Help do I need travel insurance????

Hi guys a question for the expats I have an retirement visa that I obtained from jomtiem immigration valid till next June 2020 I'm in the UK and someone said I need an insurance for travel back to Thailand, now as I plan to return November, I'm not sure as someone said I only need if I obtain the visa outside Thailand has anyone could please confirm if this is correct, as I think from the end of October they will turn me away at the airport. 

A worried mickylongtime????

I believe I read, it's for new applicants also. So if you already have your visa, you should be fine until next renewal. I'm no expert so maybe someone can help out more with clarification. Also try to search the forum regarding the most recent updates on that visa.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Neither "jomtiem" immigration nor any other immigration office in Thailand issues a "retirement visa"

If what you have is an extension of your stay in Thailand, there is currently no mandatary requirement for an insurance for your arrival in November 2019 if you have a valid re-entry permit.

Yes I made a mistake it's a Re entry permit, sorry so I will not need the insurance on a Re entry, I wasn't sure if they would refuse me entry into Thailand. So what I have is a retirement Re entry permit. And not a retirement visa. ????

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, mickylongtime said:

Yes I made a mistake it's a Re entry permit, sorry so I will not need the insurance on a Re entry, I wasn't sure if they would refuse me entry into Thailand. So what I have is a retirement Re entry permit. And not a retirement visa. ????

You have no reason to worry. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mickylongtime said:

If you entered Thailand on Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa, you would have needed to obtain a Non-Immigrant O Visa from Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration in Jomtien receiving a 90 day permission to stay.   Many folks call this a Retirement Visa including Immigration Officers even though this type of Visa can be for other purposes.   Up to 30 days prior to the expiration of that 90 days, you would have applied for a one year extension of your permitted stay for the purpose of retirement.   Again, many refer to the extension as a "Visa" even though that is not the case.  Your Re-Entry permit was necessary to keep your current permission to stay valid and will expire on the same date as your latest extension of stay.  When you return, you should receive a permission to stay for the remainder of your current extension period.   If this is your situation, then no need to be concerned about health insurance. 

The new rules going into effect October 31 apply only to the Non-Immigrant O-A Visa you would have had to obtain from a Thai Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

If you entered Thailand on Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa, you would have needed to obtain a Non-Immigrant O Visa from Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration in Jomtien receiving a 90 day permission to stay.   Many folks call this a Retirement Visa including Immigration Officers even though this type of Visa can be for other purposes.   Up to 30 days prior to the expiration of that 90 days, you would have applied for a one year extension of your permitted stay for the purpose of retirement.   Again, many refer to the extension as a "Visa" even though that is not the case.  Your Re-Entry permit was necessary to keep your current permission to stay valid and will expire on the same date as your latest extension of stay.  When you return, you should receive a permission to stay for the remainder of your current extension period.   If this is your situation, then no need to be concerned about health insurance. 

The new rules going into effect October 31 apply only to the Non-Immigrant O-A Visa you would have had to obtain from a Thai Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.

Thanks guy and girls for the update this extention permit is called by immigration a retirement visa but there wrong as its an (extention permit) and there lies my confusion even the Thai embassy in London could not give me a answer that 100%they tell me to travel and see what happens, that's from the embassy amazing Thailand. Thanks guys. ????

15 hours ago, mickylongtime said:

You don't have an O-A Visa,so,no insurance needed. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, sometime said:

Just say you were taken ill on the flight & the flight had to be diverted to get you medical attention, the cost involved would be tremendous and it you who will be paying ????

Sorry but your giving miss information if I were to get sick on a plane the airline and not me would be responsible aviation law. 

It's all well and buying insurance if the company pay up but we know they wiggle out paying you not evertime, but thanks for your imput. 

23 hours ago, sometime said:

Just say you were taken ill on the flight & the flight had to be diverted to get you medical attention, the cost involved would be tremendous and it you who will be paying ????

You don't know what you're talking about. 

Get a travel medical at www.insubuy.com.since you are brit, you must buy before trip begins.  Get a high deductible, and you will have good protection from ruin.  Also, world nomads is good for those with nanny state care in their home countries. 

On 10/24/2019 at 12:02 PM, moontang said:

Get a travel medical at www.insubuy.com.since you are brit, you must buy before trip begins.  Get a high deductible, and you will have good protection from ruin.  Also, world nomads is good for those with nanny state care in their home countries. 

none of which automatically qualify as per immigrations new rules.. 

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What new rules?

There are none for a tourist entry.

Hi guys a question for the expats I have an retirement visa that I obtained from jomtiem immigration valid till next June 2020 I'm in the UK and someone said I need an insurance for travel back to Thailand,

he is on retirement.. 

We would assume he means extension of permission of stay, not visa, due to place of issue. There is no clarity over O or OA as the initial visa which generated his current permission of stay provided. 

It is entirely possible that this is an OA and he is looking for insurance to ensure no conflict with IOs. It 'should' be OK with a re-entry, we believe, however is that consistently handled by IOs is yet to be determined.