Non-O One Year Visa based on marriage at Savannakhet - Wife's ID name change already done?

Does one's wife's ID card copy - presented at application for Non-O Multiple Entry visa at Savannakhet - need to have been changed to married name?

How quickly can one get it changed after marriage?

I'm on a likely impossible tight schedule to get the marriage done so as to leave for Savannakhet before my SETV extension expires on 17th November.

Or face an extra visa run if it's not all completed in time....

(Owing to a ONE MONTH wait for UK Embassy appointment on 7th !!!) 

All else is covered - I know exactly what's required - done my research diligently! 

Problem is that I'm running out of time - my appointment at the UK Embassy is 7th November, and my SETV extension expires on 17th.

That leaves just a few days - when weekends taken into account.

Am considering using an agent to deal with Bang Rak amphur.... only way...

If it can't be done it means a border run (usually Savannakhet) for another SETV, or a visa exempt (usually Ban Pakkad / Phrum turn around.)

I believe there's a period of time given to changing the wife's name on her ID card, but can't remember how long.

When applying for the Non O Multiple Entry, does the name on her ID card have to have been already changed to her married name?

Similarly - passport - does she have to change her name on her passport before I can get the Non O Multiple Entry?

I've never seen these things mentioned - passport certainly isn't mentioned, but her signed ID copy is required.

It must then surely have to be updated to show her married name? or not?

Can one do the change of name on the ID quickly and easily?

(Yeah, don't laugh....)

Thanks

37 minutes ago, raysunshineray said:

I believe there's a period of time given to changing the wife's name on her ID card, but can't remember how long.

When applying for the Non O Multiple Entry, does the name on her ID card have to have been already changed to her married name?

My misses did it at the same time as the marriage.

But the name change is purely up to her.

Suvannakhet don't give a toss about her using your surname.

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

you could do a 60 day visit Thai wife extension at local immigration after the wedding to give you some time to sort out the trip to Laos

That sounds good. I was unaware of that.

I'm aware of the 60 day extension available on the Multiple Entry based on marriage for each 90 day entry.

Are you sure that this is available whilst still on an SETV?

(bearing in mind I'm on an SETV extension now.)

I mean do you have experience of this yourself or know anyone who has done that?

Not contradicting you, just want to be sure as I've never seen it mentioned before.

Could go in to CW to ask - pity it's usually a 4 to 5 hour round trip from where we live in the outer suburbs!

Thanks for responding.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My misses did it at the same time as the marriage.

But the name change is purely up to her.

Suvannakhet don't give a toss about her using your surname.

Thanks for that.

I'm sure it would have been mentioned somewhere if the name on the ID card had to be changed for the 'marriage visa'.

I was rationalising the thing in a situation where logic doesn't apply.

Should have known better after 35 years in various Asian countries... and still logic persists!

Thanks for responding.

6 minutes ago, raysunshineray said:

Your scuppered.

You could have done a 60 day extension based on Thai wife, but not now.

My wife took my married name.

Marriage certificate

Name change certificate.

Change of name in Tabien Baan.

New ID card, all completed within one hour at our local Amphoe.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

She does not have to change her name on the ID card. That has not been required since 2002. It is her choice as to whether she takes your family name or not.

Thanks Ubon Joe - valuable information.

So if it's her choice, I take it this applies across the board for most/all situations, and not just to Non-O based on marriage?

(Most situations vis-a-vis Thailand I mean - no intention of any trip to UK, not ever!)

Be good to get this done, as the noose appears to be tightening a little all the time.

18 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Your scuppered.

You could have done a 60 day extension based on Thai wife, but not now.

My wife took my married name.

Marriage certificate

Name change certificate.

Change of name in Tabien Baan.

New ID card, all completed within one hour at our local Amphoe.

Ok that's great.

I was expecting to have to leave after this extension, so nothing lost, nothing gained.

10 hours ago, raysunshineray said:

That sounds good. I was unaware of that.

I'm aware of the 60 day extension available on the Multiple Entry based on marriage for each 90 day entry.

I mean do you have experience of this yourself or know anyone who has done that?

Not contradicting you, just want to be sure as I've never seen it mentioned before.

Could go in to CW to ask - pity it's usually a 4 to 5 hour round trip from where we live in the outer suburbs!

Thanks for responding.

you can extended any entry once for 60 days, my local office will do a 30 day and then a 60 day on a tourist visa. photo of mine (entered on a tourist 7th oct until to 5th dec, extended on 25th nov until 3rd feb,) never done a 30 day followed by a 60 day, but they offered that option.

60 day ext on a tourist visaI.jpg

Edited by steve187

10 hours ago, raysunshineray said:

So if it's her choice, I take it this applies across the board for most/all situations, and not just to Non-O based on marriage?

It is written in the law. It applies in all cases.

If she wanted to change her name it can be done as soon as you registered her marriage and would only take a short time to do.

Your status means nothing when comes to the name change.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is written in the law. It applies in all cases.

If she wanted to change her name it can be done as soon as you registered her marriage and would only take a short time to do.

Your status means nothing when comes to the name change.

Once again Ubon Joe thanks for being so helpful.

All clear now.

I / We have no interest in name change, - just occurred to me that Savannakhet might for the Non-O based on marriage.

If they aren't, we aren't - anything that means one LESS regulation with which to comply is always Good News! 

4 hours ago, steve187 said:

you can extended any entry once for 60 days, my local office will do a 30 day and then a 60 day on a tourist visa. photo of mine (entered on a tourist 7th oct until to 5th dec, extended on 25th nov until 3rd feb,) never done a 30 day followed by a 60 day, but they offered that option.

60 day ext on a tourist visaI.jpg

Thanks for taking the trouble to upload that, - so I did take the trouble to scrutinise the details / dates in response.

As another member responded - ("your scuppered") - because I've just started a 30 day extension on my original 60 day SETV, and his remark suggests that you can't get an extension for visiting wife if you're already on an extension.

So my reading is that you can only do that - (what you've done) - within the 60 days of an SETV, and not when you've already extended the original SETV.

Still an assumption though, as the member who said I was scuppered didn't elaborate.

But he singled out and quoted the section of my post where I mentioned that I was on a 30 day SETV extension.

It sounds logical, but those from a Western background have to resist the compulsion to be rational and apply logic where it doesn't necessarily apply!

Thanks for your valuable input.

37 minutes ago, steve187 said:

i went for a 60 day extension and the officer said do you want a 30 day first and then later do a 60 day, i didn't need both, but i think you have to do the 30 day first and then the 60 day, if you need both.

The IO was confused or you misunderstood.

You cannot extend an extension.

You can extend one time for either 30 days, or if married 60 days.

7 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Perhaps the wrong wording since I have extended an extension 11 times.

Perhaps you could write a of 30 day extension cannot be extended but I am not sure their is rule against it.

7 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Many offices will extended a 30 day extension for 60 days. Many reports about it.

19 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The IO was confused or you misunderstood.

not what the officer said to me,

extensions are extended all the time year after year

Edited by steve187