they a merely copying ideas and it's not so idiotic as it sounds as enforcement would not be reliant upon inefficient policing by inefficient enforcement officers and could eliminate the bribery element of which many here have expressed their dislike for.It would have a major impact on peoples tendency to speed especially all those mini vans which go screaming past me even when I'm speeding.Imagine the benefits of reducing the fatality rate from accidents.Also imagine getting a ticket each time you exceed the speed limit.I'm wondering why people think that reducing speeding is such an idiotic idea,perhaps you may be able to inform me as you are one of those people. 

Real question.

Would some sort of mini faraday cage covering the unit make any difference or is the signal frequency, wave length,  so different it wouldn't block anything??

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Real question.

Would some sort of mini faraday cage covering the unit make any difference or is the signal frequency, wave length,  so different it wouldn't block anything??

I'm sure there are ways to block the signals but I'm also sure that any interference with the signal could be detected which could then be addressed with a fine!I've also read that man has not made a lock that can't be picked so I'm sure some people would end up bypassing any system.  

27 minutes ago, CLS said:

They never had to qualify.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yep.......family connections, friend connections, military connections, wealthy connections, status connections and of course buying the position.

So ability to rationalise, reason, or to plan, think and understand are not prerequisites.......typical of so many in positions of power here!

On 10/22/2019 at 9:42 AM, webfact said:

He said that discussions would take place over the next year but that if implemented Thailand would be the first country in the world to have such legislation. 

Yes, that's not surprising!

Archived