MOved to BKK from europe and all my gmails are blocked now

parafareno

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I'm up near Nong Khai and both Skybet and bet365 have blocked me since the start of the English footy season.

Hotmail; is it going to close down soon? I'm getting requests to contact them. Not sure if they are genuine messages.

Hotmail changed to Outlook years ago. Where have you been? [email protected] is just an email address. Now you need to choose @outlook.com

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

That is one that I find pissing me off constantly when trying to plan some upgrades to my place in the US from the beach here. 

Enough to get me to get my phone-home VPN up and running reliably... so I guess I can thank them.  Now signing up for VOIP accounts or new credit cards or whatever is nice and easy.  I wonder if the “bad guys” ever thought of that...

Just do what I do when I want an appliance for myself or my tenants just before I go back to the states in the Spring. I order them through Lowe’s. Home Depot is stupid for blocking us. 

9 hours ago, sirineou said:

Same here, Had the same Hotmail account , I can't even remember how long, travel to all different parts of the world at least twise a year, Never had a problem , so much so that the thought never occurred to me ,until I read this thread.

That’s pretty strange. I’ve had mine for 20 years and since about 5 years ago I’ve had my account blocked every time I came to a new country and had to verify that “ it was me “ trying to get on through my alternate e mail address they have for me ( yahoo) I just went to 6 European countries in Sept and it happened in all of them Turkey last week as well but for some very strange reason I arrived in Thailand on Monday and nothing!  Can they be sick and tired of me saying “ it’s me “ constantly lol. 

2 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

That’s pretty strange. I’ve had mine for 20 years and since about 5 years ago I’ve had my account blocked every time I came to a new country and had to verify that “ it was me “ trying to get on through my alternate e mail address they have for me ( yahoo) I just went to 6 European countries in Sept and it happened in all of them Turkey last week as well but for some very strange reason I arrived in Thailand on Monday and nothing!  Can they be sick and tired of me saying “ it’s me “ constantly lol. 

strange.....it is so sick to have to confirm this, but on the other hand they protect your data too...

3 minutes ago, parafareno said:

strange.....it is so sick to have to confirm this, but on the other hand they protect your data too...

Yes if you read all the blah blah blah that is the exact reason, they see my devise signing on or trying to access my account in a new place and of course it says the country and exact time that it happens and now I click it was me. But 3 or so years ago it was not that easy and when I googled it there were thousands of complaints and I have to say dozens of ways to fix it and they weren’t all the same. So it was confusing at least to me. I even changed passwords a few times and deleted and added the e mail account which helped some of the times. But now it seems to just send me the e mail from my alternate account and I say it’s me. I’ve been waiting since Monday when I arrived here for it to happen and it didn’t lol. 

6 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

That is strange.

Do you use the same laptop to access your email that you use in the States?  I have being using the same laptop that I use for years and have being dragging it with me everywhere I go. Perhaps it recognises my machine??. Also I don't use Outlook, I simply log on to the Hotmail website. Other than that I have no idea. 

Not sure if it has being asking me to verify my identity, I don't think it did but I can't remember. I am back in the US now so I can't check, but I don't remember anything overly  annoying though, and was always able to gain access to my emails.

Haven't checked on my Email from overseas since last May , Have being in the States since then.Perhaps the problem you guys have is a lately implemented security measure? and I will have the same problem when I come back this Spring.   

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

There's no Hotmail anymore, it's Outlook now, and hotmail.com addresses will not stop to exist. Where did you read that? 

I forget the word "are" existing , so I thought maybe they limit them .I have Hotmail several  and outlook several  all working almost same names ..., only synchronizing give sometimes problem (something as permissions expired ,and must then login from them to that other account …. confusing …)

1 hour ago, parafareno said:

This kind of third step confirmation is common now and often uses an OTP via SMS or a log in code via smart phone. It happens when you use a different machine such as at an internet cafe or if you clean your cookies regularly.

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

That is strange.

Do you use the same laptop to access your email that you use in the States?  I have being using the same laptop that I use for years and have being dragging it with me everywhere I go. Perhaps it recognises my machine??. Also I don't use Outlook, I simply log on to the Hotmail website. Other than that I have no idea. 

Not sure if it has being asking me to verify my identity, I don't think it did but I can't remember. I am back in the US now so I can't check, but I don't remember anything overly  annoying though, and was always able to gain access to my emails.

Haven't checked on my Email from overseas since last May , Have being in the States since then.Perhaps the problem you guys have is a lately implemented security measure? and I will have the same problem when I come back this Spring.   

I dumped my laptop about 3 years ago and use just an I phone and I pad now. I changed my I phone last year and before that four years ago but if your laptop is old that may be why. For example my trip to Europe was the first time I’ve been back there for several years so maybe that’s why and actually I’m using a lot of different SIM cards in each country so now that I’m thinking about it maybe that is another issue because I may be signing in with the same devise but it doesn’t recognize the sim and / or provider (hmm) but what was strange that when it happened the first time and I went to google  many people in the states said they would travel 100 or 200 miles from home and this was happening!! Anyways you should keep that trusty old laptop lol!

People whose hotmail/live/outlook email get questioned when they change location are people who (correctly - for privacy and avoiding tracking) do not save cookies.

They are using an app or a browser which deletes cookies (or doing it manually but that is doubtful).

People who travel the world "...and I never had your problem" are people who save cookies forever.

There could be other reasons but definitely cookies are the first issue to check.

The best solution is to use Protonmail and/or Tutanota and/or one of these - https://www.privacytools.io/providers/email/

for one's email.

For those not worried about privacy because "I have nothing to hide" or some other simplistic excuse -

if you are not worried about privacy please list your account name and password for your email and all your social media accounts.

Let your fellow TVF posters get to browse your personal messages and info, rather than potentially thousands of faceless others who work for Google or MSN and/or governmental "Intelligence" agencies.

On 10/23/2019 at 10:24 AM, JimmyJ said:

Guard your privacy with a free account from Tutanota and/or Protonmail - excellent email, its encrypted (automatically), a 3rd party won't be able to read your mail and keep a record of it,  you won't be jerked around by Google, and there is a functioning cs department.

Protonmail is the way to end all the email issues that Google profits from.

On 10/22/2019 at 6:16 AM, NanLaew said:

It's not only some US banks that are geoblock; in my experience Capital One blocks whereas Bank of America doesn't. Even the not so wonderful AT&T sometimes needs a VPN to log in. What I find strange are the regular US businesses that prohibit access from non-US IP addresses. The latest one I have discovered is Home Depot!

I tied to look at ranges. Couldn't.

On 10/23/2019 at 4:25 AM, tjo o tjim said:
On 10/22/2019 at 8:16 PM, NanLaew said:

The latest one I have discovered is Home Depot!

That is one that I find pissing me off constantly when trying to plan some upgrades to my place in the US from the beach here. 

Enough to get me to get my phone-home VPN up and running reliably... so I guess I can thank them.  Now signing up for VOIP accounts or new credit cards or whatever is nice and easy.  I wonder if the “bad guys” ever thought of that...

I use the free Browsec VPN and have their app, add-on or whatever installed in each of my 3 browsers. Quick one-click to turn it on, browser refresh and there you are browsing power tools like a boss.

Archived