TG president warns airline on brink of collapse, staff must work harder

webfact

9 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Sorry, I simply don't believe that.  You had three vodka oranges and were perfectly behaved and they refused to serve you more. Totally unbelievable.  Definitely more to that story if it is true.

I fly Thai quite often, business and economy and have never come across anything like that - in fact they are very generous with the booze, even serving me a final drink - with a smile - when on final descent on my last flight (business to Jakarta).

Far from generous with me. Another time  economy from lhr to bkk they was tight with the beverage. I have no reason to lie. Just stating what happen 

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

There are a small number of you -

@Yinn @NanLaew @josephbloggs

I hope I didn't miss any others 

Who defend anything Thai, even incompetence. 

When some of these companies and government agencies finally fail, I will be looking for your posts in the forum.

Will you just quietly disappear or will you honorably accept defeat?

Calm down old guy.

i not even comment about this. Not read this thred.

I not know about it, I not care about it. Not my company.

you enjoy thai fail. Up to you. So exiting for you.

Companies fail everyday, in every country. Many airline already. 

I not work for them. I not know details. 

I fly with them before. Quite nice. I not interested.

sorry. 

Have many airline can use. No problem for Yinn.

17 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Calm down old guy.

sorry. 

No need to be nasty, and how do you know he is old, and if he is - disagree but show some respect when addressing your elders. 

56 minutes ago, tso310 said:

Taken from an aviation forum I subscribe to. 

Airline Weekly as their feature analysis this week looks at TG

Some story highlights:
o TG home market share is merely 16%. One of the lowest in world for a national carrier
o Facings intense competition from all sides - LCCs, Chinese and Indian carriers, ME3 and carriers of every stripe from around the world.
o Suffers from years of unhelpful political meddling including executive turnover
o Overstaffed and low productivity
o Overly complex fleet
o Currency management issues - only 6% of revenue USD, but 57% of cost
o Failed to devise a coordinated strategy between TG, TG Smile and its Nok Air investment
o Split Bangkok airport with domestic customer preference to use DMK
o Outmoded pricing and revenue management practices which has historically relied on bulk discounting and tour operators
o Positions itself as a premium carrier yet has a largely outdated product in a market which is primarily low-yield tourists and local VFR
o Many non-core assets and business ventures
o Experiencing traffic decline in 6 of airlines top 10 international markets

Factual and precise, thanks.

No specific mention of free RTAF old boys club jollies in First Class comfort but I guess that would come under article 3 "Suffers from years of unhelpful political meddling including executive turnover" which in my opinion is the biggest issue.

35 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Calm down old guy.

sorry. 

Have a good night 

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

If a good old Thai bash is the salve for one simply having a bad day then the legions of your cohorts must be having a thoroughly rotten century or three.

Unconvinced in Kettering.

PS. Misery loves company.

It's not beyond possibility to consistently have bad days, particularly in a place with many bad eggs. 

21 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Factual and precise, thanks.

No specific mention of free RTAF old boys club jollies in First Class comfort but I guess that would come under article 3 "Suffers from years of unhelpful political meddling including executive turnover" which in my opinion is the biggest issue.

No mention of that because it is a fallacy these days.

Agree with you on meddling being the biggest issue.  No better example than Piyasvasti Amranand being removed by Thaksin after having a hugely successful two years in charge (turning a massive loss into profit, putting in to place an aircraft acquisition plan to renew heir old fleet that they benefit from to this day).  High approval ratings all round, gone in a flash for absolutely no good reason (except we mostly know what it was).

6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

There are a small number of you -

@Yinn @NanLaew @josephbloggs

I hope I didn't miss any others 

Who defend anything Thai, even incompetence. 

When some of these companies and government agencies finally fail, I will be looking for your posts in the forum.

Will you just quietly disappear or will you honorably accept defeat?

Let's see. ????

This is forum members have the right to disagree, yinn, nanlaew ,josephbloggs, have the right to do this . If they are Thai they have a right to stand up for their country or anyone who loves this country .

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

It's not beyond possibility to consistently have bad days, particularly in a place with many bad eggs. 

bad days has nothing to do with "bad eggs" is is how you look at life ..

7 hours ago, kevvy said:

This is forum members have the right to disagree, yinn, nanlaew ,josephbloggs, have the right to do this . If they are Thai they have a right to stand up for their country or anyone who loves this country .

Nobody is debating their right to their opinions.

Read my post again.

I only wanted to know if they will fall silent when many of the bad outcomes (that the majority of TV posters predict) come to pass.

It is very common for government and country cheerleaders to suddenly fall silent for months at a time when they are proved wrong.

6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

It is very common for government and country cheerleaders to suddenly fall silent for months at a time when they are proved wrong.

It is equally common for harbingers of doom, gloom and despondency to fall silent for months at a time totally disappear only to reappear under another pseudonym when they are proved wrong.

54 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It is equally common for harbingers of doom, gloom and despondency to fall silent for months at a time totally disappear only to reappear under another pseudonym when they are proved wrong.

There are plenty of doom and  gloom merchants on here for sure

On 10/23/2019 at 8:29 AM, kevvy said:

Year 2013, Qantas plans to cut at least 1,000 jobs over the next year after reporting an expected pre-tax loss of up to $300 million in the first half of this financial year.

Mr Joyce says the cuts will include 300 jobs already being axed at its heavy maintenance facility near Geelong in Victoria.

Qantas has flagged a pre-tax loss of between $245 million and $300 million in the six months to December 31, 2013

It also expects to cut the salaries of Mr Joyce and the company's board.

It will impose a pay freeze and ban bonuses for all other executives.

Mr Joyce says the airline will do "what ever we need to do to secure the Qantas Group's future......

Go forward 6 years 2019..

The Qantas Group has achieved an Underlying Profit Before Tax of $1.30 billion and a Statutory Profit Before tax of $1.27 billion for the Financial Year 2019.

$1,250 staff travel bonus for 25,000 non-executive employees, worth $32 million

It comes down to good management.. 

You seem to be neglecting the drastic drop in the price of fuel, which hit a high in 2013.   

Good management?  Try good timing- (really sheer, dumb luck).  But, of course, I'm sure he got his bonus.

38 minutes ago, impulse said:
On 10/23/2019 at 7:29 AM, kevvy said:

Year 2013, Qantas plans to cut at least 1,000 jobs over the next year after reporting an expected pre-tax loss of up to $300 million in the first half of this financial year.

Mr Joyce says the cuts will include 300 jobs already being axed at its heavy maintenance facility near Geelong in Victoria.

Qantas has flagged a pre-tax loss of between $245 million and $300 million in the six months to December 31, 2013

It also expects to cut the salaries of Mr Joyce and the company's board.

It will impose a pay freeze and ban bonuses for all other executives.

Mr Joyce says the airline will do "what ever we need to do to secure the Qantas Group's future......

Go forward 6 years 2019..

The Qantas Group has achieved an Underlying Profit Before Tax of $1.30 billion and a Statutory Profit Before tax of $1.27 billion for the Financial Year 2019.

$1,250 staff travel bonus for 25,000 non-executive employees, worth $32 million

It comes down to good management.. 

You seem to be neglecting the drastic drop in the price of fuel, which hit a high in 2013.   

Good management?  Try good timing- (really sheer, dumb luck).  But, of course, I'm sure he got his bonus.

That's a good point. I recall reading Qantas making like gangbusters as they had unwittingly hedged on their fuel costs when they signed (I think) a 5 year contract that locked them in at lower prices for Jet A1 than their rivals.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

That's a good point. I recall reading Qantas making like gangbusters as they had unwittingly hedged on their fuel costs when they signed (I think) a 5 year contract that locked them in at lower prices for Jet A1 than their rivals.

Fuel hedging is one of the major parts of the airline business.

Southwest in the US is the Prima Donna at this, it contributes to it's stellar profitability.

And that coupled with actually getting butts on seats are the two real drivers for any airlines profitability, at least on an operational basis.

TG suffers, that it's load factor is terrible and its coupled with crippling debt.

I struggle to see how any tinkering around the edges, Oh Yeah the Catering Business, can ever get it out of the hole it's dug itself

Fuel hedging is something of a crapshoot. It’s great for budgeting purposes, but unless you’re real lucky, long term it is a cost.

We would always buy aluminum forward which allowed us to lock prices in, but the price goes down as often as it goes up.

Not sure of thai airways. But an employee of mine told me that a thai smile flight attendant shouted at her old mom when she was trying to change her seat.

The attendant said something in English which the old lady didn't understand. And the next thing is she shouted and literally pushed her to her seat.
Land of smiles. Anyone???

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/23/2019 at 4:55 AM, BestB said:

wait, let me get this right. Staff must work harder to avoid airline collapsing? Not the management should work harder? not the management should take pay cuts, but the staff should work harder????

In the land of saving face there is always someone else to blame. 

To put this is perspective.

It's all about how many asses you get on seats.

As as disclaimer I work for Delta Airlines.

As a rule of thumb, you need a load factor of 80% plus to make money.

Delta last quarter had a load factor of 89.1%

Thai Airlines, 68.5%

You can dick around with with catering, lounge access whatever.

But if you can't get those asses on planes, which in turn services horrendous debt, they're f###cked

To put this is perspective.

It's all about how many asses you get on seats.

As as disclaimer I work for Delta Airlines.

As a rule of thumb, you need a load factor of 80% plus to make money.

Delta last quarter had a load factor of 89.1%

Thai Airlines, 68.5%

You can dick around with with catering, lounge access whatever.

But if you can't get those asses on planes, which in turn services horrendous debt, they're f###cked

My first flight was on Delta in 1978.

L1011 Orlando to LAX, $688

Flying was the sh*t back then!

Archived