BANGKOK
webfact

TG president warns airline on brink of collapse, staff must work harder

1 hour ago, johnarth said:

years ago I used to fly Thai because Qantas was to dear and facing the wall what changed Qantas sacked Australia

??

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thian said:

If they collapse, will they refund the sold tickets?

The longer they trade the bigger the debt, what happens when suppliers stop supplying, (now insolvent) a serious crime in most countries.

26 minutes ago, Peterbilt said:

Partially true only.
He also used to fly BKK-MUC on a TG 744 always seated on seat 1A. The ban on smoking was waived on those flights - at least in F.
Of course the F-cabin was cleared of other pax (not belonging to him) who had to be downgraded to C/CL

According to Mr Andrew M M  TG was used for delivery on last this eventful excursion

32 minutes ago, baboon said:

That was rather my point...

Sorry , i misread you.

5 hours ago, Garybaldy said:

Far too expensive try this formula

lower prices to beat competition+get rid of dead wood management = full aircraft= Profit made.

It's hard to lower prices when the price is set in a very strong THB. Salaries, tax, etc, all paid in THB.

If the airlines collapses, it is the Thai way not to give refunds. I don’t think credit card companies will refund a purchased ticket. Who would want to buy an advance ticket on Thai with this impending doom? I actually took Thai 3 times in the last 3 years to go skiing in Hokkaido. Thai was the only non stop. It was mediocre service at best. Next time I’ll bear with the extra 2 hours trip, the change of planes in Tokyo and take JAl which will be actually cheaper.

8 minutes ago, craigieboy1973 said:

Thsi have done it yo themselves <deleted> planes high ticket prices and <deleted> service 

Good bye

The currency policy of the government is to be blamed. The strong THB is what makes the ticket prices so expensive!

Nothing Thai airways can do.

I hope the government comes to it's senses and takes drastic measures to weaken the baht again.

6 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Sorry , i misread you.

No worries.

3 minutes ago, hobz said:

The currency policy of the government is to be blamed. The strong THB is what makes the ticket prices so expensive!

Nothing Thai airways can do.

I hope the government comes to it's senses and takes drastic measures to weaken the baht again.

I did read in another forum (german frequent flyer board) that the Chinese are the ones, who are inflating the Baht.
My be somebody here has more information or can tell that this are just rumours.

I hear many say that TG need to bring in veteran CEO, not from Thailand.

Problem is, I don't think anyone worth their salt would want to touch TG. 

Trying to change a culture that's so deeply engrained and so incredibly dysfunctional?

Not going to happen, the powers that be won't let him/her...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Peterbilt said:

I did read in another forum (german frequent flyer board) that the Chinese are the ones, who are inflating the Baht.
My be somebody here has more information or can tell that this are just rumours.

It's probably true in some sense. Lots of Chinese investment = strong baht?

Many successful Thai companies are run on the basis of having a near monopoly in Thailand and this has then enabled expansion overseas.

It odes appear that large Thai companies do not like competition and unfortunately for THAI the competition in the airline industry is cutthroat and only the strong survive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Outbog interese how many US airlines have filed for chapter 11 bankcruptcy? Maybe many of then would if gone the same way if they did not have that protection.....

Are they also run for hi so's etc.....

I bet Thai wishes they had that type of protection you can get in the US.

Those in glass houses.....

I think you're missing the point.

Most countries have as part of their bankruptcy laws some form of third party oversight while a company tries to reorganize its business.

In the US it's Chapter 11, in the UK it's Administration.

In both cases a company is given time to restructure it's debt and operations. It then has to be approved by in the US the Bankruptcy Count, in the UK the Creditor.

In neither case does it prevent the company from ultimately closing the doors if they can't find a solution. 

So Yes, in these cases it provides temporary protection but it certainly isn't as you suggest a 'get out of jail free' card. In the US this temporary protection can only be a maximum of 18 months, after which if they haven't proved that they can become solvent then they cease operations. The list of US airlines which have closed after Chapter 11 is long and extensive

A case in point. 

United was a total basket case when it filed for Chapter 11 after 9-11. But the airline that emerged from bankruptcy bore no relationship to the airline that entered Chapter 11. 

People, staff may not have liked what happened, but those fundamental changes have made it one of the most profitable airlines in the world.

Without TG being forced to made those kind of hard and difficult changes it's never going to change.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This may or may not be true, but...

I stopped flying with Thai Airways a long time ago because of over-priced tickets and lousy service.

Strangely enough my last 2 trips to Thailand, I was able to snag the best prices at the time of booking on Thai Airways, for a direct flight from Sydney to BKK.

They can be cheaper than Qantas, and I'd much prefer Thai.

• Like 1