Police shake-down. Advice?

bigrobtheactor

On 10/22/2019 at 10:12 PM, johng said:

I think the "shake down" is he disputes the amount of alcohol in his system being as high as the Police claim.

Bingo. They smelled alcohol on a white guy driving a motorcycle. Ch-ching! Then after I paid them they gave me back my keys as if abracadabra in the space of a quick half hour all the bad, mean, evil booze in my blood went away. Shakedown.

• Sad 1

AGAIN?
Wow... catch up will ya...
I'm just sat here pondering the accuracy of your internal alcohol gauge that justifies saying that the police unit was in fact so out of whack

Of course you may have had a fully calibrated unit of your own unbeknown to us that you took a reference from at the time, you however did not mention this so we will discount it for now

Or, and this is plausible, you were in fact over the limit as they said (did you see the readout display?)
If you in fact saw the display and it was under the legal limit then I stand to be corrected and hope the vile creatures that caused you to forego said money and cause you such terrible angst are swiftly dealt with and learn the error of their ways by a higher power

Did you see the display? Surely you did as it is the first thing most would want to see to corrorobate the penalty about to be dished out
What was the display? If indeed it was a 7 and you are sure that the unit was incorrect there should be a full inquiry to be held in my opinion (I could knock up some placards for a walkby of the said station, if you can lend me a few quid)

We should back this fully and show a united front that as foreigners we are more than cash cows and should be treated equally as human beings, regardless of creed and colour

Or just take a <deleted> taxi......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I would have sentenced you to 2 Years jail time confiscation of bike and 100,000 Baht Fine

Drink or drug driving the same and I would have the same penalties in the Uk as well if it was possible

Its very simple fella. Gonna drink than dont drive. Taxis are cheap (yes they are)

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, bigrobtheactor said:

Okay, I wasn't that clear, I'll try again. I had about three drinks in almost as many hours, they smelled it as the last one had been finished less than half hour before - meaning I was not drunk. It's very hard for me to imagine I blew a 7 if the limit is 2. Seven means I would have been sh*t-faced. I was just about buzzed. That's all. I don't believe the device was accurate, I believe it was a set-up.

The limit is 0.2 gms for those who don't have a 5 year licence (or have had it less than 5 years), and 0.5 for experienced drivers. You were over both limits, but 0.7 does not mean you are drop down drunk at all. The limits are set low for a reason.... many think zero is a just limit. 

• Like 1

Weird, what kind of people still defend DUI? Even more weird somebody caught puts it on a public forum without feeling embarrassed at all. 

Why didn't you just refuse to pay and told the cops you wanted to go the legal way, jail and court...?? Maybe next time. MS>

22 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Wow... catch up will ya...
I'm just sat here pondering the accuracy of your internal alcohol gauge that justifies saying that the police unit was in fact so out of whack

Of course you may have had a fully calibrated unit of your own unbeknown to us that you took a reference from at the time, you however did not mention this so we will discount it for now

Or, and this is plausible, you were in fact over the limit as they said (did you see the readout display?)
If you in fact saw the display and it was under the legal limit then I stand to be corrected and hope the vile creatures that caused you to forego said money and cause you such terrible angst are swiftly dealt with and learn the error of their ways by a higher power

Did you see the display? Surely you did as it is the first thing most would want to see to corrorobate the penalty about to be dished out
What was the display? If indeed it was a 7 and you are sure that the unit was incorrect there should be a full inquiry to be held in my opinion (I could knock up some placards for a walkby of the said station, if you can lend me a few quid)

We should back this fully and show a united front that as foreigners we are more than cash cows and should be treated equally as human beings, regardless of creed and colour

Or just take a <deleted> taxi......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

asking to see the display before on on site fine is very reasonable, if your getting booked not necessary. its also usually done a second time for verification.

seeing the over the limit reading is good enough for me to pay the fine and go. i would ask for a second test to verify, if not, still pay and go.

if they dont want to show the reading or display, and i know im not drunk, then its a personal call whether to risk a station visit or pay. nobody can tell you whats right for you in that situation.

if he said one year, personally id just pay the fine and go.

i lived years in bangkok without private transpo, and its not hard once you adapt to it. driving around your opening yourself up to accidents, shakedows all kinds of bs where you dont have equal rights under the law. basically driving around with a bunch of high school students with no enforcement history of rules or dizcipline.

Edited by fhickson

• 4 months later...
On 10/23/2019 at 2:01 AM, Briggsy said:

You're 20,000 down and you will remain 20,000 down. No refunds possible here.

Get a police colonel as a good friend, so much of a good friend that you can phone him up next to you encounter a 'dragnet'. If you have been here since the eighties, you know this and don't need dudes on Thaivisa to tell you this.

Exactly. Can you recommend any one?

10 minutes ago, bigrobtheactor said:

Whining? Is that how you characterize asking for advice?

Learn from it? That's exactly what I'm trying to do. If you have something thoughtful and helpful rather than smugly and self-righteously judgmental i.e. useless, feel free, otherwise, move on.

Edited by bigrobtheactor
Left out important words.
  • Sad 1

On 10/23/2019 at 5:16 AM, RichardColeman said:

Maybe you should be grateful that they stopped you from becoming yet another dead drunk driver statistic - that has to be worth 20k in my book !

They gave me back the keys roughly a half hour after they stopped me, once I paid them so I don't see exactly what I should be "thankful" for. If I was drink and blew a "7" when they stopped me, how much lower would my blood alcohol level have been thirty minutes later? What do you think? Maybe criminals dressed in police uniforms is what passes here for law enforcement so if anything i'm grateful I can leave here any time i want. Aside from that It's doubtful I would have ended up a dead drunk because i wasn't drunk, or dead, or likely to be either on my way home, about ten minutes from where they stopped me but thank you for taking the time. I'm really looking for some useful information here, not smug self-satisfying judgement.

• Sad 1

On 10/23/2019 at 3:32 AM, BestB said:

Shake down was it not. Promise of jail was just an empty threat.

But you would have been locked up for a day or two then off to court, pay a fine of 5000-8000 and then the possibility of visa troubles.

Some claim to be able to pay 5000 and i do not believe them, 20 000 is about the going rate.

By law you allowed 2 beers to be under the limit, so 3 wine coolers would be put you over the limit

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, zhounan said:

The solution is one, everytime the same: don't drink.

yes but despite the age of this thread the OP still appears to be '<deleted>' ????????

P!$$£D. not deleted!

Edited by jastheace
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 3:05 PM, bigrobtheactor said:

I have no connections there nor do I know what rights - if any I have. I am considering not going there any more

indeed you do not have any rights in thailand, and not just because you are farang

but because this is how thailand works.

a policeman can arrest you for any stupid reason and when you will be brougth in front

of a judge there is not much you can do, unless of course if you will hire an expensive lawyer

that will cost you more.

i stopped riding bikes in thailand after a similar incident. i stopped in red light 

and just pulled the gas a bit to keep the engine working. that jumped a policeman

who stood right besides me. i did not see him. maybe he took it personally.

he told me to hand over my lisence and said i will get it only in the police station.

i asked why? what did i do wrong? and he looked very angry and said he will AREEST

me. so i went to the police station where they fined me 1000 baht, basically for nothing.

this made me wonder if there is a way to dispute all those traffic fines, and the 

answer is propably no. the only way is - stop using cars and bikes in thailand.

4 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i stopped in red light 

and just pulled the gas a bit to keep the engine working.

Once sat at the traffic lights South Pattaya/3rd junction I saw 2 boy racer Arabs on "super bikes" revving their engines vigorously waiting for the lights to go green...( showing off to the girls) out popped Mr Policeman from his booth and threw the book at them..silly sods weren't wearing helmets, t-shirts shorts and flip flops  probably no licence either ! ????

4 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

if there is a way to dispute all those traffic fines, and the 

answer is propably no.

Yes you can negotiate the fine at the police station..take a "long haired Thai dictionary" along they know how to negotiate ????

• 1 month later...