TG president warns airline on brink of collapse, staff must work harder

webfact

Just now, MadMac said:

Should be allowed to go bankrupt, replace all the senior management and incapable staff and reemerge as a new airline. That's what happend with Swissair a few years ago.

Malaysia AIrlines is having the similar dilemma. The Malaysian federal have been subsi-dying a ruined airline company for the past twenty over years with losses. The president and the director keep changing and getting the best paid position.....lol.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can a nationalised airline go bust? It costs the country money to run it that is all. If the government Is no longer prepared to subsidise Thai then they will close it down and buy free tickets for those entitled to them from a Middle East airlines. 

22 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

I hope they don't. There are thousands of hard-working cabin crew and ground staff that would lose their jobs.

I also know people who have worked in Thai for over twenty years and wonder if their money which was put into some saving scheme associated with the airline is safe. The brilliant or was it desperate, decision made to save money by paying overseas allowances In Thai Baht instead of Euros and GBP seems to be costing the company more due to the strength of the Baht.  

1 hour ago, jewell49 said:

that is hardly anything to do with this article, your rant is ridiculous and i an sick of you sheep following any rubbish you see written on the destruction of the planet

couldnt agree with you more 

5 hours ago, BestB said:

wait, let me get this right. Staff must work harder to avoid airline collapsing? Not the management should work harder? not the management should take pay cuts, but the staff should work harder????

while smart airlines got together and created global code sharing - Thailand refused to operate with foreigners and were left isolated, executives were too busy stuffing money into their corrupt greedy pockets to care...……………………...another claimed regional hub that never materialized 

anyone that thinks this country is on a roll needs to study very carefully the signs that they don't really cheer much about - the biggest one of late is household debt and more importantly the ability to keep up the payments 

I am genuinely worried about my deposits in Thai banks right now and don't say it's protected...….on paper maybe - good luck trying to make a claim

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This may or may not be true, but...

I stopped flying with Thai Airways a long time ago because of over-priced tickets and lousy service.

Blame the staff, easy cop out, how can they work harder, they welcome you on board serve you with a smile what else can they do, my suggestion is to stop this nonsense of just about  everybody travelling for free and increasing the price of Joe public to pay for them , yes Thai you are doomed but don't blame the staff, i searched for prices next March back to Uk with a return in April, direct Eva are 28% cheaper and bigger baggage, if you suffer a 1 stop the price can be 60% lower than Thai, Wow when this hits the front pages it will do nothing to help there seat sales other than give more room for freebies.

2 minutes ago, alan grice said:

Its the age old Thai Problem.You become a CEO by being born in the right Bed, not by ability.They never let new blood get in.!.⚖️

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

So Thailand now has the monopoly on corporate sycophancy???!!!

Oh Lord please say it isn't so!

1 minute ago, smedly said:

while smart airlines got together and created global code sharing - Thailand refused to operate with foreigners and were left isolated, executives were too busy stuffing money into their corrupt greedy pockets to care...……………………...another claimed regional hub that never materialized

I thought they were Star Alliance / Cartel?

Had to laugh the other day. My son (who works for a low-cost airline) was flying to the south of Thailand in a narrow-bodied two-engine jet. In front of him was a 21-year old TG Boeing 747 going from Bangkok to Phuket. We were laughing at how ridiculous that was! Summed up TG's inability to run an efficient airline.

I stopped flying with Thai Airways a long time ago because of over-priced tickets and lousy service.

I did the same for, yes, certainly over rated price in many occurrences but also crazy pilling conditions to reach or keep gold level for frequent traveler, to the point I've never been able to enjoy 200,000 + miles accumulated in few years for which my only concern was fast track checking and immigration 

5 hours ago, Creasy said:

Our flights to Thailand this xmas period.

EVA business class $2900 AUD.  New 787-10 with flat bed

Thai business class $4400 AUD.  Old 777 with angled seats

Yes . EVA is not direct. But we get to stopover in Taipei on the way home for a couple of days and discover a city that we haven't been to before. And $1500 per ticket is a massive difference

Taipei is a fantastic destination. Enjoy!

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Airways International president Sumeth Damronchaitham has admitted, for the first time, that the national flag carrier is in deep financial crisis, to the extent that it may have to fold unless all staff members unite to work harder

I would take offence at that statement.. it should read: ALL DIRECTORS.

6 hours ago, BestB said:

wait, let me get this right. Staff must work harder to avoid airline collapsing? Not the management should work harder? not the management should take pay cuts, but the staff should work harder????

Well look we have found the problem, bad management, if any, Thai Airways has gone the same way as the country over the last 10 - 15 years, used to be magic now tragic.

16 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I would take offence at that statement.. it should read: ALL DIRECTORS.

There's also many 'managers' who have no management responsibilities and no reporting staff, but they get a managers salary and benefits.

Note: they DON'T get this perk because of displayed superior performance nor displayed higher levels of capability. They can be lazy poor performers but still get this perk because of long service.

Further, some years back the director responsible for HR told me at a seminar they have no annual or other personal performance review for any staff. He continued 'we don't need to do that because many of our staff have a masters degree'.

I asked 'are you saying that a masters degree automatically means guaranteed high performance?'  He looked at me with surprise and said 'yes, of course'.

5 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

As laudable as this may sound, not one employee from the very top to the very bottom believes a word of it.

This a press statement, to satisfy a news cycle, but designed to change nothing.

Everyone knows TG is run as a 'hobby' for ex RTAF pilots, HisSo and friends of HiSo.

It'll never be allowed to do what happens to normal companies which are in this depth of doggy do do, in other words, become insolvent and fold.

This is tragic microcosm of Thai society, which will run and run until we've all long turned to dust 

Outbog interese how many US airlines have filed for chapter 11 bankcruptcy? Maybe many of then would if gone the same way if they did not have that protection.....

Are they also run for hi so's etc.....

I bet Thai wishes they had that type of protection you can get in the US.

Those in glass houses.....

10 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Further, some years back the director responsible for HR told me at a seminar they have no annual or other personal performance review for any staff. He continued 'we don't need to do that because many of our staff have a masters degree'.

10 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I asked 'are you saying that a masters degree automatically means guaranteed high performance?'  He looked at me with surprise and said 'yes, of course'.

You've got it in a nutshell.... 

Thai airline is not alone in the "I've got a masters degree" mentality as if it's something credible in the "no-fail" University system!

6 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

They could start by not giving freebies to all and sundry in the ruling class. This has not come up in any discussion of how to save the airline by the director or politicians.

What is the source for your claim about "freebies to all and sundry?" Bar stool talk, I think, with no facts to actually back it up. People like to spout it often, but does anyone have any facts to support the claim?

The airline's problem is and always has been bad management, with no foreign input to teach those who have absolutely zero experience or knowledge of how to run an airline how to do it. That in turn has resulted in them being slow in purchasing new planes and taking no notice at all of the innovations that more progressive airlines have undertaken. Added to that is their fares are often (not always) noncompetitive, sometimes by a wide margin, and you have a perfect recipe for failure.

It won't collapse its the national carrier. Havnt used Thai for over a decade, overpriced second rate airline imo. 

Anyone hear about the latest catastrophic engine failure on takeoff the other day ? 

Several flight monitoring blogs, including Air LiveFlyerTalk, and Simply Flying, have reported that a Thai Air Boeing 777-300ER suffered an "uncontained failure" of its left engine while taking off at Suvarnabhumi Airport, also known as Bangkok Airport (BKK). 

The incident occurred on Sunday afternoon on runway 01L at BKK. 

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/thai-airways-boeing-777-300-suffers-uncontained-engine-failure-bangkok

6 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Yes I've said the same on another thread.

Their margin aspirations are far too high. I fly a mix of Thai and Emirates, I prefer Thai as it's direct and their ground services are better even though Emirates on board services beats them hands down. Thai are generally £800-1000 more expensive than Emirates in F and on occasions I'm the only passenger in the cabin. No wonder!!

They need outside help. The Saudi's realised this and got Tim Clark to turn the airline around but typical loss of face means they would rather go under than ask for outside expert help.

I made a similar statement in another thread about them getting in an executive with a proven track record like Tim Clark. Unfortunately they rather burn to the ground financially than do that.

Ditto ...

6 hours ago, BestB said:

"Do as I say not as I do! I'm too important to work any harder."

Archived