came to thailand today and they were shocked at the immigration border suvarnaburi

On 10/23/2019 at 9:55 AM, josephbloggs said:

Ok, so tell me a non dinosaur country that allows people to wander around freely as a tourist for 1, 2, 10 years?  Especially with no proof of income, no questions asked as you appear to think should be normal.

I used to go to Morocco for six months surfing....no problem, and they would give us discounts on buying gasoline. I was a surfing tourist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

What?! My wife and I did a few months. Returned to Thailand and back for another six weeks. I'm not saying you're wrong about the six months but I'd never heard that.

Ten year visa.

Can't go running around the country? US? Thats exactly what we did. Visited nearly every great national park in the west. Then came back and visited relatives in the East. Then back to visit my old friends and home in California. She never registered anywhere for anything.

I said "can't go freely wandering the country for 10 years", not "can't go freely wandering the country".  Big difference.

The definition of a tourist is for short term sight seeing and buying things.

Staying long term is a no-no, you either need elite visa or retirement visa or other long term visa.

Immigration are cracking down on tourist visa holders who are trying to stay long term and not getting the appropriate visa.

Edited by EricTh

Oh please. If I had a penny for every time an old person blamed "digital nomads" on this forum I'd be rich. A "digital nomad" could mean as little as checking your investments online. The idea of so many foreigners coming to Thailand to work their lives away on the keyboard is blown way out of proportion, and the jealously from the lifelong 9-5ers stinks.

It’s because the back packing teachers and other fake jobbers that are being clamped down are p****d because they ain’t got the brains to make a living online

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I said "can't go freely wandering the country for 10 years", not "can't go freely wandering the country".  Big difference.

But what country allows you to do that? Even one's own country you'd need to in some way check in such as renewing a driver's license, paying taxes, etc.

I don't see why with a border hop for a reasonable amount of time that a person can't spend the ten years in the US more or less. Many snowbirds from Europe spend the winters in Florida.

Students can spend years in the US without reporting to immigration. I would imagine people on research and religious visas as well.

Saying a foreigner can't legally wander around the country unchecked essentially forever is meaningless.

I'm not aware of any six month rule. Six per twelve.

Regardless, it's nothing like that here in Thailand even for married people.

China, India give a few nationalities five even ten year visas. Many countries give 90 day entry to many western countries. Thailand with 25m tourists has decided they don't need that because the people that are attracted to this are undesirable for whatever reason/s. It needs the income as much or more than the countries mentioned.

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

But what country allows you to do that? Even one's own country you'd need to in some way check in such as renewing a driver's license, paying taxes, etc.

Ok, now you're really missing my point.  I replied to someone saying Thailand was a dinosaur country for not letting tourists stay for 1, 2, or 10 years.  I said nowhere does.  Nothing to do with checking in, drivers' licenses.  Nowhere allows a tourist to stay for such long periods of time.  The OP thinks we should be allowed to without question, just stroll on in..

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I don't see why with a border hop for a reasonable amount of time that a person can't spend the ten years in the US more or less. Many snowbirds from Europe spend the winters in Florida.

Nope, a short border hop will not do.  Read up on it.  A 10 year visa is not for people to spend long periods of time in the country, it is for people who may travel there for short periods frequently.  Do as you say and you will have a problem, 100% guaranteed.

Students can spend years in the US without reporting to immigration. I would imagine people on research and religious visas as well.

What has that got to do with anything I was saying?  

Saying a foreigner can't legally wander around the country unchecked essentially forever is meaningless.

No it isn't.  They simply can't stay in the country that long on a tourist visa.  The OP was suggesting they should be and that Thailand is a dinosaur country for not allowing it.

I'm not aware of any six month rule. Six per twelve.

Well they exist, definitely in the UK.  I can't speak for everywhere, but pretty sure most countries have a similar rule for tourist visas.

Regardless, it's nothing like that here in Thailand even for married people.

You can get a multi entry 90 day marriage visa really really easily, and you can use this for 15 months.  And then after that you can get 12 month extensions as long as you meet financial requirements.  In the UK you want a spousal visa?  You need to meet financial requirements.  What's the difference?

China, India give a few nationalities five even ten year visas. Many countries give 90 day entry to many western countries. Thailand with 25m tourists has decided they don't need that because the people that are attracted to this are undesirable for whatever reason/s. It needs the income as much or more than the countries mentioned.

They don't give you 5-10 year visas that mean you can stay there that long uninterrupted.  You are allowed for short periods at a time over that visa validity.  Thailand doesn't have that, correct, but it is not like China dishes them out willy nilly.  I have had 8 Chinese business visas and last time applied for a 12 month multi entry and was rejected and they gave me a three month single entry - and my company has offices in Shanghai and Beijing.

The fact is 95% of visitors come to Thailand for a 2-3 week holiday.  They come in visa exempt.  They have a great time, they go home, they have no issues.

10 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Ok, now you're really missing my point.  I replied to someone saying Thailand was a dinosaur country for not letting tourists stay for 1, 2, or 10 years.  I said nowhere does.  Nothing to do with checking in, drivers' licenses.  Nowhere allows a tourist to stay for such long periods of time.  The OP thinks we should be allowed to without question, just stroll on in..

Nope, a short border hop will not do.  Read up on it.  A 10 year visa is not for people to spend long periods of time in the country, it is for people who may travel there for short periods frequently.  Do as you say and you will have a problem, 100% guaranteed.

What has that got to do with anything I was saying?  

No it isn't.  They simply can't stay in the country that long on a tourist visa.  The OP was suggesting they should be and that Thailand is a dinosaur country for not allowing it.

Well they exist, definitely in the UK.  I can't speak for everywhere, but pretty sure most countries have a similar rule for tourist visas.

You can get a multi entry 90 day marriage visa really really easily, and you can use this for 15 months.  And then after that you can get 12 month extensions as long as you meet financial requirements.  In the UK you want a spousal visa?  You need to meet financial requirements.  What's the difference?

They don't give you 5-10 year visas that mean you can stay there that long uninterrupted.  You are allowed for short periods at a time over that visa validity.  Thailand doesn't have that, correct, but it is not like China dishes them out willy nilly.  I have had 8 Chinese business visas and last time applied for a 12 month multi entry and was rejected and they gave me a three month single entry - and my company has offices in Shanghai and Beijing.

The fact is 95% of visitors come to Thailand for a 2-3 week holiday.  They come in visa exempt.  They have a great time, they go home, they have no issues.

We're really not seeing eye to eye.

For someone from UK you seem to know a lot about the US.

If I recall my ten year visa for India allowed me a year. Overnight border hop to Nepal. Rinse and repeat. China I think is 90 days. I'd guarantee you can come and go as much as you like. Police state so tight, they know your every move.

The reason most countries don't allow you in for a year is to prevent a visitor from working. I see leaving and returning a mild inconvenience and minor point.

I think we're done

Edited by Number 6