Do you need to book a hotel to enter thailand?

A friend is coming next month and will be staying with me for about 2 weeks. Will he have any issues if he just tells immigration that he's staying with me? Anything important info he should know about? or if he needs to fill anything differently in the TM6 card.

Edited by lastminutebozo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, elviajero said:

It shouldn't be a problem. Make sure he knows your full address for the TM.6.

You can't be denied entry specifically for not having a hotel booking. They only ask to see bookings if they're considering denying entry, which they only tend to do to serial tourists. Occasional holiday makers shouldn't have a problem.

Thank you very much Elviajero!

The address on the TM6-card does not have to be your address. It's more of an initial address and every tourist are allowed to travel around. No hotel room has to be booked in advance. The TM6-card address is not important to Immigration. 

If your friend comes visa-exempt (without visa) and does not plan to stay longer than 30 days, there will be no issue whatsoever.

However, if he intends to stay longer and wants to extend his stay, he will have to make sure that the address where he stayed before visiting the provincial IO for his extension has filed a TM30.  When he stayed in a hotel, they will have done it for him.  But if he still stays at your place when going for his extension of stay, you should register your home so that you will be able to file his TM30.

Registering on-line so that you can file a TM30, was a headache before but is now relatively easy to do.

As a tourist I'm normally in Thailand 3 or 4 times a year for the duration of about 11 nights each visit. There was one occasion in the past year when everyone in the economy immigration queue was not only asked for the TM6 card but also proof of accommodation. Fortunately I had my Agoda booking slip and this sufficed. To this day I'm not sure what was going on then?

12 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

No proof of hotel required but will need your address for the TM6 entry card and a telephone number for the same card.

shouldn't be an issue.

If it's a worry, book an hotel for the first night and move him to your place the next day, but do a TM 30 for him, or whoever does TM 30 for you.

A few years ago, most Bagpackers just looked up some hotel in the Lonely Planet and put that on the entry form. Never actually stayed there- found a cheap place on Khao san Rd. These days I don't know if they computer link TM30 to entry card address.

2 hours ago, moobie said:

As a tourist I'm normally in Thailand 3 or 4 times a year for the duration of about 11 nights each visit. There was one occasion in the past year when everyone in the economy immigration queue was not only asked for the TM6 card but also proof of accommodation. Fortunately I had my Agoda booking slip and this sufficed. To this day I'm not sure what was going on then?

Probably some higher official was having a bad day.

On 10/23/2019 at 11:46 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

If it's a worry, book an hotel for the first night and move him to your place the next day, but do a TM 30 for him, or whoever does TM 30 for you.

A few years ago, most Bagpackers just looked up some hotel in the Lonely Planet and put that on the entry form. Never actually stayed there- found a cheap place on Khao san Rd. These days I don't know if they computer link TM30 to entry card address.

As mentioned in my previous reply > If your friend comes visa-exempt (without visa) and does not plan to stay longer than 30 days, there will be no issue whatsoever.

However, if he intends to stay longer and wants to extend his stay, he will have to make sure that the address where he stayed before visiting the provincial IO for his extension has filed a TM30.  When he stayed in a hotel, they will have done it for him.  But if he still stays at your place when going for his extension of stay, you should register your home so that you will be able to file his TM30.

Registering on-line so that you can file a TM30, was a headache before but is now relatively easy to do.

If that's too much of a hassle for you, then your friend could also check into a Hotel the night before visiting the provincial IO for his extension of stay.

Obviously if your friend does not plan to stay longer than 30 days, then simply ignore the whole TM30 thing as it is ONLY checked at some provincial IO's when going for an extension of stay.