Another successful METV entry - at DMK

Been on 3 or 4 METVs throughout the years. Reading all the reports of people being denied got me a bit worried before the trip.

I flew out of Thailand with the gf for a few days holiday then returned back here a few days ago via DMK using the last (3rd) entry of the METV. Arrived back in the evening and walked to the Thai passport line with the gf. Both of us walked up and presented out passports at the same time. After processing the gf's Thai passport, the male IO started processing mine. He asked the gf if I ever overstayed which she said no. Would've thought he could see all the history on the computer anyway without asking. After that he stamped me in for 60 days.

Could it be possible that the other people who reported that they were denied entry have past overstays? Otherwise are IO more lenient on letting people in that arrive and use the Thai line with their Thai gf? I'm not sure if using a male IO or female IO makes much difference. The 2nd entry was also done with my gf via the Thai line with a female IO and she just stamped me in without any questions. That was 3 months ago.

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1

Very vague post. METV "through out the years" means what exactly. Also bit weird pp control allowed you approach pp control together. 

No offence. You need post exact record of entries to airports using METV over last few years. A hai gf counts for zip I would have thought.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Been using a METV for at least 3 years already with about 2 months spent in the home country each time I go to get a new METV. All entries have been through Swampy except for the last two entries which were DMK.

Why weird approaching passport control together? I've approached it both times with the gf at DMK. Actually, the 1st time I went alone first then the IO asked for my gf to come to the counter together, where the IO processed her passport first then mine. This time we just both walked to the counter together.

OK just to assist members. Your saying over last 3 years you can stay in los on METV with 2 month home country then 6 in los (should be 9 if planned right) Then wash repeat. Each metv can give 9 month in los. So cut to chase simple question. How many month spent in Los last 3 years

Do you mind mentioning your age, nationality and whether your Thai girlfriend is in employment? My own sense is that evidence you are in a steady relationship with a Thai probably does count in your favour, as it provides a respectable reason for your long periods in Thailand, especially if your girlfriend gives a good impression. I am sure not everyone will agree, though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Do you mind mentioning your age, nationality and whether your Thai girlfriend is in employment? My own sense is that evidence you are in a steady relationship with a Thai probably does count in your favour, as it provides a respectable reason for your long periods in Thailand, especially if your girlfriend gives a good impression. I am sure not everyone will agree, though.

Tim, I'm surprised with your post. So the op can basically live in Thailand with METV. Think he mentioned 3. Because he has Thai gf. I'm missing something. Geezus Thai pp control cannot judge "steady relationship".

I have taken the various friends to Saigon and back for weekend. It ain't steady. 

Edited by DrJack54

11 minutes ago, BritTim said:

What does good impression mean? Mean no high heels? Does not look like working girl? The farang attends imm control alone. Does not have school teacher Thai hold hand at pp control. What does Thai gf employment have to do with anything. 

I must be missing something.

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OK just to assist members. Your saying over last 3 years you can stay in los on METV with 2 month home country then 6 in los (should be 9 if planned right) Then wash repeat. Each metv can give 9 month in los. So cut to chase simple question. How many month spent in Los last 3 years

Last 3 METV's were:

9 months on METV then 9 months in home country due to personal reasons (usually only 2 months in home country).

Then 8 months on METV, then 2 months home country.

Now 6 months so far on this METV (will total 8 months then I fly back home and will stay for 2 months). Current METV is in a new passport due to old passport being expired.

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Mid-30s. Australian. Yes gf is employed.

Actually, when going to the Thai line at passport control, the IO doesn't know if the Thai girl is just a gf or a wife. Plus they don't ask anyway.

Edited by bbi1

12 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Last 3 METV's were:

9 months on METV then 9 months in home country due to personal reasons (usually only 2 months in home country).

Then 8 months on METV, then 2 months home country.

Now 6 months so far on this METV (will total 8 months then I fly back home and will stay for 2 months). Current METV is in a new passport due to old passport being expired.

OK, think that sounds bit different to previous description. Anyway good luck visit gf.

The OP mentioned that this was his third entry on current METV.. The issues with continuous METVs with short break back home, have been on first entry on new METV, not someone entering on their 2nd or 3rd entry. The current METV was accepted on first entry, so any further entries should be irrelevant. But his next new METV, arriving at Swampy or DM, could definitely create entry issues. I'd consider next trip with new METV to fly to KL and then new flight direct to CM where issues are rare, if non-existent. 

• Like 1

I thought its not possible to use Thai passport line anymore because of the fingerprinting issue. But it is definitely a good news to me that there is a chance they let you use a Thai line in DMK when traveling together with gf.

On 10/23/2019 at 9:51 PM, Trek800 said:

I thought its not possible to use Thai passport line anymore because of the fingerprinting issue. But it is definitely a good news to me that there is a chance they let you use a Thai line in DMK when traveling together with gf.

They have fingerprint scanners there too, but they didn't use them to scan when entering DMK that day.

25 minutes ago, MarkyM3 said:

I am sure the OP has mentioned previously he is of Asian ethnic origin, which may be of significance. Apologies if that is not correct.

Yes that's correct, but I hold a Western passport. Others here previously have said that asians are treated no differently than white people.

16 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Yes that's correct, but I hold a Western passport. Others here previously have said that asians are treated no differently than white people.

But indeed they are!! Try to charge your BTS Rabbit Card in BKK as a westerner. No Chance without a passport. Try this with an Asian look..they won`t even ask you and recharge your card. Tried it myself to test it, got denied..gave the card to a Taiwanese friend, went to another counter and she got what she wanted.

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I would say that's something of a leap of faith in Thailand...! Try going to a few National Parks for starters. The last time I did, 400 baht for me (UK caucasian male), 40 baht for gf. Had that experience several times previously, too. One example of double pricing (which exists in other sectors as well).

And if you speak Thai (and the people around you do not know that), you will hear that some Thais do not treat people equally. 

You have multiple METVs and are using what appears to be a quite notorious entry point into Thailand yet have no issues. I am not entirely sure your experience tallies with the other stories seen on here recently, to be fair. Hence why that piece of information you left out was fairly vital imo. I'm glad it worked out for you though ????

Edited by MarkyM3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SpanishExpat said:

But indeed they are!! Try to charge your BTS Rabbit Card in BKK as a westerner. No Chance without a passport. Try this with an Asian look..they won`t even ask you and recharge your card. Tried it myself to test it, got denied..gave the card to a Taiwanese friend, went to another counter and she got what she wanted.

Not true. I sometimes got asked at the BTS station, sometimes didn't get asked and I'm "with an asian look". When asked I told them I don't have my passport and they said next time I'd need to show it and they just recharged it. Now I just top up at McDonalds. No need for passports there to top up.

If people "with an asian look" are treated differently/better than I hope that works to my advantage with my next new METV next year when entering via the airport.

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkyM3 said:

I would say that's something of a leap of faith in Thailand...! Try going to a few National Parks for starters. The last time I did, 400 baht for me (UK caucasian male), 40 baht for gf. Had that experience several times previously, too. One example of double pricing (which exists in other sectors as well).

And if you speak Thai (and the people around you do not know that), you will hear that some Thais do not treat people equally. 

You have multiple METVs and are using what appears to be a quite notorious entry point into Thailand yet have no issues. I am not entirely sure your experience tallies with the other stories seen on here recently, to be fair. Hence why that piece of information you left out was fairly vital imo. I'm glad it worked out for you though ????

National parks charge me ripoff foreigner prices too as an asian looking dude.

I guess maybe having an "asian name" in my Western passport is a good thing? But previously when I asked here if being asian with a Westerner passport people said it makes no difference and they saw Chinese and Indians at the airport detention area.

1 hour ago, SpanishExpat said:

If you had walked to another counter, you might have succeeded as well. And I'm saying this, as a white guy, based on my very own experience. As with most other things in Thailand, there simply isn't any consistency.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I guess maybe having an "asian name" in my Western passport is a good thing? But previously when I asked here if being asian with a Westerner passport people said it makes no difference and they saw Chinese and Indians at the airport detention area.

I suspect you are at an advantage, for whatever reason - at least in some cases like your DMK case. I was also pretty surprised they allowed you to use the Thai immigration line with a girlfriend (i.e. not a wife) and at the same time. Maybe I should try it with my fiancee..I wonder what the reaction will be. 

I get the impression you have been semi-living in Thailand on a tourist visa for the last 3 or so years (though you didn't say how long you spent outside Thailand while those METVs were active i.e. flying to other countries and re-entering on said visa?). You also used DMK, which has been shown up as being very problematic for people with arguably less immigration history than yours. You are also in your mid-30s: most people need to work at that age (presumably you don't need to or have passive income - yet possessing proof of that does not seem to matter a jot to IOs if you read other case history). Yet no issues for you (as I say - good for you!).

Reading other recent cases here of people being refused entry - on the face of it, yours should be ringing a few alarm bells....in theory. 

Edited by MarkyM3

36 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I have a similar history to the Op using METVs and have never been quizzed by Immigration. Maybe its luck but i think they are profiling people, maybe I don't fit in that category, but i noticed last entry the IO barely looked up

Are you white and hold a Western passport? Roughly what's your age? How do you dress when arriving at the airport?

Edited by bbi1

Are you white and hold a Western passport? Roughly what's your age? How do you dress when arriving at the airport?
White Brit 49, usually just combat shorts and a polo shirt. Look like a normal guy, very handsome...555 maybe that's the reason

The entry into Bangkok airport is more of a worry than the land border runs

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

White Brit 49, usually just combat shorts and a polo shirt. Look like a normal guy, very handsome...555 maybe that's the reason

The entry into Bangkok airport is more of a worry than the land border runs

Which airport do you use - DMK or BKK? I fly in and out from the UK so it's BKK for me (I take a direct flight). I last used DMK a couple of years ago after entering from Malaysia. No issues then but I would no longer want to risk it. 

Edited by MarkyM3

3 hours ago, MarkyM3 said:

I suspect you are at an advantage, for whatever reason - at least in some cases like your DMK case. I was also pretty surprised they allowed you to use the Thai immigration line with a girlfriend (i.e. not a wife) and at the same time. Maybe I should try it with my fiancee..I wonder what the reaction will be. 

Give the Thai line a go, walk up together with your fiancee. I did it twice with the gf at DMK, no issues. In fact, I asked on this forum about 6 months ago if it's ok and the response I got is that others here have done it with their Thai gf/wife very often at Swampy & DMK. Presume other airports are the same.

6 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Hold the front page.. People with valid visas can still enter the country. 

Its really come to this folks !! Think about that for a second. 

It doesnt really say anything.

Clearly, OPs like this are influenced by the stories on Thaivisa from trolls (more or less) saying the Thais are locking farangs out of the country.

Thousands will pass through Thai immigration daily without any thoughts of fears and phobias of getting denied...

of course a lot of them would not be readers of Thaivisa, so they are not aware of the ghastly plot going on..

for them, visas are stamped and the life of a traveller goes on.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Geezus, talk about milking your own thread. I forget what it was about... Think something along lines if successful METV entry. Should of ended page 0.

I was phu thap boek few weeks back. Needed drive through national park. Farang 500baht. Thai 40 baht. Car 40baht. 

Few weeks back to koh Samed. Farang 200. Thai 40.

Anyway op, stick to your op. Was it METV? I forget.

21 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Give the Thai line a go, walk up together with your fiancee. I did it twice with the gf at DMK, no issues. In fact, I asked on this forum about 6 months ago if it's ok and the response I got is that others here have done it with their Thai gf/wife very often at Swampy & DMK. Presume other airports are the same.

Yes it can work. The io assume your married. Even then you don't generally attend passport control together. However it occurs. I fly at least every month with Thai gf and she goes to Thai express and I go to "foreign pp". Most times its 15 min difference. So yes its possible. So is pushing in a que.