TG president warns airline on brink of collapse, staff must work harder

webfact

On 10/23/2019 at 1:36 PM, smedly said:

put someone in charge that can do the job - preferably not Thai

sack all senior executives and replace them with competent people that can do the job, would only need 1/3 of what they have - preferably not Thai

investigate everyone sacked for unusual wealth and jail them

It works for Cathay Pacific...

Overseas appointment of CEO.

They have been successful for years. 

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Interesting you should say that.

Malaysian Airlines are having similar economic problems to Thai Airways and only yesterday it was news they had shortlisted 4 potential partners for a strategic partnership with MAS. 

Perhaps Thai should look at doing the same but I suspect there are too many corrupt and unproductive skeletons in the Thai Airways cupboard for any potential partner to be interested. Or there even could be a serious risk for Thai Airways to have them exposed.

Better perhaps for their sake to let them die a silent death. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/malaysia-shortlists-4-potential-strategic-partners-for-flag-carrier-malaysia-airlines

MAS has been in financial trouble for many years, their flight schedules are continuously being "revamped" hard to keep up with them.

Wonder how much previous PM ripped out of them along the way.

Surely the president of the Board needs to be removed for damaging Thailand's reputation, he has basically sounded the death knell for TG.

No responsible Board member anywhere else in the world would make such a pronouncement, and still be in the office the next day.

23 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Surely the president of the Board needs to be removed for damaging Thailand's reputation, he has basically sounded the death knell for TG.

No responsible Board member anywhere else in the world would make such a pronouncement, and still be in the office the next day.

The previous half-dozen or so president's never, ever told it like it is and you can see where that got them, can't you?

On 10/23/2019 at 9:36 AM, smedly said:

put someone in charge that can do the job - preferably not Thai

sack all senior executives and replace them with competent people that can do the job, would only need 1/3 of what they have - preferably not Thai

investigate everyone sacked for unusual wealth and jail them

Still posting nonsensical hypothetical I see.

Farang loo mahk... it's not for the local airline industry.

Or banking or construction or engineering or chemicals or agriculture or oil and gas...

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

The previous half-dozen or so president's never, ever told it like it is and you can see where that got them, can't you?

Perhaps instead of pontificating he should, look at the qualifications of the himself and the Board to run the airline review the executive managers roles and look at a group who are competent and have qualification pertaining to their roles.

OOPs have removed my rose coloured glasses 

As usual, blame someone else - it couldn't be poor management, corruption, or anything else other than the slack staff causing all the problems.

Bloody workers, screwing up my meal ticket - they all need firing. 

12 hours ago, Davo369 said:

In may 2019 i flew with thai airways business class the stewardess said you've had to much to drink I said I'm nervous flyer, drink calms me nerves, i only had 3 vodka and oranges. 12 hour flight that was <deleted> joke. ????

Fly Aeroflot if getting rat arsed is what's needed.

or Nordwind

16 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Now they do Auckland non-stop on their Dreamliners for around US$900.

Two in business, 145k baht is what I paid. SG airlines business BKK-SYD, 85k baht. TG is overpriced by a lot, but it is direct. Biz class seemed booked on most days, just a seat or two available. No idea how many of those are for good old boys club. 

This story is false news!!!!!! Thai Airways President has just announced that the airline is not about to go under. It is all a misunderstanding and he has just told Deputy PM Somkid as much. Seems the President has received a KITA from above.

It appears news reports were "misrepresented". He was only trying to reinforce with his executives of the level of competition from low cost carriers in the airline industry. Just an exercise in "motivation" he explained. Nothing to worry about at all.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/economy/thai-airways-not-at-risk-of-shutting-down-president

18 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

This story is false news!!!!!! Thai Airways President has just announced that the airline is not about to go under. It is all a misunderstanding and he has just told Deputy PM Somkid as much. Seems the President has received a KITA from above.

It appears news reports were "misrepresented". He was only trying to reinforce with his executives of the level of competition from low cost carriers in the airline industry. Just an exercise in "motivation" he explained. Nothing to worry about at all.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/economy/thai-airways-not-at-risk-of-shutting-down-president

Believe that, and you believe in Santa Claus

32 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Two in business, 145k baht is what I paid. SG airlines business BKK-SYD, 85k baht. TG is overpriced by a lot, but it is direct. Biz class seemed booked on most days, just a seat or two available. No idea how many of those are for good old boys club. 

30k baht r/t in coach non-stop on TG versus 85k baht biz class on SQ with stopovers.

What exactly are you trying to sell me here?

Putting your Thaiphobia and the overused 'RTAF old boys club' trope aside momentarily, have you ever considered that maybe, just maybe it's very busy because it's non-stop and cheaper?

Just now, RJRS1301 said:

Believe that, and you believe in Santa Claus

No need to be clever! I didn't say I believed it.

I simply reported a revision to the original news story. If you don't believe that story and in Santa Claus then that's fine with me.

It is my point the President of TA has been given an almighty kick up the ass from on high and told to change his story from truth to lies to correct the embarrassment he has caused the government and the Country.

6 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Interesting you should say that.

Malaysian Airlines are having similar economic problems to Thai Airways and only yesterday it was news they had shortlisted 4 potential partners for a strategic partnership with MAS. 

Perhaps Thai should look at doing the same but I suspect there are too many corrupt and unproductive skeletons in the Thai Airways cupboard for any potential partner to be interested. Or there even could be a serious risk for Thai Airways to have them exposed.

Better perhaps for their sake to let them die a silent death. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/malaysia-shortlists-4-potential-strategic-partners-for-flag-carrier-malaysia-airlines

I agree with you-they would need to destroy many files and records, which would not be acceptable to most buyers or partners-doomed is a good word

There are a small number of you -

@Yinn @NanLaew @josephbloggs

I hope I didn't miss any others 

Who defend anything Thai, even incompetence. 

When some of these companies and government agencies finally fail, I will be looking for your posts in the forum.

Will you just quietly disappear or will you honorably accept defeat?

Let's see. ????

6 hours ago, Litlos said:

I fly through Israel for work, ELAL 21,000Baht, Thai air do a codeshare TG 41,000Baht,  almost double the price on a codeshare.

The problem with Thaiair is the same with any Thai government enterprise, the board is loaded down with assorted generals, admirals and flunkeys. The required business smarts are not there and they probably bought their rank as well.  There are some very successful Thai companies in the private sector, so the talent may well be available locally, but not in the ranks of the military.

Cheers

Curious to which Thai companies in the private sector are very successful?

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

...that, and charging a tad under 500 bucks for a one-way from Broome to Perth on a narrow-body jet.

one way ticket are just as expensive as return , and you choose to fly on less popular route ,

These differences underscore the two biggest challenges for regional WA tourism  flights are cheaper the further you go and the State is competing with wage levels in other countries far lower than ours.(Thai wages compare to Australian)

However, despite the rhetoric to the contrary, airfares within WA compared very favorable with other routes of similar distance within Australia.

It found that flying to Broome was a similar cost to the Sydney to Cairns route but flying to Bali is 78 per cent cheaper. In some cases, such as Perth to Kalgoorlie, the survey found that the slightly shorter Brisbane to Rockhampton route was more expensive. If you booked with virgin it would have been more expensive .It takes 2 hours 30 minutes to get to Broome .

I have booked a trip to Bangkok , Sunday 3rd  November . one way ..cost is 2000 baht . the trip is 1 hour and 20 minutes  and is 670 klms.

Perth to Broome is 2 hours 30 minutes AND IS 2,240 klms . cost is 9500 baht. Taking in account of the different is costs compare to here , I think you done OK. ... banging my head against the wall. .

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

There are a small number of you -

@Yinn @NanLaew @josephbloggs

I hope I didn't miss any others 

Who defend anything Thai, even incompetence. 

When some of these companies and government agencies finally fail, I will be looking for your posts in the forum.

Will you just quietly disappear or will you honorably accept defeat?

Let's see. ????

"Accept defeat"?  I didn't realise this was a competition.  And I bet you long for the day one of them fails and all those people are out of work.

And if you read my posts and don't just cherry pick you will see that I give pretty balanced opinions.  I have said elsewhere (several times) that I avoided Thai for years because it was terrible but in recent years it is a lot better - newer planes, decent food, good service.  I think it is a good regional airline and better than most, but it's not a good long-haul airline - other carriers are much better for that.  And it is criminal they are still flying ancient 747s with poor business class (non lie flat) on some routes.  I also think their lounges in Bangkok are poor.  But overall they are pretty decent, and yes, I fly on them (and other airlines) a lot.  See?  Balanced.

Yes I do jump in to defend Thai things when I see sad bitter old people being condescending, arrogant, and unjustly critical of things that they usually haven't experienced first hand, just because they are Thai.  Where the criticism is justified then I really don't care.

Maybe I can turn it around and ask you why you like to constantly bash Thailand and the Thais over and over again?  A 15 year old Thai kid beating the world champion at Scrabble?  Nice story, but you turn it in to a rant about the Thai education system, about how Thais are ridiculous to celebrate that achievement.  What joy does it bring you?

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

"Accept defeat"?  I didn't realise this was a competition.  And I bet you long for the day one of them fails and all those people are out of work.

And if you read my posts and don't just cherry pick you will see that I give pretty balanced opinions.  I have said elsewhere (several times) that I avoided Thai for years because it was terrible but in recent years it is a lot better - newer planes, decent food, good service.  I think it is a good regional airline and better than most, but it's not a good long-haul airline - other carriers are much better for that.  And it is criminal they are still flying ancient 747s with poor business class (non lie flat) on some routes.  I also think their lounges in Bangkok are poor.  But overall they are pretty decent, and yes, I fly on them (and other airlines) a lot.  See?  Balanced.

Yes I do jump in to defend Thai things when I see sad bitter old people being condescending, arrogant, and unjustly critical of things that they usually haven't experienced first hand, just because they are Thai.  Where the criticism is justified then I really don't care.

Maybe I can turn it around and ask you why you like to constantly bash Thailand and the Thais over and over again?  A 15 year old Thai kid beating the world champion at Scrabble?  Nice story, but you turn it in to a rant about the Thai education system, about how Thais are ridiculous to celebrate that achievable.  What joy does it bring you?

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pick on you. 

I've been having a bad day. 

When I see people defending the indefensible, it makes me froth at the mouth. 

????

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pick on you. 

I've been having a bad day. 

When I see people defending the indefensible, it makes me froth at the mouth. 

????

If a good old Thai bash is the salve for one simply having a bad day then the legions of your cohorts must be having a thoroughly rotten century or three.

Unconvinced in Kettering.

PS. Misery loves company.

Taken from an aviation forum I subscribe to. 

Airline Weekly as their feature analysis this week looks at TG

Some story highlights:
o TG home market share is merely 16%. One of the lowest in world for a national carrier
o Facings intense competition from all sides - LCCs, Chinese and Indian carriers, ME3 and carriers of every stripe from around the world.
o Suffers from years of unhelpful political meddling including executive turnover
o Overstaffed and low productivity
o Overly complex fleet
o Currency management issues - only 6% of revenue USD, but 57% of cost
o Failed to devise a coordinated strategy between TG, TG Smile and its Nok Air investment
o Split Bangkok airport with domestic customer preference to use DMK
o Outmoded pricing and revenue management practices which has historically relied on bulk discounting and tour operators
o Positions itself as a premium carrier yet has a largely outdated product in a market which is primarily low-yield tourists and local VFR
o Many non-core assets and business ventures
o Experiencing traffic decline in 6 of airlines top 10 international markets

Archived