Tactics for resolving a loud music problem successfully

Gecko123

41 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Avoid direct confrontation or you may get the <deleted> beaten out of you. Try the Godfather system, give the village head man a bottle of Scotlands finest amber nectar and ask if he could arrange some silence. Or try a bribe to the police.

Either that or leaving a horses head in his bed might be just as effective!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let the nearest local rich & influential people do all the work for you. But don't expect fast results. At least that way, as a farang, you get to live a bit longer.

The problem here is not so much young people, but actually adult club/bar owners running money-laundering operations. The singer (usually not young either) is paid by something like an annual contract to turn up, come hell or high-water. several days a week and sing the same old boring songs. I am almost offended more by the repertoire than the volume; but the volume definitely interferes with sleep patterns and other health. The singers are expected to turn up the volume as publicity, to pull in just enough punters to appear like the owner is running a real business. The business is open-sided for the same reason. Direct profit perhaps isn't really that important, anyway. But then there are all the other illegal things/services that either you or your underpaid staff can sell on the side to your clientele. And of course there are often uniformed investors in the business anyway. The ordinary cop can do nothing about any of this. There is also a noise problem from the clientele. They tend to spend all their time ranting on about how bad the government, chao bahn, farangs and the police all are. They have to shout to be heard over the top of the over-amplified singer, whose repetoire has become so boring no one really bothers to listen to it at all (except the chao bahn. ????) When the cops eventually get around to imposing a closing time, the clients (usually a bunch of alcoholic/ pill-popping spoilt-rich under-employed male tossers will sit outside with gold-digging female staff members laughing both their stoned heads off until just before sunrise. And then depart home to sleep off the rest of the day, making a massive row with their pimped-up rides. Sleeping it off is quite acceptable to Hun Maa & Khun Paw, but they are expected to take their obnoxious anti-social habits away from home, where the neighbors can't afford to complain.

I'm listening to this racket right now. You sort of get used to it, eventually. Whatever you do as a farang, never try visiting the place to reason with them or threaten them. You really do not want to identify yourself for cheap target practice Keep a low profile during their working hours, and they probably won't even realise you exist. Complaining to the authorities is a total waste of time.

Edited by Mexlark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

You could try out a setup with a CB radio,connected to an extremely powerful amplifier and in turn connect amplifier to a high powered speaker,I believe it works wonderfully well with offending speakers.

Is that like degaussing? I have wondered if it was possible; but decided not to waste my money when I would also have to put up with the meltdown-level speaker screech myself. I have a whole host of sadistic ideas to get my own back, but none of them are really at all practical.

Edited by Mexlark

1 hour ago, sweatalot said:

Try noise cancelling headphones. I've got Sennheiser bluetooth NC.

Heavenly silence.

Another trick might be white (or pink) noise from a speaker, combined with sounds (rain eg), if you like it

It rains here enough already. But seriously, I have noticed that the rainy season helps to cancel out some of the aural damage of the cool and hot seasons.  Noise-generating cretins don't really like rain much, either.

Edited by Mexlark

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

I always had the impression Thai's are spooked by silence. Need to up the noise to scare off all those evil spirits! 

Some are spooked by loud noises too. The neighbour in my GF's village blazes away with a shotgun during thunderstorms for the same reason.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

Every time you hear the music from now on it means he's hungry

Good one, ukrules. The idea of gifting this guy with a bag of rice actually came up a couple of years ago but was rejected out of fears that it would become 'If you expect me to turn my stereo down, I'll be expecting a carton of smokes and a case of Chang every Thursday from here on out.' I didn't risk much by giving him some green beans from my garden, and had a 'let's just see what happens if I do this' attitude. I will say that if he maintains the goodwill until the end of the year, I am thinking about giving them a case of milk for their kids for New Year's.

9 hours ago, Matzzon said:

It would have been much more easy to learn how to appreciate morlam music. Now he is thinking everyday on how to give back on you.

One thing I don't think you appreciate is that once you get a certain distance away from loud amplified music, none of the high frequency treble and mid-frequency melodies or vocals are audible. The only thing you hear is the low frequency bass. It ceases to be recognizable as music, and often sounds more like living next door to an artillery range.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

One thing I don't think you appreciate is that once you get a certain distance away from loud amplified music, none of the high frequency treble and mid-frequency melodies or vocals are audible. The only thing you hear is the low frequency bass. It ceases to be recognizable as music, and often sounds more like living next door to an artillery range.

Yeah, I know you are talking about my neighbour, before I tought drunk <deleted> how to behave in the real world.

Edited by Matzzon