Police shake-down. Advice?

bigrobtheactor

On 10/23/2019 at 3:32 AM, BestB said:

Shake down was it not. Promise of jail was just an empty threat.

But you would have been locked up for a day or two then off to court, pay a fine of 5000-8000 and then the possibility of visa troubles.

Some claim to be able to pay 5000 and i do not believe them, 20 000 is about the going rate.

By law you allowed 2 beers to be under the limit, so 3 wine coolers would be put you over the limit

But only if you have the 5 years licence, the temporary one is even less

40 minutes ago, kralledr said:

But only if you have the 5 years licence, the temporary one is even less

Indeed, but OP was trying to say he only had 3 wine coolers, which puts him over the limit either way

Edited by BestB

hey guys, i come from a country where you pay way, way, way more if caught.  but i guess i can come here and put other lives at risk.  sweet!!  So I have been drunk driving for 10 years, almost killed 100 people, caused 10 accidents, and i was going 200 kph in a 40.  so last night the cops pulled me over and made me pay 20,000 baht!!!  yea, sure, there are schools around here and kids walking ..... but i figured driving drunk here was different because the roads here are super safe!!!  am i a good citizen, i just want my money back!!!!  

yea, there is no compassion here.  

Stupid post from OP.  What kind of replies did he expect ?

Try this in Europe and you'll end up losing your bike and your DL will be confiscated for a year or longer. 

On 10/23/2019 at 12:32 AM, BestB said:

Shake down was it not. Promise of jail was just an empty threat.

But you would have been locked up for a day or two then off to court, pay a fine of 5000-8000 and then the possibility of visa troubles.

Some claim to be able to pay 5000 and i do not believe them, 20 000 is about the going rate.

By law you allowed 2 beers to be under the limit, so 3 wine coolers would be put you over the limit

A friend paid an 'on the spot fine' of 6000 baht about 6 months ago (in Bangkok).... (I condemn his drinking and driving).

I suspect the 'going rate' varies and is dependent on your communications skills, attitude, location and down to the individual policemen running the stop.

For the OP: This was a shake down, but the only reason they could shake him down is because he was already guilty of DUI, so he hadn't really a leg to stand on.

Should he have chosen to be stubborn its possible they would have breathalysed him back at the station with a 'proper device' and he may have been back under the legal limit. If he failed, its likely the case would have continued as you have described above.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

A friend paid an 'on the spot fine' of 6000 baht about 6 months ago (in Bangkok).... (I condemn his drinking and driving).

I suspect the 'going rate' varies and is dependent on your communications skills, attitude, location and down to the individual policemen running the stop.

For the OP: This was a shake down, but the only reason they could shake him down is because he was already guilty of DUI, so he hadn't really a leg to stand on.

Should he have chosen to be stubborn its possible they would have breathalysed him back at the station with a 'proper device' and he may have been back under the legal limit. If he failed, its likely the case would have continued as you have described above.

So the real question is, money possibly saved worth the risk or not?

1 minute ago, BestB said:

So the real question is, money possibly saved worth the risk or not?

Never worth the risk at all... Its not about the money (my FIL and some friends of mine could easily make a DUI offense in Thailand go away, in fact, I've made a DUI offense go away for my Wife (then GF) who at the time had had 2 Glasses of wine, drove and got stopped by a BiB who refused a bribe to let it go away (BTW: that was the last time my Wife had a drink then drove, she doesn't drink at all any more).

So, for me, its not about the money and has never been about the money, the sole reason I don't drive or ride drunk (or over the legal limit) is because I don't want any impaired ability on my part to be responsible for hurting someone else... I could never forgive myself if I hurt someone or worse. 

I'm no angel, I speed on the expressway when its empty, I enjoy getting drunk and having a great time with friends etc... but in no way is it acceptable for my behavior to have a negative impact on anyone else.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Never worth the risk at all... Its not about the money (my FIL and some friends of mine could easily make a DUI offense in Thailand go away, in fact, I've made a DUI offense go away for my Wife (then GF) who at the time had had 2 Glasses of wine, drove and got stopped by a BiB who refused a bribe to let it go away (BTW: that was the last time my Wife had a drink then drove, she doesn't drink at all any more).

So, for me, its not about the money and has never been about the money, the sole reason I don't drive or ride drunk (or over the legal limit) is because I don't want any impaired ability on my part to be responsible for hurting someone else... I could never forgive myself if I hurt someone or worse. 

I'm no angel, I speed on the expressway when its empty, I enjoy getting drunk and having a great time with friends etc... but in no way is it acceptable for my behavior to have a negative impact on anyone else.

I did not mean drink and drive risk, i meant refusing to pay to take a chance in police station ????

28 minutes ago, BestB said:

I did not mean drink and drive risk, i meant refusing to pay to take a chance in police station ????

Well in that case... Don't risk the station. Negotiate on the scene and don't give-in to a large pay out too easily but ultimately make sure you have an agreement before the situation escalates to a police station and official charges are filed. In this example (provided by the Op) he would be paying a premium for a guarantee of avoiding any further complications particularly with regards to their visa status etc which as you mentioned, BestB, could become compromised if charges were to become documented. 

In this case it all depends on whether or not the Op was certain he was not over the limit or not. The Op quotes he had 2-3 Wine Coolers between 4pm and 10pm (6 hours).

Which was it Op? Can't you remember, 2 or 3 ???

Either way, 3 Wine coolers over 6 hours is unlikely to place him over the limit. 

At DUI checkpoints the BiB use a cheaper device to check drivers - this device, 'the Wand' (as some call it) registers the presence of alcohol on the breath but not the amount, so any amount given at this stage is false (unless the BiB are using a proper breathalyzer or a more updated device than I have witnessed in the past). I've never heard of the numbers the Op uses (he blew a 7 and the legal limit is 2).

Hypothetically: In other examples - If someone has had 1 beer and stopped at a DUI check point they'd likely register for having had a drink (if tested with 'the wand') in this case it would be more prudent to save your 20,000 baht (or 6000 baht or whatever) and tell the BiB you have had 1 beer and that you are happy to go to the Station and be checked, you'll blow below the limit. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Incorrect and fallacious.  The limit on most ATM cards is not 20k. There is no such thing as a farang issue ATM card. Most foreigners travelling in Thailand use their foreign ATM cards.

He means that most ATM machines in Thailand issue a maximum of 20 notes... (so, 20,000 baht), some ATM machines do have a limit of 30 notes (although I'm not sure which). 

One could still use the same ATM multiple times to withdraw more money though - so the idea that the fine of 20,000 baht is limited to the ATM limit is flawed. 

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well in that case... Don't risk the station. Negotiate on the scene and don't give in to a large pay out too easily but ultimately make sure you have an agreement before the situation escalates to a police station and official charges are filed....  in this case the someone would be paying a premium for a guarantee of any further complications particularly with regards to their visa status etc which as you mentioned, BestB, could become compromised if charges were to become documented. 

In this case it all depends on whether or not the Op was certain he was not over the limit or not. The Op quotes he had 2-3 Wine Coolers between 4pm and 10pm (6 hours).

Which was it Op? Can't you remember, 2 or 3 ???

Either way, 3 Wine coolers over 6 hours is unlikely to place him over the limit. 

At DUI checkpoints the BiB use a cheaper device to check drivers - this device, 'the Wand' (as some call it) registers the presence of alcohol on the breath but not the amount, so any amount given at this stage is false (unless the BiB are using a proper breathalyzer) I've never heard of the numbers the Op uses (he blew a 7 and the legal limit is 2).

In other possibilities - If someone has had 1 beer and stopped at a DUI check point they'd likely register for having had a drink (if tested with 'the wand') in this case it would be more prudent to save your 20,000 baht (or 6000 baht or whatever) and tell the BiB you have had 1 beer and that you are happy to go to the Station and be checked, you'll blow below the limit. 

I do not know about BKK, but 2 things to note in Pattaya

1. When they pull you over, initial check is as you mentioned with a wand, if positive, you are taken to police booth which is always nearby and tested again on a proper machine.

2. Whatever you negotiate or do not, do not sign any paperwork, the moment you signed, case can no longer go away, no matter how much you offer to pay. The thing that can change with payment is recorded level of alcohol which then bears how much you would have to pay.

Little off topic is very surprising, as i mentioned, my staff daughter in law got done the other day, With small donation her case was expedited and she was in court this morning, same donation also showed her level at the very lowest possible.

Punishment is the surprising part, she was fined 4000 baht, which in fact is not a fine but turns out to be a good behavior bond.

She has to report to court every week for 4 weeks, once per week to do some cleaning for an hour and once complete she would be refunded.

From my knowledge and all the cases i witnessed, people get fined and case closed, but in her case more of a community service with  bail of only 4000 to be refunded by the courts

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BestB said:

I do not know about BKK, but 2 things to note in Pattaya

1. When they pull you over, initial check is as you mentioned with a wand, if positive, you are taken to police booth which is always nearby and tested again on a proper machine.

2. Whatever you negotiate or do not, do not sign any paperwork, the moment you signed, case can no longer go away, no matter how much you offer to pay. The thing that can change with payment is recorded level of alcohol which then bears how much you would have to pay.

Little off topic is very surprising, as i mentioned, my staff daughter in law got done the other day, With small donation her case was expedited and she was in court this morning, same donation also showed her level at the very lowest possible.

Punishment is the surprising part, she was fined 4000 baht, which in fact is not a fine but turns out to be a good behavior bond.

She has to report to court every week for 4 weeks, once per week to do some cleaning for an hour and once complete she would be refunded.

From my knowledge and all the cases i witnessed, people get fined and case closed, but in her case more of a community service with  bail of only 4000 to be refunded by the courts

About 15 years ago a friend got caught (British) he also had a choice of community service... 

Options were to teach English somewhere for a couple of hours a week, or to give blood a certain number of times. 

Both excellent penalties although I do question the logic of getting a drunk to give blood !!!!

I've no idea if these types of 'common sense' community service penalties still exist, but they should.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

About 15 years ago a friend got caught (British) he also had a choice of community service... 

Options were to teach English somewhere for a couple of hours a week, or to give blood a certain number of times. 

Both excellent penalties although I do question the logic of getting a drunk to give blood !!!!

I've no idea if these types of 'common sense' community service penalties still exist, but they should.

Well she paid 4000 today and will be cleaning court toilets for the next 4 weeks and then get her 4000 back, So i suppose community service options still exist.

I can only assume because her "adjusted" recorded level of alcohol was just over the limit, was the reason for leniency, because as i said, never seen or heard of "fine" being refunded at the end of community service.

PS. Lets hope blood donation option is few days after person sobered up .lol

Edited by BestB
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 3:49 AM, brokenbone said:

the day they announced they would enforce against driving under influence

of alcohol was the day i started to take a taxi when ever i was going to drink beer.

what a fine example of (deleted) you are

you stopped drinking and driving out of fear of being caught, not exactly very sensible or responsible are you

I see people every time I go out parking outside bars and knocking back drink after drink, why ?, transportation around pattaya is not expensive or a challenge 

anyone caught I have zero sympathy - you get what you deserve and in the case of the OP - would have been prosecuted deported and a fine 5x what he payed if I had anything to do with it, the is enough carnage on Thai roads as it is

On 10/22/2019 at 3:01 PM, Briggsy said:

You're 20,000 down and you will remain 20,000 down. No refunds possible here.

Get a police colonel as a good friend, so much of a good friend that you can phone him up next to you encounter a 'dragnet'. If you have been here since the eighties, you know this and don't need dudes on Thaivisa to tell you this.

Of course I "know" this, but I haven't had to do this - yet. Nit expecting my baht back, just trying to figure out best way to avoid this in the future. And you can dismiss the "if" thank you. You may have meant "since" - you're welcome.

Edited by bigrobtheactor

On 10/22/2019 at 3:50 PM, Why Me said:

To my mind you were lucky. Because you were drinking and driving which would have got you a suspended license in the west at least, if not prison time and/or community service if the alcohol level was high enough.

It would have been different if you were extorted sober. But that wasn't the case.

Okay, I wasn't that clear, I'll try again. I had about three drinks in almost as many hours, they smelled it as the last one had been finished less than half hour before - meaning I was not drunk. It's very hard for me to imagine I blew a 7 if the limit is 2. Seven means I would have been sh*t-faced. I was just about buzzed. That's all. I don't believe the device was accurate, I believe it was a set-up.

On 10/22/2019 at 4:14 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

You are a drunk driver.

As far as I am concerned, you deserved a fine of 100,000 plus; stop whining.

You paid a bribe to the police.

Do you think that you are getting it back? A refund? You are going to lodge a complaint AFTER you bribed a cop?

Grow up. 

You got off far, far, far easier than you deserve.

Learn from it and move on.

"Grow up"? "far, far, far''..  LOL! If you can step off your virtuous moral high horse long enough to read what I wrote you might understand that I am not looking for my money back - I am asking for advice on how to avoid/handle this type of encounter in the future. Btw, I don't whine, I make people whine.

On 10/22/2019 at 5:57 PM, Puchaiyank said:

Just don't drink and drive...it is not complicated...????

Maybe not for you but I like to drink wine / beer with my dinner and ride home from the restaurant on my bike. Sorry for the complication but it is what it is - I'm looking for a way to manage without drastic solutions. I don't believe I blew a "seven'' and if they did believe that why did they give me back my keys after I payed them, it was only a half hour later. That seem right to you?  

• Sad 1

On 10/23/2019 at 8:11 PM, MadMuhammad said:

I believe the law is 0.2 if on temporary licence or held it for less than 2 years and 0.5 (or equivalent Thai measurement) if 5 year license. Happy to be corrected 

Thanks for posting this!  According to Pattaya Unlimited you are correct.  I go to Thailand as a tourist every year or two and drive with an International Driving Permit and my US motorcycle license.  The BAC limit for me would be 0.02%. One beer and I could get a DUI in Thailand.  I always thought the limit would be 0.05% for all scooter and car drivers in Thailand, but I was wrong.  Now I know that I can't drink any alcohol and drive a scooter in Thailand.

the legal limit for blood alcohol content while driving with a full (5 year) Thai driving license in Thailand is 0.05 (50 milligrams). The legal limit while driving on a 1 to 2 year Thai driving license or international driving permit is 0.02 (20 milligrams). This legal limit equates to grams of alcohol per 100 ml of blood. 

https://www.pattayaunlimited.com/drunk-driving-penalties/

Edited by TheJayMan
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 8:43 PM, Anythingleft? said:

So where is the shake down?

You had been drinking and they let you pay to go on your way

Stupid action and stupid post......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Responding to a "stupid" post by insulting people who are asking for help? Must really suck to be you. Talk about "stupid" - the shakedown was that I wasn't drunk and they knew it. Three drinks in three hours. Even a troll that insults real people by calling them stupid should be able to do that math. They smelled alcohol on a white-boy on a motorcycle. Shakedown.

Edited by bigrobtheactor
  • Sad 1

On 10/22/2019 at 10:12 PM, johng said:

I think the "shake down" is he disputes the amount of alcohol in his system being as high as the Police claim.

Bingo. They smelled alcohol on a white guy driving a motorcycle. Ch-ching! Then after I paid them they gave me back my keys as if abracadabra in the space of a haf hour all the bad, mean, evil booze in my blood went away. Shakedown.