Biometric scanning system to be trialled in five provincial airports

webfact

Biometric scanning system to be trialled in five provincial airports

Taworn-Senniam.jpg

The Ministry of Transport is considering using biometric technology for facial scanning of air passengers, initially at five provincial airports, as a pilot project under a plan to develop smart airports across the country.

Deputy Transport Minister Thaworn Senneam said today that a working committee, comprising representatives of the Department of Airports under the Transport Ministry, the Royal Thai Police Office and the Ministry of Interior, has been set up to conduct a study into the use of biometric scanning systems.

He said biometrics are widely used at airports in Europe, the Americas and in Singapore, with Malaysia currently studying the system. Mr. Thaworn stressed the need for biometric scanning systems in airports in Thailand, an important aviation hub in Asia, claiming the systems will cut check-in times by half and, in the future, might allow passengers to check in without the need to show their passports or ID cards.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/biometric-scanning-system-to-be-trialled-in-five-provincial-airports/

thaipbs.jpg

I believe we can thank Air Asia for this. Their CEO was quoted a few weeks ago as saying that he thinks he can save money by reducing check-in times by 50% and that he was pushing for this biometric scanning trial here and in KL. Lack of privacy and the slippery slope to Big Brother mentioned by Keith101 above is all but guaranteed in the future, I fear. And as always there'll be the shout of "if you've got nothing to hide then why not?" from the sheeple. Ask anyone back in the UK how they feel about this constant tracking - I haven't found anyone who's feeling good about it, or the future where Government control is absolute.

QUOTE:-

"The five provincial airports slated to be part of the trial are Krabi, Surat Thani, Udon Thani and Khon Kaen"

Already up and running (in operation) at KHON KAEN. I recently flew to Phnom Penh on an Air Asia "Fly-Thru" flight. Had my photo taken and 4 fingers of right hand checked on the new biometrics system.

17 hours ago, keith101 said:

Will they start putting them in at bus stations to expand Big Brother even further .

If bio-metrics are used at incoming international airports and strategically located domestic airports I think it is acceptable, as they have proven to be effective against the use of fake documents and thus prevent a large number of undesirables from coming into or moving conveniently around the country, bio-metrics can in certain instances also be of benefit especially if linked to purchasing tickets or check-in systems which does speed things up. 

I have no issue and would not term this as big brother as you like to call it.

More like using technology to the benefit of all !

Archived