Police shake-down. Advice?

bigrobtheactor

Don't drink and drive, you can be a hazard to both other road users and pedestrians alike and a target for the Thai police. Rumour is you can haggle them down to around 15,000, particularly if you can show them that is all you have. Other advice is try to pay them off as once they get you to the police station you will be processed and it is not fun. A year in jail is BS and scaremongering. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the "shake down" is he disputes the amount of alcohol in his system being as high as the Police claim.
Zero drinks, shakedown
Drinks, up to you

We all know the risks and not just here so why bother and then try to argue the fact

It is a non news stupid thread.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

well, theres a million other streets in bkk, why dont you just drive down another street? just kidding...;)

did the alcohol meter have a digital reading they showed you. would have asked to see it. maybe take a pic if possible.

for this sort of shakedown i would opt to pay any fines at the station, that makes things more on the up and up then curbside fines. not into paying on the spot fines at all esp for that amount.

what would have happened if the cop pulled you aside and took the 20k and processed you anyway and you had to pay a second time at the police station?

I don't see it as a shakedown but giving you an alternative option of avoiding court and a possible record and the price is comparable to a DUI in OZ and as Britman suggests they are often open to a bit of haggling especially if you do it in a friendly manner.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BestB said:

Shake down was it not. Promise of jail was just an empty threat.

But you would have been locked up for a day or two then off to court, pay a fine of 5000-8000 and then the possibility of visa troubles.

Some claim to be able to pay 5000 and i do not believe them, 20 000 is about the going rate.

By law you allowed 2 beers to be under the limit, so 3 wine coolers would be put you over the limit

Refreshing point of view, indeed not a shakedown, the guy was over the limit and was lucky enough to pay to escape further problems. 

Don't drink and drive and the problem wont occur. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johng said:

I think the "shake down" is he disputes the amount of alcohol in his system being as high as the Police claim.

Have you ever had a drunk or someone drinking agreeing with police readouts. I used to follow Dutch reality tv and they all claimed they drank just a bit and made up excuses. Why would it be different here. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Have you ever had a drunk or someone drinking agreeing with police readouts. I used to follow Dutch reality tv and they all claimed they drank just a bit and made up excuses. Why would it be different here. 

the curb is not a courtroom for starters

9 hours ago, brokenbone said:

the day they announced they would enforce against driving under influence

of alcohol was the day i started to take a taxi when ever i was going to drink beer.

theres absolutely no way i would ever get up on my feet again if i sleep

on a concrete floor for a night.

in revenge i stopped going out, so now the gogo bars

lose 2000 baht almost every evening of the year.

what goes around comes around

I have to admire your capacity for alcohol, or was that boom-boom every time?

My advice would be don't get on or in a vehicle and drive it if you have been drinking. And work on your negotiation skills, because I reckon I could have got it down to less than 10,000 baht.

Breath testing is based on the equilibrium between alcohol in the blood, and alcohol in the lungs. One can lower the breath reading by hyperventilating. However, always hyperventilate when standing, as if it is done while sitting in the car, and then standing up, there's a chance of passing out, which would tend to prove the police point.

• Like 1