THAI rejects reports it is cancelling flights to 4 Asean destinations

snoop1130

THAI rejects reports it is cancelling flights to 4 Asean destinations

By THE NATION

800_2722a8d090568a1.jpg

THAI president Sumeth Damrongchaitham

Thai Airways International (THAI) has dismissed reports that it will stop flying to four Asean destinations, namely Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar.

In a statement from the airline on Tuesday (October 22), THAI president Sumeth Damrongchaitham iterated that there is no truth to reports that the airline will stop flights to these four destinations. 

He said that as the company is preparing its corporate strategy, a thorough analysis must be conducted on all routes based on current market conditions. At present, the statement said, the carrier has not made any changes to its routes and there are no plans to cease any flights.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30377651

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-22

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

He said that as the company is preparing its corporate strategy, a thorough analysis must be conducted on all routes based on current market conditions.

Translation: We have a team of people finding the words we need to use to pretend that the signs of our business imploding before your eyes are, in fact, the signs of a business executing smart decisions. By the end of next year we will have cut all unprofitable routes and our corporate focus will shift to the only profitable part of our business, a durian stand in Ubon Ratchathani.

Unbelievable - perhaps intending passengers have already made alternative bookings with other airlines and THAI has empty planes! I never fly THAI within ASEAN and I always use Air Asia despite criticisms of baggage costs and comfort - no problems for me!  

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He said that as the company is preparing its corporate strategy, a thorough analysis must be conducted on all routes based on current market conditions

Something real airlines do on a daily basis to stay competitive..

Thailand does it only when the mire has hit the fan !

The last flight I had with them was a direct flight from Bangkok to New York and back. Was very interesting since we flew over the North Pole. And there was excellent service. Will have to do the trip next year again. Sadly this non stop flight does not exist anymore. Flew a lot with Thai and never got disappointed. But all my flights were some years ago. 

I believe, didn't the news reports the other day say THAI was going to be "shifting" those routes to Thai Smile instead of being flown by THAI itself.

Corporate PR weasel worders could easily claim that means those routes aren't being canceled or discontinued, just changed or shifted, etc etc... 

On 10/23/2019 at 11:42 AM, Beggar said:

The last flight I had with them was a direct flight from Bangkok to New York and back. Was very interesting since we flew over the North Pole. And there was excellent service. Will have to do the trip next year again. Sadly this non stop flight does not exist anymore. Flew a lot with Thai and never got disappointed. But all my flights were some years ago. 

Thai hasn't had any direct flights to the U.S. for some years now... Your age is showing.... :biggrin:

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thai hasn't had any direct flights to the U.S. for some years now... Your age is showing.... :biggrin:

If I remember correctly it was in 2007 when I have been there. It was a smaller special plane with four engines. They and other airlines stopped all these long haul flights because they were too expensive. Now some airlines think to start again to provide such flights. No idea how I will get there next year without dying because there is no direct flight anymore. I have been postponing almost 12 years now but I still have many things in a storage there and I have to get finally rid of them... A nightmare for me to fly there. Now I am 12 years older and not so fit anymore like last time. 

Archived