TG president warns airline on brink of collapse, staff must work harder

webfact

Well summerised in thethaiger.com August 21st 2019

Most people in aviation circles agree on the main challenges for the national carrier.

• Entrenched nepotism and cronyism
• Top heavy management
• Contracts for older staff which do not reflect aviation business realities in 2019
• Uncompetitive pricing

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve been coming and going each year for 12 years now, I’m also married to a lovely Thai woman.

at the beginning I used bot BA AND Thai till I discovered EvaAir.

no comparison in terms of service and price. ( although Eva prices are catching up and occasionally BA is the same)

plus, Thai doesn’t have Premium Eco. Eva does.

also, how about lowering the the salaries the directors enjoy?

it would be a start....

An real insight into this persons intelligence if ever there was one....blaming the staff and not recommending management faults is so typical of government officials...

The guys is totally unsuitable to manage this airline

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I once called and asked to speak to their customer relations department. I was told they don't have one.

I agree. I once travelled to Thailand on another airline to complain about a lack of refund and it took my Thai wife shouting at them and me threatening them to get them to help. We were in the head office in Bangkok for an hour or 2. Unfortunately is a feature of the national character that no one will take responsibility for any blame under any circumstances. All long timers here have encountered it many times.

58 minutes ago, smedly said:

while smart airlines got together and created global code sharing - Thailand refused to operate with foreigners and were left isolated, executives were too busy stuffing money into their corrupt greedy pockets to care...……………………...another claimed regional hub that never materialized 

Er......you do realise that Thai Airways was one of the five original founder members of Star Alliance don't you?  And that Star alliance was the first of the three major alliances. 

Kind of makes your anti-foreigner nonsense look a little ignorant if you don't mind me saying.

28 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

You've got it in a nutshell.... 

Thai airline is not alone in the "I've got a masters degree" mentality as if it's something credible in the "no-fail" University system!

Masters degree but  no forward thinking or common-sense, i will carry on without a degree thank you .

I don't fully understand this! I have flown with Thai Airways several Times and have found all the staff very very plesent. I know management likes to blame employees for their failurs! Maybe time to change out all management with people that fully understand the economics of the 21st century not those clinging onto their desks! Have to make a sweeping change and it is NOT with staff!!!!!

32 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What is the source for your claim about "freebies to all and sundry?" Bar stool talk, I think, with no facts to actually back it up. People like to spout it often, but does anyone have any facts to support the claim?

You beat me to it.  You won't get any facts from anyone either.

They stopped that free flights for politicians stuff years ago.

I was flying back from Dubai on THAI several years ago, and a fight started over someone pressing the back of the seat in front of him. Every member of the flight crew, who should have stepped in and dealt with it, vanished behind curtains. Makes you wonder how they would be in an emergency.

It's interesting that THAI flies between Bangkok and Dubai once a day, while Emirates last time I checked flies six flights a day, including a number of A380s. Kind of sums things up, really.

7 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's interesting that THAI flies between Bangkok and Dubai once a day, while Emirates last time I checked flies six flights a day, including a number of A380s. Kind of sums things up, really.

Not really a fair comparison.  The majority of people on those Emirates flights are connecting to other Emirates destinations.

If Emirates only catered for the people who actually wanted to go to Dubai I dare say they might only need one flight a day too.

31 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Er......you do realise that Thai Airways was one of the five original founder members of Star Alliance don't you?  And that Star alliance was the first of the three major alliances. 

Kind of makes your anti-foreigner nonsense look a little ignorant if you don't mind me saying.

You do realize that many Thai companies were originally hand-held by Farang and Japanese companies? And, only when the Thais assumed full control, then the business would be ruined. 

Kind of makes your incessant defending if Thai incompetence seem silly. 

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_KR/about_thai/company_profile/history.page

"Thai Airways International was founded in 1960 as a joint venture between Thailand's domestic carrier, Thai Airways Company (TAC) and Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS) with the Scandinavian carrier initially providing a 30% share capital of two million Baht."

"SAS also provided operations, managerial and marketing expertise, with training assistance aiming at building a fully independent national airline within the shortest possible time."

"Thai nationals, through training and experience, were gradually able to assume full managerial responsibility and the number of expatriate staff duly reduced until, in 1987, expatriates accounted for less than one percent of staff based in Thailand."

4 hours ago, WeekendRaider said:

only one person will mention that this entire industry is barely economic and requires endless public sector support in all kinds of indirect ways.  and that is all notwithstanding that this sector provides everyone else of the reason.... a quite rational one in a topic otherwise only attracting rants and emotions on both ends of the debate.... that each passenger "flying" one kilometer thru our atmosphere is engaged in a horrific 'tragedy of the commons' emitting almost 300 grams of carbon as a gas molecule so powerful it is consumed in tons of aviation fuel, but took tens of millions of years to be sequestered from that atmosphere... and physics, the geophysical record of Earth as well as the disappearance of the Arctic and many many other indicators make absolute fact... air travel and tourism is not just something we should be shaming and until we do we will never make serious mitigation in time or to scale to save life on the planet. every other sector uses air travel to say 'why focus on my industry as long as aviation keeps getting sweat deals?'

the only defense is that tourism is a public good.  okay, then let's spell that out as a priority of all of society.  because it surely is a very high priority given what we will reap upon all of human civilization and life on Earth beginning with plants to sustain it.

rant?  

yeah, in peer reviewed science journals.  with citations, and analysis for everyone to examine and if they can... dispute. but no one does nor can.  no one.  

any 'rant' accusation is just more of the same denial.  at some point denial doesn't work anymore.  285 grams versus 14 for a train passenger.  rescue the train project, let Thai Airways rescue itself.

green house gases are not 'pollution' and yes... they are not "man made"... they were plant made over tens of millions of years (we lived in trees 8 mya) but released by us in a few decades... and the pollution part is actually a negative forcing that keeps us cool.  the IPCC forcings chart that should always be front and center.  but most folks don't even seem to even know anything about it at all... yet if a baby cries too much on an airplane it sometimes has made "news"... any kind of thing involving air travel is huge news except what it is reaping. it is not about "air shaming"... it is about doing much more than some fake CORSIA offsets in 2027. yes, there are 7,800 million of us.... but that only brings to mind that only a few hundred million of us have ever "flown" even once........ yet.

I do hope you've contacted Greta and told her to stop flying around the world.

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

Not really a fair comparison.  The majority of people on those Emirates flights are connecting to other Emirates destinations.

If Emirates only catered for the people who actually wanted to go to Dubai I dare say they might only need one flight a day too.

True, what surprises me is 2 weeks ago it was lets build a new airport this week it is the national carrier going belly up, don't believe any if it, bring in an experienced CEO, ( yes you will have to lose  a bit of face)  who will immediately do away with all the freebies and bring in new experienced people and watch this best advert for Thailand Rise and shine, speaking of which time to wake up and stop dreaming.

1 minute ago, Fex Bluse said:

You do realize that many Thai companies were originally hand-held by Farang and Japanese companies? And, only when the Thais assumed full control, then the business would be ruined. 

Kind of makes your incessant defending if Thai incompetence seem silly. 

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_KR/about_thai/company_profile/history.page

I'm well aware of the history of TG, but thanks for Googling it for me anyway.

Not sure where I'm defending "Thai incompetence" by pointing out someone's comment that Thai refused to cooperate with foreigners, would not do code shares because they are anti foreigner, executives stuffing money in their pocket, etc etc, was completely and utterly wrong.  Thai were one of the five pioneers of organised airline cooperation and code sharing.  Is that so hard to comprehend?  That was the point I was responding to and correcting.

But yeah, you please carry on jumping in to threads to say anything successful in Thailand is because of foreigners and Thais are incompetent.  You've probably got that tattooed across your chest.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

You've got it in a nutshell.... 

Thai airline is not alone in the "I've got a masters degree" mentality as if it's something credible in the "no-fail" University system!

Totally agree with this, my wife just commented that its exactly the same in the education system here too

Archived