where to open bank account?

I used to have kasikron, but it expired, I still have the purple one bank, i dont know the name...

I went there to get new atm card, but after coming to bkk after few years, they could not renew it, cause i changed my passport and i have to go to trang office to deal with it and prove it is still me, even though ai have new passport, the old one was damaged....

this is just pure craziness.....everything is there on passport, my name, adress etc....but they make problems....

they told me to go to trang city where i last time lived with my ex girlfriend and talk to them

for now i cant use atm card but only use passport to deposit or withdraw....

is there a branch in bkk that can fix this, i know branches are different....

i dont want to go to trang to fix my bank account.....i will never visit trang again....so what are my option

and i cant close the account and open new one.....they told me i have to go to Trang...I mean this is ridiculous....

9 hours ago, parafareno said:

and i cant close the account and open new one

9 hours ago, parafareno said:

for now i cant use atm card but only use passport to deposit or withdraw....

Forget closing the account.

Go to the counter and withdraw the complete amount.

Maybe they will insist on leaving a small amount.

The account will expire sometime soon.

Then go to another bank (branch) and open a new account.

Just did the above with an account of one of the sons at Bangkok Bank.

He had an account with some 5xxx Baht and they withdrew 15 Baht monthly for the last 6 months or so. To make it easier I filled it up to 6015 Baht by internet banking.

Drove to the next ATM and withdrew 6000 Baht.

Case closed Thai style.

Some months ago I insisted on closing and age old account (common name with my wife).

Hell, that was more than 30 min at the desk. x forms, y signatures.

yes SCB....i have the account there for 10 years and they treat me like that.....i had to go to trang just to sort this <deleted> out....this is so crazy....

i will try another bank....but the teller at the scb in airport tell me i cant open bank account with any other bank...cause new rules for falangs....

22 minutes ago, parafareno said:

i will try another bank....but the teller at the scb in airport tell me i cant open bank account with any other bank...cause new rules for falangs....

SCB is very difficult. You need a work permit.

If you do not have a 1 year rental contract, no 1 year visum and or no work contract it can be very hard to open a new bank account. Maybe going to Trang will even save you some time.

You are a lucky guy. I still have an account at Metrobank on the Philippines and they switched the ATM cards to chip cards and so my old card does not work here in Thailand anymore. They told me that I can change it at any time in their branch on the Philippines. There is no other way. And I can't make online transfers outside the Metrobank. But I have to create a movement every 2 years to avoid that my account gets dormant. I asked the bank manager if I could transfer a smaller amount to his account to avoid this (of course I told him that he can keep the money). No way. Luckily I found out that UNICEF has an account for donations at Metrobank. Now they get every 2 years 100 Peso donation from me simply to avoid that my account gets dormant and I can't even access it online anymore. 

2 hours ago, parafareno said:

ut the teller at the scb in airport tell me i cant open bank account with any other bank...cause new rules for falangs....

Rubbish.

Opening bank account is made difficult by some branches/banks but still possible.

What kind of visa status/permission to stay do you have?

What's your nationality?

There are threads about foreigner friendly branches in Bangkok.

Being on a tourist visa may cause problems, but not insurmountable ones. Bangkok bank will open an account on a tourist visa (subject to the usual manager's discretion/attitude) but you will need a permanent address and an embassy affidavit or Certificate of residence. Then once you have an account, just withdraw the money from the old account over the counter.

Sometimes thai banks act like their branches are in different universes, not provinces ....recently my wife finally got around to changing the name on her K-bank account to her married name. She went in to Central, Ubon, only to be told to go to Bangkok where the account was. What, your computer here is on a different system to the rest of your branches ? I told her to open a new account and withdraw all the old account, the bank bimbo says "no can do". OK then, we will just take the money and go next door to the Bangkok bank ...."ok, can open new account".

Another classic case worth remembering in that if you've got a bank account opened in easier times dont let lack of activity get it closed inadvertantly

Churn a bit of cash through it once a year so much easier than trying to open a new one

8 hours ago, SteveK said:

Bangkok bank won't open an account for a foreigner under 50 without a work permit. If you don't believe me go into your local branch and try it.

That is just the local manager making his own rules, not Bank policy. From their website:

1. Foreigner with a work permit

• Passport
  • Work Permit

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand 
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

When I moved to Ubon and opened a new account the woman said I needed a work permit, I just politely showed their website and asked them to phone Head Office and check. Surprise, surprise, no work permit needed after all .....

Believe the passport change rule is true of any bank - it must be done in branch account was set up at.  Know that is true of Bangkok Bank.  Other activities such as ATM cards and passbooks can be issued anywhere these days but passport change must be at original branch.  Passports are also a bit of a mystery to most bank employees as they expect the number to remain the same, as it does for a Thai ID card.

12 hours ago, MikeN said:

....recently my wife finally got around to changing the name on her K-bank account to her married name. She went in to Central, Ubon, only to be told to go to Bangkok where the account was. What, your computer here is on a different system to the rest of your branches ? I told her to open a new account and withdraw all the old account, the bank bimbo says "no can do". OK then, we will just take the money and go next door to the Bangkok bank ...."ok, can open new account".

Maybe just another example that they are too lazy or "shy" to ask their superior to handle the case.

The clerks have limited authorities and for certain tasks the branch manager has to countersign (with smartcard etc.). I had this at SCB when they changed my passport number. Looked good until I came home and wanted to logon to internet banking: locked out!

To unlock this required the manager who was on a trip for 2 days :wacko:

Archived