Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

TG president warns airline on brink of collapse, staff must work harder

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, kevvy said:

This is forum members have the right to disagree, yinn, nanlaew ,josephbloggs, have the right to do this . If they are Thai they have a right to stand up for their country or anyone who loves this country .

Nobody is debating their right to their opinions.

Read my post again.

I only wanted to know if they will fall silent when many of the bad outcomes (that the majority of TV posters predict) come to pass.

It is very common for government and country cheerleaders to suddenly fall silent for months at a time when they are proved wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Telling staff to “work harder “. That will save the airline ? that’s an example of the leadership and management! A pathetic abysmal failure ! Clueless


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mas4568 said:

Thai Airways make even Air Asia look good.

 

 

Oh no they can never look good

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

It is very common for government and country cheerleaders to suddenly fall silent for months at a time when they are proved wrong.

It is equally common for harbingers of doom, gloom and despondency to fall silent for months at a time totally disappear only to reappear under another pseudonym when they are proved wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It is equally common for harbingers of doom, gloom and despondency to fall silent for months at a time totally disappear only to reappear under another pseudonym when they are proved wrong.

There are plenty of doom and  gloom merchants on here for sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2019 at 8:29 AM, kevvy said:

 

Year 2013, Qantas plans to cut at least 1,000 jobs over the next year after reporting an expected pre-tax loss of up to $300 million in the first half of this financial year.

Mr Joyce says the cuts will include 300 jobs already being axed at its heavy maintenance facility near Geelong in Victoria.
 

Qantas has flagged a pre-tax loss of between $245 million and $300 million in the six months to December 31, 2013

It also expects to cut the salaries of Mr Joyce and the company's board.

It will impose a pay freeze and ban bonuses for all other executives.

Mr Joyce says the airline will do "what ever we need to do to secure the Qantas Group's future......

Go forward 6 years 2019..

The Qantas Group has achieved an Underlying Profit Before Tax of $1.30 billion and a Statutory Profit Before tax of $1.27 billion for the Financial Year 2019.

$1,250 staff travel bonus for 25,000 non-executive employees, worth $32 million

 It comes down to good management.. 

 

You seem to be neglecting the drastic drop in the price of fuel, which hit a high in 2013.   

 

Good management?  Try good timing- (really sheer, dumb luck).  But, of course, I'm sure he got his bonus.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, impulse said:
On 10/23/2019 at 7:29 AM, kevvy said:

 

Year 2013, Qantas plans to cut at least 1,000 jobs over the next year after reporting an expected pre-tax loss of up to $300 million in the first half of this financial year.

Mr Joyce says the cuts will include 300 jobs already being axed at its heavy maintenance facility near Geelong in Victoria.
 

Qantas has flagged a pre-tax loss of between $245 million and $300 million in the six months to December 31, 2013

It also expects to cut the salaries of Mr Joyce and the company's board.

It will impose a pay freeze and ban bonuses for all other executives.

Mr Joyce says the airline will do "what ever we need to do to secure the Qantas Group's future......

Go forward 6 years 2019..

The Qantas Group has achieved an Underlying Profit Before Tax of $1.30 billion and a Statutory Profit Before tax of $1.27 billion for the Financial Year 2019.

$1,250 staff travel bonus for 25,000 non-executive employees, worth $32 million

 It comes down to good management.. 

 

You seem to be neglecting the drastic drop in the price of fuel, which hit a high in 2013.   

 

Good management?  Try good timing- (really sheer, dumb luck).  But, of course, I'm sure he got his bonus.

That's a good point. I recall reading Qantas making like gangbusters as they had unwittingly hedged on their fuel costs when they signed (I think) a 5 year contract that locked them in at lower prices for Jet A1 than their rivals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

That's a good point. I recall reading Qantas making like gangbusters as they had unwittingly hedged on their fuel costs when they signed (I think) a 5 year contract that locked them in at lower prices for Jet A1 than their rivals.

Fuel hedging is one of the major parts of the airline business.

 

Southwest in the US is the Prima Donna at this, it contributes to it's stellar profitability.

 

And that coupled with actually getting butts on seats are the two real drivers for any airlines profitability, at least on an operational basis.

 

TG suffers, that it's load factor is terrible and its coupled with crippling debt.

I struggle to see how any tinkering around the edges, Oh Yeah the Catering Business, can ever get it out of the hole it's dug itself

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuel hedging is something of a crapshoot. It’s great for budgeting purposes, but unless you’re real lucky, long term it is a cost.

 

We would always buy aluminum forward which allowed us to lock prices in, but the price goes down as often as it goes up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's collapsing perhaps is expected usual million baht annual bonuses (we hope).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure of thai airways. But an employee of mine told me that a thai smile flight attendant shouted at her old mom when she was trying to change her seat.

The attendant said something in English which the old lady didn't understand. And the next thing is she shouted and literally pushed her to her seat.
Land of smiles. Anyone???

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2019 at 4:55 AM, BestB said:

wait, let me get this right. Staff must work harder to avoid airline collapsing? Not the management should work harder? not the management should take pay cuts, but the staff should work harder😂

In the land of saving face there is always someone else to blame. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People who don't live in US may care. Contrary to your belief, USA is not the center of the world. 1 among 200 countries.

Do they even fly to the US anymore? Don't think so. So, who cares.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To put this is perspective.

 

It's all about how many asses you get on seats.

 

As as disclaimer I work for Delta Airlines.

 

As a rule of thumb, you need a load factor of 80% plus to make money.

 

Delta last quarter had a load factor of 89.1%

 

Thai Airlines, 68.5%

 

You can dick around with with catering, lounge access whatever.

 

But if you can't get those asses on planes, which in turn services horrendous debt, they're f###cked

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...