UK police to interview U.S. diplomat's wife about fatal crash

snoop1130

UK police to interview U.S. diplomat's wife about fatal crash

harry-dunn-0.jpg

LONDON (Reuters) - British police officers will travel to the United States to interview the wife of a U.S. diplomat who was given diplomatic immunity after her alleged involvement in a car crash which killed a British teenager.

Harry Dunn, 19, died in August after his motorcycle collided with a car driven by Anne Sacoolas near RAF Croughton, an air force base in Northamptonshire, central England, used by the U.S. military.

Sacoolas left Britain shortly after the accident, setting off a diplomatic tug-of-war between London and Washington over whether she should return to face investigation.

"The suspect has cooperated fully with the police and with the authorities," Nick Adderley, chief constable of Northamptonshire Police, told reporters.

"She has also requested to be interviewed by British police officers, under caution, in the United States."

Adderley said that once visas were arranged for officers they would be travelling to the U.S. to interview the suspect.

On Monday, foreign minister Dominic Raab told parliament Britain was reviewing the rules which govern diplomatic immunity arrangements for U.S. personnel at the air force base.

President Donald Trump met Dunn's parents earlier this month in Washington, saying their meeting was "sad" but "beautiful." In a subsequent interview, the family said they felt pressure to allow Sacoolas to join the session.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-22

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"resident Donald Trump met Dunn's parents earlier this month in Washington, saying their meeting was "sad" but "beautiful." In a subsequent interview, the family said they felt pressure to allow Sacoolas to join the session. "

" sad but beautiful" ..

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/harry-dunn-latest-trump-henchmen-anne-sacoolas-parents-meeting-a9160806.html

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

A disgusting example of the abuse of diplomatic privilege.

Put aside the fact she’s avoiding a possible prison sentence, what she is actually doing is depriving the family of her victim justice and help towards the closure they need.

Get over it... She has diplomatic immunity period. It does not mean that she not has insurance or is evading justice. Nor is she declining being responsible for the tragic accident.  Justice is there to determine what happened and conclude how much in damages need to be payed. 

This was an accident, not a mayor crime...

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How high is the chance that she will ever go to jail for this even if she is guilty? Maybe 1% or less?

But if the USA wants Julian Assange then the UK jumps...

If ? She drove on the wrong side of the road for 400 metres and smacked him head on and killed him 

what’s with the ‘if’ ? 

1 minute ago, Ratt Thai said:

Get over it... She has diplomatic immunity period. It does not mean that she not has insurance or is evading justice. Nor is she declining being responsible for the tragic accident.  Justice is there to determine what happened and conclude how much in damages need to be payed. 

Should his parents ‘get over it’ ? The snivelling coward is hiding behind diplomatic immunity for a MAJOR CRIME - it stinks. 

If causing the death of someone isn’t a major crime what is ? 

6 minutes ago, Ratt Thai said:

Oh she has insurance. Thats ok then. Of you go, no harm done.

No not as if she is evading justice, just got bail then did a runner. No issue.

She is charged for a crime. Its not in civil court. Criminal court = crime.

Get over it.

5 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

"The suspect has cooperated fully with the police and with the authorities," Nick Adderley, chief constable of Northamptonshire Police, told reporters.

"She has also requested to be interviewed by British police officers, under caution, in the United States."

To cooperate fully - but only if you come from the UK to my house in the US. Interesting definition. 

6 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

To cooperate fully - but only if you come from the UK to my house in the US. Interesting definition. 

Exactly. I will cooperate fully from another country that will tell you that it doesnt care if i killed anyone as i aint goin nowhere. Tough titties.

Disgraceful. Go to UK court and face up to it.

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Diplomatic immunity for a case like this, ranks right up there with Thai libel laws, on the universal weakness scale.

And here we are thinking trump was against all this. Shaking it up. Draining the swamp. Doesnt care about the norms.

9 minutes ago, Sujo said:

And here we are thinking trump was against all this. Shaking it up. Draining the swamp. Doesnt care about the norms.

Funny. Cute. Draining the swamp, was right up there with MAGA and the wall. Fake rhetoric. Slogans. He did drain the swamp of 7 foot alligators. And re-populated it with 15 foot crocodiles. Look at the entire administration. Is there one soul who has a shred of virtue or integrity? Same goes for the congress and the senate.

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Put aside the fact she’s avoiding a possible prison sentence, what she is actually doing is depriving the family of her victim justice and help towards the closure they need.

yes... although I reckon there are 2 ways to consider the situation.

one way is to consider it abuse of diplomatic privilege - but what do we really know about what really happened that caused the death of Harry Dunn (RIP)?

I have seen enough court cases to know courts too often don't deliver justice. If this was a true accident for which the defendant bears very little or no responsibility at all, I can fully understand why diplomatic privilege was invoked. I would do the same, just to be on the safe side. Again, I have seen too many innocent people sentenced in accident cases, they got their lives destroyed for several years. The lucky ones spent thousands and thousands on lawyers and stressful years in court before being declared not responsible. It's sad, but I don't trust the courts to uphold justice. They will instead apply some version of the law, some win some lose, but in the end nobody wants to be that one person that loses because of a bad lawyer or a judge who is stupid or in a bad mood or simply thinks you look dodgy.

The driver knows whether she bears responsibility or not - I don't know what happened.

If she's not responsible for what happened then I see no ethical issues in avoiding investigation or prosecution, I wouldn't understand why one should undeservedly be exposed to unnecessary legal risks that can possibly ruin a (another) life as a consequence of that accident.

8 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

If ? She drove on the wrong side of the road for 400 metres and smacked him head on and killed him 

what’s with the ‘if’ ? 

I didn't follow all the news about that case.

As far as I know she is officially a suspect and not convicted. And this justifies that "if" IMHO.

10 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Not really because she was able to leave the country by invoking this diplomatic immunity.
Those who did not do their job properly were the British Immigration Officers who did not check what she was saying to them.
She could not show them a diplomatic passport since she does not have one.
It may have been a so-called "service passport" but it is by no means a diplomatic passport.

From a french Wiki page ( no english page ! )

"The service passport is a type of passport that can be issued to nationals of the issuing country who, not being entitled to the diplomatic passport, perform missions or are posted abroad on behalf of the government1.

It may be issued to civil or military agents of the State, to their spouses if they do not engage in any gainful activity and to their minor children. "

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How high is the chance that she will ever go to jail for this even if she is guilty? Maybe 1% or less?

But if the USA wants Julian Assange then the UK jumps...

Completely agree that it is unlikely she would be sentenced to imprisonment.  Momentary inattention with no aggravating factors.  Mitigating factors of unfamiliar road system and usage, and possibly dealing with kids in car.

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/magistrates-court/item/causing-death-by-careless-or-inconsiderate-driving/

The offence would not be classified as Dangerous Driving under UK Law.

Big question is why on earth run away, and why are USA so keen for her to stay and not follow normal judicial process?

Is she Trump's nanny?

As someone suggested either her or her husband are/were spooks and if the police get their grubby little hands on it, well....

My ex wife worked in admin for the "police" and drove various "company" cars. Biggest possible work related gaff would have been to get a traffic violation while driving a "company" car. Because then the license plate, which were revolved frequently, would be compromised once plod put the number into the system. Then that plate would have to be scrapped and another one "procured".

Not exactly a spook but if plod gets hold of her, then questions would need to be answered in public.

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Diplomatic immunity for a case like this, ranks right up there with Thai libel laws, on the universal weakness scale.

The husband works for the NSA - believe she (or both) were recently arrived at this posting - and diplomatic immunity for non-diplomats appears to be something specially negotiated between the two countries for ~ 25 years?

No clue why she did a runner, after two weeks, if she has diplomatic immunity? Or if she was innocent?

The attempted shark-jumping of the parents at the WH was unusually cruel and vulgar.

12 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

The husband works for the NSA - believe she (or both) were recently arrived at this posting - and diplomatic immunity for non-diplomats appears to be something specially negotiated between the two countries for ~ 25 years?

No clue why she did a runner, after two weeks, if she has diplomatic immunity? Or if she was innocent?

The attempted shark-jumping of the parents at the WH was unusually cruel and vulgar.

She did a runner because the pressure increased.

Your suggestion she may be innocent is ludicrous.

And no, no shark jumping, they rightfully refused to be used as photo ops by Trump. So maybe I didn't fully understand the latter part of your post, if you mean Trump's behaviour was cruel and vulgar we're in agreement.

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

Not really because she was able to leave the country by invoking this diplomatic immunity.
Those who did not do their job properly were the British Immigration Officers who did not check what she was saying to them.
She could not show them a diplomatic passport since she does not have one.
It may have been a so-called "service passport" but it is by no means a diplomatic passport.

From a french Wiki page ( no english page ! )

"The service passport is a type of passport that can be issued to nationals of the issuing country who, not being entitled to the diplomatic passport, perform missions or are posted abroad on behalf of the government1.

It may be issued to civil or military agents of the State, to their spouses if they do not engage in any gainful activity and to their minor children. "

Why do you think she did not have a diplomatic passport?

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

She did a runner because the pressure increased.

Your suggestion she may be innocent is ludicrous.

And no, no shark jumping,

Pretty sure we're on the same page on this one...

My comments re: doing a runner, were facetious/rhetorical. She did a runner because she was guilty, and because the NSA advised it.

Shark-jumping refers to an outrageous attempt to rescue a failing position. (An ancient TV reference to the Happy Days episode.)

11 hours ago, Ratt Thai said:

You clearly have a very narrow understanding of justice.

Archived