RAM in Windows PC

wgdanson

I have an i5 W10 Pro PC with 2 x 4GB RAM sticks. Found a spare 8 GB DDR3 stick from an old laptop so ordered an adapter from Lazada which arrived yesterday, Bht 172. Put the DDR3 into it.

Looked inside the PC and to my dismay saw that there were only two slots for RAM sticks. Said 'Oh F''K' , and turned PC back on, only to be met with continuous beeps, no boot up. I know that those beeps mean a CPU problem/failure, but the thing had been working fine 10 minutes earlier. Took out the original RAM sticks and put in the 'new' RAM/adapter. All fine.  Went back and tried each RAM stick individually in each slot, no good. The two RAMs had gone tits up at the same time. The RAM/adapter is 100% good. Any explanations anyone.

Unfortunatley I am the only PC in the village so cannot try the broken RAM in another PC.

One possibility is static electricity damage. When handling memory, or any IC chips, it is very easy to destroy the chip if you have not properly grounded yourself while handling the memory. The smallest amount of static electricity can look like a thunderstorm to these delicate chips.

yes the beeps are memory related 

Though static discharge is the most obvious explanation how you managed to do two sticks is puzzling

Are you sure the machine was off?

For anyone else working on their PC turn OFF pull out the power cord and switch on 

you will note the cpu fan takes a small turn this is the last discharge.

One last try

power off pull out cord

power button on

touch some metal ground yourself

take out the BIOS Battery

after a minute or two replace battery  and memory chips one at a time ( make sure you do the power off power button steps )

If the pc boots with one stick repeat the power off steps

( make sure you do the power off power button steps )

Yup, those beeps..... heart sinks to stomach.  ????

Just a question for OP, or anyone - would there be potential compatibility issue between the RAM from an older/disused laptop he's trying to use in, what I presume, is a newer computer with more modern motherboard?

3 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Yup, those beeps..... heart sinks to stomach.  ????

Just a question for OP, or anyone - would there be potential compatibility issue between the RAM from an older/disused laptop he's trying to use in, what I presume, is a newer computer with more modern motherboard?

The RAM from the old laptop in the adapter is working fine. 

35 minutes ago, timendres said:

One possibility is static electricity damage. When handling memory, or any IC chips, it is very easy to destroy the chip if you have not properly grounded yourself while handling the memory. The smallest amount of static electricity can look like a thunderstorm to these delicate chips.

I never even touched the RAM already in the PC, only shouted at it!   LOL

No worries, the 'old' 8 GB is working fine. Actually it is newer that the the  2 x 4 GB sticks which were bought in 2013.

16 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

The RAM from the old laptop in the adapter is working fine. 

Ah, ok - was more thinking the 2 existing ones might not like the new addition for some reason.

Anyway, empathize with you.   I've moved computers carefully, or opened them for cleaning/inspection and never tinker with the RAM in the slots, and still get the dreaded Beep.  Sometimes takes a few times removing the RAM (grounding step taken), clean and reseat before it finally boots back up.  Pain in the neck.

You'll get it, good luck.

21 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

I've moved computers carefully, or opened them for cleaning/inspection and never tinker with the RAM in the slots, and still get the dreaded Beep.  Sometimes takes a few times removing the RAM (grounding step taken), clean and reseat before it finally boots back up.  Pain in the neck.

Just hit the PC!

Switch it off, bang on the top with the flat hand and start it again.

In many cases that "solves" the problem.

In days of olde if you changed your RAM or hard drive you had to go into BIOS and enter info about.  Maybe the problem is something along those lines?

BTW, in that vid of the guy cleaning the RAM contacts he's doing it inside of his computer!  Bad idea, that.  If you have access to compressed air good idea to clean up on the inside, especially for dust build-up that may seep into the slots.  I had a hard time finding cans of compressed air in Thailand.

And Mr Danson, maybe best to leave the beer in the other room while doing maintenance.  ????

Archived