TG president warns airline on brink of collapse, staff must work harder

webfact

The staff is responsible for saving the airline, then? I do not disagree with asking the staff to pick up some slack here and there but, how about cutting down, or dare I say, eliminate - the corruption and nepotism that has festering at the top? Yes, you and your lot, and whoever has their fat stubby fingers, hands and arms in the trough.

Smooth as silk? Creased like cheap overnight linen, more like.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps some training in customer service, like Thai once had could help

Surely the Board of Management needs to take responsibility for financial situation, which began a long time ago to leak money?

I thought I read last year that Thailand was to become a "centre of excellence" for aviation, and was going to be servicing planes and doing the safety checks and maintenance for all airlines??

Interesting proposition when their own planes need replacing and upgrades?

7 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

They could start by not giving freebies to all and sundry in the ruling class. This has not come up in any discussion of how to save the airline by the director or politicians.

This. First Class on Thai has always been full of stiff-haired old dinosaurs flying free to shopping destinations around the world. And certain people ordering Thai food takeouts from London. Great business model. *golf clap*

7 hours ago, BestB said:

wait, let me get this right. Staff must work harder to avoid airline collapsing? Not the management should work harder? not the management should take pay cuts, but the staff should work harder????

This is how it is done in Thailand, staff are to blame.

I think it's unanimous on thought that it isn't the workers but it is the top heavy blood suckers that need to leave. If they have any love for the airline and their country they would bow out and let it live. I actually think that the staff are great and work very hard.

7 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Yes I've said the same on another thread.

Their margin aspirations are far too high. I fly a mix of Thai and Emirates, I prefer Thai as it's direct and their ground services are better even though Emirates on board services beats them hands down. Thai are generally £800-1000 more expensive than Emirates in F and on occasions I'm the only passenger in the cabin. No wonder!!

They need outside help. The Saudi's realised this and got Tim Clark to turn the airline around but typical loss of face means they would rather go under than ask for outside expert help.

Thai know best what Thai need, so get used to it.

An off topic post and a reply to it have been removed.

This thread is about the financial health of Thai Airways, not global warming and environmental issues.

A comment on moderation has also been removed. Please do not post saying the article is, "fake news".

Every other Asian Flag Carrier has drastically changed its operating standards in order to bring it “SEAT MILE PER COST” down to be competitive.

Thai employees seem to think they are immune to competition and holding steady traditional standards.   When their Golden Goose quits laying eggs, they will be scrambling for any job they can get.

look at the history of what happened to the NOK pilots that left in mass several years ago and went to New Gen.  took about two years before the brought New Gen to near collapse.

2 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I think it's unanimous on thought that it isn't the workers but it is the top heavy blood suckers that need to leave. If they have any love for the airline and their country they would bow out and let it live. I actually think that the staff are great and work very hard.

It quite clearly is the company as a whole. Years of mismanagment have allowed it to get to this stage. No CEO can change it. Its like a giant mafia organization with whole families employed there. They all look out for each other and will prevent any change. Esswntially it should be allowed to go bankrupt.

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Good point. A self-fulfilling prophecy.

Every time I look at the pricing of flights between Bangkok and Chiang Mai, I wonder why Thai even bothers, as their fares are so uncompetitive on their home turf.

I used to fly them from BKK to Oz return, but haven't touched them in years as Jetstar has a direct flight from Phuket to Sydney and the cost to fly to Phuket is cheap from where we live.

Jetstar are half the price, i.e. a return flight this month in October with 20kg luggage was $560, no meals or entertainment in that price, but cut lunch and iPad sorted that, and when I enquired with Thai, it was double that, now for a family of 6, one has to seriously look at cutting costs.

Thai airways has a bigger plane and more is comfortable for the 9 hour flight, but my budget can only stretch so far with 6 of us, because on top of the falling Oz $, you have the accommodation, car rental, increased insurance waiver, petrol, travel insurance, food and entertainment to fork out for.

Holidays abroad with Thai airways has become a no go zone, I mean when they have had specials, it was like $1,000AUS when I last enquired, so if they do not drop their pants, they will go under eventually as competition will take over as it is.  For travellers such as myself, I would fly them for $750-$800 as I have done in the past, but $1,000, $1,200, it's a no brainer if we have a large family, because value for money is what we all look for. 

4 hours ago, jewell49 said:

It was less than 2 months ago this same man said the airline was not in trouble amid speculation of major problems and now they are hemoraging 36billion a year, the staff have very little to do with that and even if they worked 24 hours a day for zero wages it would not help the bottom line that much, the management of this company is negligent and complicit in this debacle and should all be sacked and replaced with competant persons.

Preferably with someone with overseas airline experience as another retired Thai Air force General would be the death nell.

4 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

It is a normal Thai company.

Run without foreign oversight this is an inevitability for a lot of Thai businesses and is a similar situation to every Thai company I have worked for (including multinationals) and even the ones I owned (if not strictly controlled by me personally).

Jobs for family and mates, promote and appoint people into positions without the relevant skills, experience or knowledge because they are related or mates rather than who is the best for the job, suck as much out as they can without ever giving back, sit about and never contribute if they are not strictly monitored or forced to work, passive aggressive attitudes towards upper management (foreigners in particular), rampant theft and perks taken without consent (i.e. using company equipment, vehicles etc. for personal business without permission), expect pay rises and bonuses regularly without KPI's being achieved nor even taken into consideration, expect regular trips and excursions from the company, completely ignore procedures and policies because they don't suit, business decisions being affected by superstition and nonsense like feng shui etc.

I really could go on and on, but you get the picture, and I guarantee most of these things I mentioned are rampant within Thai Airways. 

With your knowledge and experience, you have just confirmed what have always suspected.

8 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I'm surprised the president would make such a statement.

Who's going to book their flight with Thai now that they may go under at any time.

exactly was just thinking of booking them for March. Price was good too, Aud680 return.

Will pay with credit card and can get money back if they collapes.

3 hours ago, baboon said:

A post too preposterous not to contain a degree of truth to it...

I would'nt be too sure about that. They are about to demand health insurance on one particular visa, and guess what !  they are nominating Thai insurance companies to use !

"we will all be dead if the ship sinks.”

If the worst (best?) were to happen, I seriously doubt the senior THAI board members and execs like the guy in the OP article will find themselves begging on the streets of BKK...

And, a cynic (realist) might possibly suggest that they've probably already padded their nests quite well during past years of service, providing plenty of cushion for turbulent times ahead.

5 hours ago, Thaifly88 said:

Same for me, however, recently their prices seem to have dropped. They are now more in line with Jetstar, at least on the BKK - Mel route

I don't know about Melbourne to BKK, but the flights from Perth to BKK

are quiet reasonable, and Thai is the only airline who flies from Perth

to BKK nonstop. Yes I can fly with budged airlines for about $100 less

and stop and change planes either Singapore or KL, and pay extra for

my baggage and food and drinks,at the end of the day it works out

the same price.

8 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I'm surprised the president would make such a statement.

Who's going to book their flight with Thai now that they may go under at any time.

There is no immediate problem, it is a state owned carrier. They have to realize they need to cut in there domestic flights where they are seeing the major drops in revenue and focus on international flights that do bring in the tourists and the tourist dollar. 

I think that was the bottomline he actually was talking about. 

20 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

He who cannot be named uses his own plane. Or at least, one belonging to the air force. He flies it too, clever lad.

Partially true only.
He also used to fly BKK-MUC on a TG 744 always seated on seat 1A. The ban on smoking was waived on those flights - at least in F.
Of course the F-cabin was cleared of other pax (not belonging to him) who had to be downgraded to C/CL

23 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

I would'nt be too sure about that. They are about to demand health insurance on one particular visa, and guess what !  they are nominating Thai insurance companies to use !

That was rather my point...

57 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

I'm surprised their best friends, the PRC Chinese are not helping them. 

Hmmmmmmm.....
One form of help could be an investment of the Chinese govt into TG to get them out of dept. A 49% share.....

That would increase the dependency on China even more. May be the clever Chinese wait just a bit longer until they make this proposal to Gen. Cha-Cha.......

Not easy for me to understand why a top manager says "we will go bankrupt eventually". It's just a matter of days (it has to reach her facebook groups) my wife will tell me not to book Thai next time. And even if she has strange ideas sometimes, this time she will be 100% right.

Archived