Dunlop or Michelin

StevieAus

Hi I have a Ford Everest Titanium 3.2 liter which is fitted with Dunlop 265 x50R20 tyres we use it regularly for a 300 + kms round trip and a couple of times a year longer trips but never go off road.

I am looking to replace the tyres and the options seem to be either Dunlop or Michelin.

Has anyone with the same model had any other experiences or suggestions.

Thanks

I don;t have an everest, but have had more luck with Michelin compared to Dunlop. You cna get Michelin pilot sport 4 in your size. I use this tire on my swift - they have excellent wet and dry grip. I currently use Michelin primacy st3 on my crv - very quiet. There are a number of brands in your size - you can check them out at www.tivanon.com

I'm not proboting their size, but they give an idea what is available. 

I don't have an Everest. I swear by Michelins as a really good tire, very stable in wet conditions. I got 70,000 km out of them, and only turned them in because my mechanic told me I had tread cracking after 4 years, which is to be expected in this climate. They still were not down to the tread wear indicators.

23 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I don;t have an everest, but have had more luck with Michelin compared to Dunlop. You cna get Michelin pilot sport 4 in your size. I use this tire on my swift - they have excellent wet and dry grip. I currently use Michelin primacy st3 on my crv - very quiet. There are a number of brands in your size - you can check them out at www.tivanon.com

I'm not proboting their size, but they give an idea what is available. 

Thanks for your response the car is actually fitted with Goodyear

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't have an Everest. I swear by Michelins as a really good tire, very stable in wet conditions. I got 70,000 km out of them, and only turned them in because my mechanic told me I had tread cracking after 4 years, which is to be expected in this climate. They still were not down to the tread wear indicators.

Thanks for your response actually the car is fitted with Goodyear, have been looking at too many tyres

Don't know if it helps but I have a Tuna fitted with Dunlop 265/50R20 107v tyres They have done 32+k km. And they still look like new. Best grip I have ever had in the wet or dry.

N/B. I don't drive like a crazy man, on trips I usually keep to around 110kph, It's a camera thing.

If you have time. Would be interesting to know what price difference there is between the two.

30 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

For me tyres are about the cost of ownership vs safety. Too cheap = Unsafe. To expensive = A high cost per KM. Road use only. 

If a tyre has the encircled "E" on the sidewall, it has passed European safety standards, regardless of price...

14 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Re original post apologies but the car is actually fitted with Goodyear have been looking at too many tyres

How do you find the noise level with those? A friend of a family member got a new crv 2.5 with the goodyear efficiency grip (I believe the same as yours). The complained about the road noise with them. How were yours?

There's always a tradeoff between sportiness and comfort. Thre michelin ps4 scores highly across all categories, but I find them a little noisier then the original bridgesones (mind you, the suzuki is not well insulated from noise, unlike an everest. 

1 hour ago, Big Guns said:

When the original tyres on my Everest 3.2 were getting worn after 3 years I changed the to Michelin SUV road based tyres & they've been great in the wet & dry & no excessive noise.

I've not tried the suv spec yet; on the crv it came standard with primacy st tiress. They are indeed very quiet. Never braked in them hard yet; hope I dont have to:)

I have a Mitsu and I prefer Dunlop tires. Please check when they're produced. too many shops have tires on stock for years before a customer shows up.

Two, or three year old tires are already worn out without you knowing it.

You can check when they were manufactured on the side wall. 

5 hours ago, DavisH said:

How do you find the noise level with those? A friend of a family member got a new crv 2.5 with the goodyear efficiency grip (I believe the same as yours). The complained about the road noise with them. How were yours?

There's always a tradeoff between sportiness and comfort. Thre michelin ps4 scores highly across all categories, but I find them a little noisier then the original bridgesones (mind you, the suzuki is not well insulated from noise, unlike an everest. 

Don’t seem to have been a problem I get more noise from the roof rack

17 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Thanks for that something I have learned today will check the existing and proposed new ones

I have the same car as you, I replaced mine with Yoko Prada. Obviously no noise as it has noise canceling.

I think all tyres now have the E in a circle.

3 minutes ago, dreytom said:

Don't have a Ford Everest but I put some Michelin tires on my car and they've been fantastic. I bought them at 4wheelonline. Grip and cornering of these tires are impressive.

Michelin and others, produce many types of tyre. Your ride and "type" of tyre has worked good for you..

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, cornishcarlos said:

I'm calling BS on that

Mini Cooper S didn't have tyres, they ran on rails...

Must have been driver error ????????

????.......You are right, but, if they let go there is no turning back, as I found out....????...........????

ment

On 10/23/2019 at 12:33 PM, transam said:

If a tyre has the encircled "E" on the sidewall, it has passed European safety standards, regardless of price...

No such things as bad beer. Yet some beers are far better than others. Same with tires. Many exceed the minimum requirement.

Like any marque, it's a personal choice. Personally I'd go for Dunlop and then, anything rather than Bridgestone.

Having said that. At the moment we have 3 sedans fitted with Michelin variants and they're o.k. Will not replace with Michelins though.

Archived