Canada's Trudeau clings to power, but loses some of his lustre

webfact

Canada's Trudeau clings to power, but loses some of his lustre

By Allison Martell

2019-10-22T032421Z_1_LYNXMPEF9L07O_RTROPTP_4_CANADA-ELECTION-TRUDEAU.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Liberal leader and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, accompanied by his son Xavier and his daughter Ella-Grace, votes in the federal election in Montreal, Quebec, Canada October 21, 2019. REUTERS/Stephane Mahe/File Photo

TORONTO (Reuters) - Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau held on to his job in Monday's election, securing his spot as one of the world's few high-profile progressive leaders, but tarnished by scandal and with his power diminished.

The man former U.S. President Barack Obama privately anointed as a successor in global diplomacy survived a blackface scandal and the disclosure that he sought to interfere with a federal corruption prosecution, but just barely.

Trudeau's Liberals, who won power four years ago with a strong parliamentary majority, were projected by the Canadian Broadcasting Corp to form a minority government after a tight election battle with the Conservative Party led by Andrew Scheer. That would leave Trudeau needing the support of smaller opposition parties to govern.

"The hype was so great when he ran before, it would be hard to match that," said Jonathan Rose, a political science professor at Queen's University. "The burden of governing both wore him down and wore voters down."

Alternately charming and awkward, the former teacher and snowboard instructor swept to power in 2015 at the age of 43. Born on Christmas Day in 1971 to a sitting Canadian prime minister, Pierre Trudeau, the younger Trudeau grew up in the spotlight.

On taking over as prime minister, Trudeau said he would tackle climate change, overhaul the electoral system, legalize marijuana and have Canada take in 25,000 Syrian refugees. He proclaimed himself a feminist, and unveiled a gender-balanced Cabinet. Mobbed for selfies, Trudeau brought style to an office that is usually dour, and broadcast much of it on social media.

But before long, key allies turned hard to the right - the UK voted to leave the European Union, and the United States elected Republican Donald Trump as president.

In time, Trudeau concentrated power in the prime minister's office and abandoned electoral reform. His government bought the troubled Trans Mountain oil pipeline, infuriating environmentalists, even as it moved to put a price on carbon, alienating the energy industry.

The run-up to the campaign was marked by high-profile Cabinet defections, and a watchdog report that found Trudeau and his team tried to undermine a federal prosecutor's decision to put construction firm SNC-Lavalin Group Inc <SNC.TO> on trial for corruption.

Then, as the campaign began, a 2001 photograph emerged that showed Trudeau, then 29, at a party, his face covered in dark makeup.

More photographs of him in blackface quickly followed, as Trudeau apologised. The images, which briefly dented the Liberals' popularity, ran counter to a carefully managed public persona.

Trudeau also promised "reconciliation" with Canada's indigenous peoples, who make up about 5% of the country.

Ahead of Monday's election, the indigenous political group Assembly of First Nations (AFN) said there had been "concrete action and investments" but "we have considerable ground to make up to ensure First Nations and Canadians share an equal quality of life."

'VOICE TO BE NEEDED MORE'

On the eve of the election, the race looked close. Trudeau had a shot at a dispiriting honour: the first prime minister since 1935 to lose power in the next election after winning a first-term majority.

"It was inevitable that some of that shine was going to come off, and I think we've seen that," said Andrew MacDougall, who was spokesman for former Prime Minister Stephen Harper, whose Conservative government was ousted by Trudeau's Liberals in 2015. "But he's not that far away from where he was when he was elected."

The friendship Trudeau forged with Obama in another era seems to endure. The two were spotted dining together in Ottawa earlier this year, and the former president tweeted his endorsement last Wednesday of Trudeau's re-election.

In a recent book, former Obama adviser Ben Rhodes described a 2016 meeting between the two leaders.

"Justin, your voice is going to be needed more," Obama said, according to Rhodes. "You're going to have to speak out when certain values are threatened."

(Reporting by Allison Martell; Editing by Paul Simao and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-22

A minority government means he can only do what the other parties will allow, One vote of no confidence and he is gone. Also I believe the term limit is 2 years for a minority gov. But often it doesn't even last that long usually, if the other parties think they can gain some ground in a new election. Basically he lost some of his power and will soon lose it all, unless he can avoid more scandals. Not likely. The conservatives need to improve their image quick and probably get some one else to lead.

5 hours ago, samran said:

Seems like our local Canadian election pundits were wrong on this.

Yes, not that they would admit it. In fact, what I wrote earlier about Dougie Ford reminding everyone about what conservative government was like turned out to be prophetic. Thank goodness! They tried hiding him and did quite a good job, but still wasn't enough. Tons of Right-Wing propaganda flooding the FB, but fortunately Canadians are less brainwashed and have a basic sense of decency towards others. At least, those of us who are liberal do. 

Hint for Conservatives: get someone who has some charisma and doesn't blatantly peddle easily debunked lies on the hustings next time. 

I'm all for minority government, requires those in charge to compromise and consider others rather than only their own party. Especially when the minority partner is to the Left of the one in charge. 

2 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

Corruption in Quebec, usual for Canada, more Prime Ministers come from there than any other province, wonder why? French only in restaurants and language police. 

Are you seriously claiming that you can't speak English in restaurants or that servers wouldn't attempt to do so? What a terrible place your imaginary Canada is, no wonder you don't like it.

11 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Are you seriously claiming that you can't speak English in restaurants or that servers wouldn't attempt to do so? What a terrible place your imaginary Canada is, no wonder you don't like it.

Yeah I've been to Quebec several times mainly for the restaurants and nightlife and never had any issue communicating with anyone. Of course it won't kill people to say Bonjour!

33 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Yes, not that they would admit it. In fact, what I wrote earlier about Dougie Ford reminding everyone about what conservative government was like turned out to be prophetic. Thank goodness! They tried hiding him and did quite a good job, but still wasn't enough. Tons of Right-Wing propaganda flooding the FB, but fortunately Canadians are less brainwashed and have a basic sense of decency towards others. At least, those of us who are liberal do. 

Hint for Conservatives: get someone who has some charisma and doesn't blatantly peddle easily debunked lies on the hustings next time. 

I'm all for minority government, requires those in charge to compromise and consider others rather than only their own party. Especially when the minority partner is to the Left of the one in charge. 

Yup Liberals are just full of the milk of human kindness. BARF.

10 hours ago, samran said:

Seems like our local Canadian election pundits were wrong on this.

That should read some were wrong. I was not in doubt. The Conservatives are a 2 province pony show and were never really in it. 

As a social democrate my party is the New Democrate Party (NDP). We lost nearly half our seats but gained an enormous clout in setting government policy. Trudeau either plays by our rules or has to cozy up to the single province separatist BLOC. The Liberals  and separatists are long-term sworn enemies so not much likelihood of that. 

As our price to keep Justin in power we will want a major new social program. By bringing in national pharmacare he can gain a full term in office as long as he governs well to the left. Most of Canada's best and most loved social programs were brought in under  similar circumstances. 

Trump  should beef up the border patrol at the northern border in Montana. There are about to be a mass of conservatives asylum seekers trying to head south. 

How is this even possible....   Trudeau wins 157 seats with 33% of the Votes while the Democrats win fewer seats (121 seats) with a greater % of the vote.

Is a vote in different areas of Canada worth something different? i.e. Is the vote of one person in Quebec worth more than the Vote of someone in Calgary ?

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 20.34.36.png

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

How is this even possible....   Trudeau wins 157 seats with 33% of the Votes while the Democrats win fewer seats (121 seats) with a greater % of the vote.

Is a vote in different areas of Canada worth something different? i.e. Is the vote of one person in Quebec worth more than the Vote of someone in Calgary ?

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 20.34.36.png

Is this a genuine question or a rhetorical one?

9 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Is this a genuine question or a rhetorical one?

Genuine... (I'm British) and know nothing of Canadian Politics but find it strange that Trudeau remains in power with 1/3rd of the Vote. 

Also, wasn't he just found guilty by an ethics committee of trying to 'exert his influence' and in doing so, did he break federal laws?.

Didn't he just bail out the Canadian Media with M$600?

Knowing so little about Trudeau and Canadian politics, as an outsider I see that most of the news is 'glowing' and plays into the hands of the Liberal admirers / followers, however some of the negative news that does filter through seems rather damning (if true).

Its difficult to know which to believe of course (as with any media) - but that he can win maintain power with just 1/3rd of the vote seems rather surprising. 

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Genuine... (I'm British) and know nothing of Canadian Politics but find it strange that Trudeau remains in power with 1/3rd of the Vote. 

Also, wasn't he just found guilty by an ethics committee of trying to 'exert his influence' and in doing so, did he break federal laws?.

Knowing so little about Trudeau and Canadian politics, as an outsider I see that most of the news is 'glowing' and plays into the hands of the Liberal admirers / followers, however some of the negative news that does filter through seems rather damning (if true).

Its difficult to know which to believe of course (as with any media) - but that he can win maintain power with just 1/3rd of the vote seems rather surprising. 

It matters not what some say he did to sway people not voting for him. He was on the ticket and people voted.

As for getting in. I too am not sure how it works. In oz u can get in with less votes because of preferences from other parties. Happens all the time. Its coalition. I imagine its the same in canada.

But if im wrong on that i accept it.

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

See - Harold Wilson 1974 but with more parties and vote splits. 

Propping up corporate newspapers was intended to save union jobs. My old union lobbied heavily for it. Nearly all of that ungrateful lot then turned around and endorsed the Conservatives. I think they should let the beggars go broke.

The so called scandal was much about nothing. There is a UN Convention against corruption. Canada belonged to it for years and had a law where  Canadian companies could be charged and fined if caught giving bribes to other governments in order to do business.  Graft is the norm in many countries including LOS.  Then a conservative government amended the law to give the option to the  Attorney General  to use the old method or have the company and or its officers charged criminally.  If convicted the company can also be prohibited from bidding on jobs in Canada.  Trudeau advised his Attorney General that  the law was stupid and that other first world  countries did not do the same to their companies. He told her she should go by the old route otherwise the company may go under and lose Canada thousands of jobs.  She ignored him and he fired her.  Which to me was a proper course of action  in the circumstances and seeing he's been made Prime Minister again many Canadian thought that way too. Anyone think BA  or Exxon don't  give bribes to countries  officials to do business?  If they were caught should the company be folded? 

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In the 2015 elections the Tories in the UK won a comfortable majority of seats in Pariliament but got only 36.9% of the total votes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_United_Kingdom_general_election

Do you think that was unfair, too?

If fairness was truly an issue, then the best way to guarantee majority rule would be ranked voting. Voters put down their first and second choices and if no candidate emerges with a majority after the first tally, then the 2nd choices are assigned to those front runners who together garnered over 50% of the vote. Of course, I doubt the Conservatives in Canada would approve since the majority of the electorate is clearly progressive in political orientation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_United_Kingdom_general_election

15 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

Another term with the drama teacher....

What does it tell you though about the quality of the Conservative candidates? With all the scandals, all the outside dirty Right-wing money from the USA, and the rightward shift politically worldwide they STILL couldn't win an election. Oh, and the #2 guy in the race formed his own even MORE right-wing party and couldn't get elected in his own riding.

Thank goodness for the basic decency of most Canadians, it's good to know some remains in this increasingly hostile world.

10 hours ago, pegman said:

That should read some were wrong. I was not in doubt. The Conservatives are a 2 province pony show and were never really in it. 

As a social democrate my party is the New Democrate Party (NDP). We lost nearly half our seats but gained an enormous clout in setting government policy. Trudeau either plays by our rules or has to cozy up to the single province separatist BLOC. The Liberals  and separatists are long-term sworn enemies so not much likelihood of that. 

As our price to keep Justin in power we will want a major new social program. By bringing in national pharmacare he can gain a full term in office as long as he governs well to the left. Most of Canada's best and most loved social programs were brought in under  similar circumstances. 

Trump  should beef up the border patrol at the northern border in Montana. There are about to be a mass of conservatives asylum seekers trying to head south. 

I'm hoping instead that they tackle a bigger issue - the bloody "first past the post" electoral system we inherited from the UK. That, by the way, is the answer to the questions below about how the party with less votes won. Trudeau promised electoral reform and then backed off, and now I guess we can see why. I suppose the Conservatives will now be in favour of it having been screwed by it (rather than benefiting from it as they have in the past). Hope so. Bottom line is that fundamentally undemocratic and easily manipulated voting systems that disenfranchise many people should be replaced.

Sure, I'd be okay with a pharma plan too, and have no problem with the NDP working with the Liberals. But let's get the most important thing done and ditch First Past the Post.

I suspect Trump would instead set up a welcome committee. These people tend to be Old White Men. It would be highly amusing though to watch them discover the joys of unfettered capitalism and realize that "you don't know what you got til it's gone." 

43 minutes ago, JCauto said:

I'm hoping instead that they tackle a bigger issue - the bloody "first past the post" electoral system we inherited from the UK. That, by the way, is the answer to the questions below about how the party with less votes won. Trudeau promised electoral reform and then backed off, and now I guess we can see why. I suppose the Conservatives will now be in favour of it having been screwed by it (rather than benefiting from it as they have in the past). Hope so. Bottom line is that fundamentally undemocratic and easily manipulated voting systems that disenfranchise many people should be replaced.

Sure, I'd be okay with a pharma plan too, and have no problem with the NDP working with the Liberals. But let's get the most important thing done and ditch First Past the Post.

I suspect Trump would instead set up a welcome committee. These people tend to be Old White Men. It would be highly amusing though to watch them discover the joys of unfettered capitalism and realize that "you don't know what you got til it's gone." 

The writer of the link argues the Liberals were hurt themselves by not changing the voting system. No reason electoral reform and pharmacare could not both be done next term. I've been in favor of TMX till now even though my rail shares would do better if it wasn't expanded. Listening to the likes of Kenny & Moe the last few days I'm starting to change my mind. I usually don't take good to threats. One option might be to hand it over to some BC native bands and let them kill it. 

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2019/10/22/Trudeau-Electoral-Reform-Broken-Promise/

Archived