TG president warns airline on brink of collapse, staff must work harder

webfact

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This may or may not be true, but...

I stopped flying with Thai Airways a long time ago because of over-priced tickets and lousy service.

Same for me, however, recently their prices seem to have dropped. They are now more in line with Jetstar, at least on the BKK - Mel route

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes they are generally more expensive when I compare prices to Europe, strong baht not helping off-course. 

Having six A380's don't help them at all, only for prestige they got them, there can't be any money in having only 6 pcs of a very expensive aircraft and it need specialty training to fly and maintain and spare parts as well. 

3 hours ago, BestB said:

wait, let me get this right. Staff must work harder to avoid airline collapsing? Not the management should work harder? not the management should take pay cuts, but the staff should work harder????

well... he is Staff, just like the rest of them, holding him up.

Image result for staff knob

He's the knob at the top, going along for the ride

Every time the staff jolts from the latest lightning bolt; his baht gets sore 

Year 2013, Qantas plans to cut at least 1,000 jobs over the next year after reporting an expected pre-tax loss of up to $300 million in the first half of this financial year.

Mr Joyce says the cuts will include 300 jobs already being axed at its heavy maintenance facility near Geelong in Victoria.

Qantas has flagged a pre-tax loss of between $245 million and $300 million in the six months to December 31, 2013

It also expects to cut the salaries of Mr Joyce and the company's board.

It will impose a pay freeze and ban bonuses for all other executives.

Mr Joyce says the airline will do "what ever we need to do to secure the Qantas Group's future......

Go forward 6 years 2019..

The Qantas Group has achieved an Underlying Profit Before Tax of $1.30 billion and a Statutory Profit Before tax of $1.27 billion for the Financial Year 2019.

$1,250 staff travel bonus for 25,000 non-executive employees, worth $32 million

It comes down to good management.. 

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Just picked a random date to go back to UK for 2 weeks to see example cost of direct flights (november 5th to november 19th) :

EVA - £575

BA - £576

TA - £662

So, Thai as expected 15% more expensive that other airlines. That's why they are going bust - simply not competitive.

I often thought THAI were always more expensive from BKK-LHR round trip, but more competitive LHR-BKK (i.e. for bookings made in the UK), so I thought I'd take a look for the same dates:

EVA - £571

BA - £448

TA - £829

(admittedly, THAI's cheapest fare was unavailable, but I can't see it being £250 less)

6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I can't imagine anything scarier and more sad to an average Thai than hearing that he/she has to "work harder". 

The staff must feel they are in an existential crisis, and tens of thousands will likely resign en masse.

Staff: "No more sanuk sabai maibenrai???"

The staff also get very good salaries....i know one of them..and my wife does her tax paperwork.

3 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

They need outside help. The Saudi's realised this and got Tim Clark to turn the airline around but typical loss of face means they would rather go under than ask for outside expert help.

That will be Sir Tim Clark of Emirates Airline in Dubai you're referring to I presume.

Nothing to do with the Saudis.

It was less than 2 months ago this same man said the airline was not in trouble amid speculation of major problems and now they are hemoraging 36billion a year, the staff have very little to do with that and even if they worked 24 hours a day for zero wages it would not help the bottom line that much, the management of this company is negligent and complicit in this debacle and should all be sacked and replaced with competant persons.

2 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

……. taking the train up the peninsular..., stopping off at specific places of interest(to me) on the journey northwards, through Bangkok and then on to Chiang Mai and/or Nong Khai....., and various side trips are very easily done.

That sounds such fun.  Really good, imaginative travelling.

3 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I'm surprised the president would make such a statement.

Who's going to book their flight with Thai now that they may go under at any time.

Too late...i just booked my flight yesterday...????

Flying in and out of Oz in past year Thai Air was a good price deal, leaving aside the horrific budget airline experiences of planes delayed, plane loads of drunken trailer trash passengers and not even leaving etc (but that’s for another post :).

Sadly their service was poor, and after  the few times I used them paying over 3000 to 3500 for business Class tickets I stoped trying to convince myself they were good value.

Food in business class was poor, the Thai attentiveness and graciousness was missing.

Their aircraft older and without the appeal of newer planes and cabin design n decore.

sad to see this decline but it’s created from within and no adapting in a very difficult and demanding industry.

Work hard at superb service.

Invest in great catering.

Get some new planes.

maybe take a leaf out of Emirates, Sing Air, and a few very successful airlines playbook.

maybe get some western or Singaporean senior key management roles filled.

14 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

I often thought THAI were always more expensive from BKK-LHR round trip, but more competitive LHR-BKK (i.e. for bookings made in the UK), so I thought I'd take a look for the same dates:

EVA - £571

BA - £448

TA - £829

(admittedly, THAI's cheapest fare was unavailable, but I can't see it being £250 less)

I booked a TG LHR-BKK Return yesterday... with seat selection both ways...£504.

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

As laudable as this may sound, not one employee from the very top to the very bottom believes a word of it.

This a press statement, to satisfy a news cycle, but designed to change nothing.

Everyone knows TG is run as a 'hobby' for ex RTAF pilots, HisSo and friends of HiSo.

It'll never be allowed to do what happens to normal companies which are in this depth of doggy do do, in other words, become insolvent and fold.

This is tragic microcosm of Thai society, which will run and run until we've all long turned to dust 

It is a normal Thai company.

Run without foreign oversight this is an inevitability for a lot of Thai businesses and is a similar situation to every Thai company I have worked for (including multinationals) and even the ones I owned (if not strictly controlled by me personally).

Jobs for family and mates, promote and appoint people into positions without the relevant skills, experience or knowledge because they are related or mates rather than who is the best for the job, suck as much out as they can without ever giving back, sit about and never contribute if they are not strictly monitored or forced to work, passive aggressive attitudes towards upper management (foreigners in particular), rampant theft and perks taken without consent (i.e. using company equipment, vehicles etc. for personal business without permission), expect pay rises and bonuses regularly without KPI's being achieved nor even taken into consideration, expect regular trips and excursions from the company, completely ignore procedures and policies because they don't suit, business decisions being affected by superstition and nonsense like feng shui etc.

I really could go on and on, but you get the picture, and I guarantee most of these things I mentioned are rampant within Thai Airways. 

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

hope they go under ….. management and their HiSo execs can all lose face.

he should have said ' staff need to work harder at looking for a new job ' 

Khun Prayut Chan-o-cha is sure to be very upset with this news. What will potential EEC investors think......... if Thailand can't even run their own airline what can they run?

Or perhaps if they can't run an airline how are they going to run his precious EEC HS trains with an equally incompetent SRT?

Looks like a big government bail out coming up and the trough will be refilled to the brim to accommodate all the freeloaders. In the meantime the grunts can work harder and longer.

Typical rich executives blaming employees for the executives own inept management of the company. Expect employees to somehow save the airline while executives bonuses in the millions continue to be paid out. Pathetic.

2 hours ago, Cadbury said:

This will surely bring shame and severe loss of face to the Country and the government.

The writing has been on the wall for years and it is only now they realise and admit to it. Had they talked to Blind Freddy earlier he could have told them what was likely to happen. 

They talk about the staff working harder but what about those who don't work at all but just suck up fat salaries because of who they are, what they once were and who they are related to.

And the hundreds of 'entitled' leeches who get free first, business and economy tickets for self and for all of family. In past years Thai has published the annual value of these tickets, always in the hundreds of millions of Baht.

6 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Khun Prayut Chan-o-cha is sure to be very upset with this news. What will potential EEC investors think......... if Thailand can't even run their own airline what can they run?

Or perhaps if they can't run an airline how are they going to run his precious EEC HS trains with an equally incompetent SRT?

Looks like a big government bail out coming up and the trough will be refilled to the brim to accommodate all the freeloaders. In the meantime the grunts can work harder and longer.

But it's all OK because their catering division and their Puff and Pie shops will bail them out (yesterday's BP and on here on TV yesterday).

Close the doors. 

4 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

They can't run anything.

Thailand is a giant diddle, and eventually folk work it out. Just like this airline is having its pants pulled down now.

No foreigners to point the finger at and blame here, but note they still try to blame Brexit etc. Ha!

But the show must and will go on because Thailand is the most unequal society in the World, and the little folk will pay for it. They will be forced to. They always are. 

4 hours ago, BestB said:

wait, let me get this right. Staff must work harder to avoid airline collapsing? Not the management should work harder? not the management should take pay cuts, but the staff should work harder????

'See this BMW, son? Now if you work hard and apply yourself, I can get another one next year...'

Our flights to Thailand this xmas period.

EVA business class $2900 AUD.  New 787-10 with flat bed
Thai business class $4400 AUD.  Old 777 with angled seats

Yes . EVA is not direct. But we get to stopover in Taipei on the way home for a couple of days and discover a city that we haven't been to before. And $1500 per ticket is a massive difference
I have been flying with EVA for 12 years or so. Just booked a trip to UK for next year. They have generous FF milage accruals and plenty of free baggage (well not free but no extra charge) and service has always been excellent. I did comparison shop and even the big airlines websites and orbitz etc. were twice as much or more for the same trip.Wish they were using the 787 on my trip though, would love to see and experience it.

Sent from my SM-A205F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived