NAS Drives

MJCM

Looking to buy a new NAS, which NAS is already sorted but the drives not yet.

I know it will be the 10 TB ones, but now which ones ?

Oke the choice is between the WD RED (WD100EFAX) and the Seagate Ironwolf but the Seagate has 2 types (except the PRO) the ST10000VN0008 and the ST10000VN0004.

Does anyone know what the difference is between these 2 drives from Seagate ??

And which one would you choose WD or Seagate ?

Thx

For what do you want to use the NAS? I.e. backup or 4k videos or …?

If you use RAID (mirrored hard disks) then you should use drives which are designed for that like i.e. WD RED.

Other disks will work but if you buy them anyhow new it's better to have the "correct" hard disks.

For what do you want to use the NAS? I.e. backup or 4k videos or …?

If you use RAID (mirrored hard disks) then you should use drives which are designed for that like i.e. WD RED.

Other disks will work but if you buy them anyhow new it's better to have the "correct" hard disks.

Storage. I have already 2 NAS, 1 raid 6 (4 drives) and 1 raid 1, but they are both getting full.

Both the drives I listed in the OP (WD red and ironwolf) are both special NAS drives

The new NAS will be Raid 1

Which NAS model?

We have a bunch of the N0004’s running in Synology NASs and have had no issues in two years running RAID5. (Well, except for running out of space and upgrading to 15TB drives...)

We use them in a Veeam backup cluster for our VMWare hosts.

We also have WD101KFBX-68R56N0 ‘s on another machine, but less history there. 

We also have some ST8000NM0055‘s that have been less reliable over the years, similar application. 

I have a Zyxel Nas @ 3,500bht cheap as chips.

Work well, takes 2 internal and 2 external drives, also got a cheaper single drive one from the same manufacturer but the fan makes a little noise after 5 years use. 1TB inside them and a 3TB WD on the outside. Mainly movies, music and photos.

No RAID silliness, gave up on that many years back after losing all my data when a stripe failed.

11 hours ago, MJCM said:

Storage.

If it's "just" storage then performance is probably not important for you.

I don't know the disk models you quote but maybe some of them are built for high performance (i.e. high RPM) and others not.

If you don't need high performance then it's probably better to use drives which are not build for high performance because high performance are by design not so good in other areas. And high performance drives are often more expensive.

If you don't want to look up all the details then the rule of thumb is probably: Look for a disks with long warranty and then chose the cheapest one of them.

My NAS are on 24/7, they don't need high performance discs but as they are on 24/7 I prefer discs that are made for NAS and the Ironwolf and the RED are those.

These discs come with a 3 year warranty, if you want 5 year warranty you need to go with the PRO series of them and those are a lot more expensive.

I will check out other discs, but I think I will still come out with either the RED's or the Ironwolf. (still not decided which one)

Edit: I just checked out other discs, but at 10TB storage there aren't many options !! You have the Surveillance discs, but they are even more expensive. http://invadeit.co.th/category/internal-hard-drives/10tb/

Re: Which Nas:

I have in total 4 NAS (but 2 are very old, DNS-320 and WDLIVE DUO so they are sitting unused), the other 2 NAS I have are 1 x DS918+ and 1x DS218+ (both synology). I was originally looking for the new NAS to become a QNAP but then I decided to go for Synology again and it will be the DS218 (no + this time). The 218+ (with additional RAM) is the work horse, running Sync Scripts at Night and is also running PLEX, the 918+ is the Backup Server

I would prefer to upgrade the DISCs in the 918+ to 5x10TB (1 spare), but finances (read: Low EURO (50+K THB vs 30+k THB)) holding me back so I have decided to go for 2x10TB and the DS218.

Running 3 Synology NAS here, and experience with WD Reds has been dismal. I use for large media collection, so not doing much writing at all. Gone through around 12 of them so far.

The Ironwolfs (so far, fingers crossed) have been fine on the other hand. Wouldn't go back to WD Reds if they paid me. 

On 10/23/2019 at 12:53 AM, MJCM said:

I would prefer to upgrade the DISCs in the 918+ to 5x10TB (1 spare), but finances (read: Low EURO (50+K THB vs 30+k THB)) holding me back so I have decided to go for 2x10TB and the DS218.

Haven’t checked prices recently, but you might try 2x14TB drives as a compromise.  I get the financial constraints... for work we generally go for the DS1618+ units with the m.2 SSD cache.  Nice easy solution for backup, even running a couple docker containers on one of them.  But, that is around US$3k filled out.

Had dismal experiences with WD drives in both synology and QNAP devices as well as a cctv surveillance DVR.  Approved models but numerous failures over the last 5 years so would not go there again.

Incidentally, I know the OP said he was set on another Synology and am curious as to why.  Excepting the build quality where Synology stands out, I have found my QNAP TS-651 to be far better on a day to day basis, the software more intuitive and reliable, at least on a Windows network.

I have replaced 2 WD Reds.
First failed after 1 year, second just before 3 year warranty expired.
Have removed the 8 ipcam images output storage from the NAS to an Raspberry Pi 3 with a USB stick - a much cheaper solution when problems occur, but crazy to have to do, thanks to WD Reds.

6 hours ago, Greenside said:

.Incidentally, I know the OP said he was set on another Synology and am curious as to why.  Excepting the build quality where Synology stands out, I have found my QNAP TS-651 to be far better on a day to day basis, the software more intuitive and reliable, at least on a Windows network.

Personally, the QNAP setup makes me worry more about information leakage than Synology. Firewall if the QNAP from the WAN seems to break a lot more things than with Synology. 

Archived