came to thailand today and they were shocked at the immigration border suvarnaburi

11 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

A tourist is simply a person who is traveling or visiting a place for pleasure. 

There is no time restriction based on the definition.

Why can't somebody be a tourist for 1, 2, 10 years? 

It's dinosaur thinking from a dinosaur run country

Actually, your thinking seems dinosaur.  Or naive.

Too many people over the years have come here on many exempts or Visa's and worked without the proper documentation. I bet it is still happening all day everyday.

So now, they are doing the job they have been instructed to do and asking questions.

Your definition does not meet the current 2019 instructions given to Immigration.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

the old lady was really kind of angry, you dont see anger in thai people....at least not me....

well i was singled out....

i mean staying 3 months, that is only like 3000 eur.....i saved money....will not work here etc....it is simple as that....

only massage and realx sabai di mai...

12 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

A tourist is simply a person who is traveling or visiting a place for pleasure. 

There is no time restriction based on the definition.

Why can't somebody be a tourist for 1, 2, 10 years? 

It's dinosaur thinking from a dinosaur run country

Well the UK must fit your definition because over the years I have visited many times and my Australian passport is stamped a max of six months.

Not that I would want to stay longer by the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Contrary to the beliefs of many Thailand has never been a third world country.

Try googling the definition you may be surprised as I was, particularly with one western country defined as third world.

Don't spoil their fun. They love to call it third world to make themselves feel superior - it clearly isn't a third world country. 

If they can't call it third world  then they'll have to resort to penis size comments. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

It is not a crime coming to Thailand for six months to perhaps visit a girlfriend and having a holiday.  (3) 60 day visas is offered at many embassies and i have done it in the past many times without any issues. It is also not a crime nor anyone's business earning a lot of money in a short period of time legally or perhaps just being rich. Having said that many foreign tourists and expats are in Thailand with little cash and or spend what they have very quickly and get themselves into bad situations. That is do to often bad planning on their parts and a serious lack of common sense. Don,t always blame Thais for ripping you off . No one was holding a gun to your head.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Yeh I can agree with most of that.

I suppose my main gripe is that anybody under 50 only has the Elite option and it's a complete waste of money

The fact that working digitally from Thailand is illegal is also archaic in the 21st century.

People under fifty have a few options. Visa exempt arrival, get a visa before you come etc etc.

What they don't have is the option for the same whiny 'give it to me' attitude that their parents probably fell for when they were obnoxious brats. Wake up....this is the real world.

• Like 2

Don't spoil their fun. They love to call it third world to make themselves feel superior - it clearly isn't a third world country. 

If they can't call it third world  then they'll have to resort to penis size comments. 

As per definition Thailand will be a third world country forever. Has nothing to do with wealth.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

The amount of sanctimonious expats on this site is astonishing!

The old timers hate the thought of the younger, wealthier and better looking youngsters shagging all 'their' women!

yes and catching all the clap and other such 

Seems Thais are not only killing off their own tourism industry but now effecting neighboring countries. I was reading a news story today from Cambodia, their tourism is down 30+% and many tourism-related businesses are closing. So many of those genuine tourists/travelers/flash-packers who would have made side trips from Thailand to Cambodia then back into Thailand and on to their next destination are no longer doing so due to a limit of only 2 land border crossing a year, and Thai embassies in neighboring countries refusing 2nd tourist visas. The Thais dragged the whole of SEA down with them in 1998 and may well do it again soon.

This must be the most inane post I have ever read on TVF.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

It is not a crime coming to Thailand for six months to perhaps visit a girlfriend and having a holiday.  (3) 60 day visas is offered at many embassies and i have done it in the past many times without any issues. It is also not a crime nor anyone's business earning a lot of money in a short period of time legally or perhaps just being rich. Having said that many foreign tourists and expats are in Thailand with little cash and or spend what they have very quickly and get themselves into bad situations. That is do to often bad planning on their parts and a serious lack of common sense. Don,t always blame Thais for ripping you off . No one was holding a gun to your head.

Don't confuse expats with tourists. You don't have a clue what you're talking about and you don't understand the OP. There's no 3 months tourist visas. There are 90 days visa exempts for citizens from countries with bi-lateral agreements. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Don't confuse expats with tourists. You don't have a clue what you're talking about and you don't understand the OP. There's no 3 months tourist visas. There are 90 days visa exempts for citizens from countries with bi-lateral agreements. 

You don’t understand the guy you are commenting on at all! Read his post. It’s true. 

23 hours ago, baansgr said:

Those days are long gone. Its a shame as Thailand is missing out on revenue from genuine people that can support themselves, however thousands of "tourists" in the past were and still are working illegally as teachers or bar staff on some islands, not to mention the criminal drug dealing element. Aus border force are ruthless even when people have a valid visa, check their phones etc to look for job offers, so its not just Thailand that is doing this.

Define genuine! Whenever a country has lax immigration laws that allows people who do have the funds to support themselves, the right to stay for extended periods of time, those laws get abused as the scammers and impoverished wannabes try to sneak in under the radar. The net effect is the financial bar gets raised to a very high level, laws get tightened and the crackdowns we're seeing currently take place. It's the scammers and the disingenuous who have created today's scenario and the rest of us are paying the price. 

First it was the border run crowd who used to live here full time on back to back tourist visas, then we had the much abused Ed. Visa where students still didn't know how to say hello in Thai after a year of, ahem, study! Then we had the 800k dodgers, borrowing funds to put into their account overnight just to get a visa. Next up was the hospital bill evaders, that antidote for that one has really changed things and wrecked lives. Somewhere along the line we also had the marriage visa scam, that took things to a point where Immigration now visits the marital home, wants photographs and talks to neighbours, just to prove the marriage is real and not contrived. On top of all those things we then had a layer of people working without work permits, teachers, tour guides, bar owners you name it.

So, if you're upset that Thailand has tightened its Immigration rules and now gone too far in the other direction, don't blame Thailand, blame the people responsible for the above.

Edited by saengd
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Which also refuses to acknowledge that few people now travel with the 20,000 baht they demand to see from some, but use credit cards instead. Truly bizarre, backward thinking.

But then, to comment on my own post, I guess they would have no way of knowing if the card had credit or was maxed out.

1 hour ago, saengd said:

Define genuine! Whenever a country has lax immigration laws that allows people who do have the funds to support themselves, the right to stay for extended periods of time, those laws get abused as the scammers and impoverished wannabes try to sneak in under the radar. The net effect is the financial bar gets raised to a very high level, laws get tightened and the crackdowns we're seeing currently take place. It's the scammers and the disingenuous who have created today's scenario and the rest of us are paying the price. 

First it was the border run crowd who used to live here full time on back to back tourist visas, then we had the much abused Ed. Visa where students still didn't know how to say hello in Thai after a year of, ahem, study! Then we had the 800k dodgers, borrowing funds to put into their account overnight just to get a visa. Next up was the hospital bill evaders, that antidote for that one has really changed things and wrecked lives. Somewhere along the line we also had the marriage visa scam, that took things to a point where Immigration now visits the marital home, wants photographs and talks to neighbours, just to prove the marriage is real and not contrived. On top of all those things we then had a layer of people working without work permits, teachers, tour guides, bar owners you name it.

So, if you're upset that Thailand has tightened its Immigration rules and now gone too far in the other direction, don't blame Thailand, blame the people responsible for the above.

You have pre 2014 and post 2014.

Something must have happened in 2014, but I can't quite remember what it was. 

Anyhow, things changed dramatically after that.

It's NOTHING to do with overstaying or 'gaming the system'

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

But then, to comment on my own post, I guess they would have no way of knowing if the card had credit or was maxed out.

They could get a credit card terminal installed, obtain a payment authorization for 20,000 baht without capturing the payment. That would tell them that the card, at that time, is valid and good for (at least) that amount.

You could argue that would be the Thailand 4.0 way.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Sticky W just enjoys stirring the pot and sounds like the sanctimonious old fart he labels others. Why anyone as bitter as he is would stay here is a mystery. Maybe he's not even in Thailand. 

I'm sure he'll now, once again, spew some of his vitriol in my direction.  Not worth being bothered about. He's unhappy and wants to make everyone as angry he is. Just laugh at him and move on.

Stick to the echo chamber of the Thai language forums please. That way your precious face won't get lost 

1 hour ago, Sticky Wicket said:

You have pre 2014 and post 2014.

Something must have happened in 2014, but I can't quite remember what it was. 

Anyhow, things changed dramatically after that.

It's NOTHING to do with overstaying or 'gaming the system'

You want to stay here and work digitally, get a work permit. You want to teach English and help raise the standard of English, get a teaching degree and get a work permit. If none of those things work, get an Elite visa, alternatively, wait until you're 50.. 

4 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

How do you get a work permit for working on your computer in Thailand for a UK company? Prey tell!! 

Thailand should want the younger expats, not the old grockles 

That's your problem to sort out matey, all the best.

signed, long term visa holding old grockle.

1 hour ago, saengd said:

That's your problem to sort out matey, all the best.

signed, long term visa holding old grockle.

I'm alright Jack sort of attitude!

I get an extension of stay for looking after my child so it's not an issue for me. 

I'm thinking about all the other young people who could enrich Thailand but have been hounded out