Kim Jong Un: South Korean facilities in Mt. Kumgang resort must be removed - KCNA

webfact

Kim Jong Un: South Korean facilities in Mt. Kumgang resort must be removed - KCNA

2019-10-22T223621Z_1_LYNXMPEF9L22J_RTROPTP_4_NORTHKOREA-SOUTHKOREA.JPG

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un inspects the Mount Kumgang tourist resort, North Korea, in this undated picture released by North Korea's Central News Agency (KCNA) on October 23, 2019. KCNA via REUTERS

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said South Korean facilities in the Mt Kumgang tourist resort must be removed and rebuilt in a modern way by North Korean methods, North Korean state news agency KCNA said on Wednesday.

Mt Kumgang, along with the Kaesong industrial zone, has been one of two major inter-Korean economic projects and symbol of cooperation between the two Koreas.

Kim, while inspecting the tourist spot on the east coast of North Korea, said it was a "mistaken idea" for Mt Kumgang to be viewed as a symbol of North-South relations, underscoring that it is North Korean soil, and tourism there must not be under the control of South Korea.

"We will always welcome our compatriots from the south if they want to come to Mt Kumgang after it is wonderfully built as the world-level tourist destination," Kim added.

South Koreans were allowed to visit Mt Kumgang starting in 1998 by sea and from 2003 by land, with South Korean firms such as Hyundai Asan Corp investing in the tourist resort.

However, South Korea suspended tours to Mt Kumgang in 2008 after a North Korean soldier shot dead a South Korean tourist who had wandered unknowingly into a military area.

South Korea-funded facilities have remained there since then but tours from the South have not resumed amid international sanctions trying to force North Korea to give up its nuclear weapons programmes.

Kim criticized the "mistaken policy of the predecessors" who were dependent on others to develop the tourist spot, and said Mt Kumgang must be taken care of as part of a larger tourist area that encompasses the mountain and the Wonsan-Kalma coastal tourist area, KCNA said.

Wonsan-Kalma is a major development project pushed ahead by Kim after he came to power.

Kim said North Korea should seek agreement with relevant South Korean authorities the removal of the facilities, KCNA added.

(Reporting by Joyce Lee; Editing by Sandra Maler and Lincoln Feast)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-23

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Back to the same old same old. Where is POTUS?

I guess Mr Trump is moving on to fresh failures; Syria, lets betray the Kurds, then give it to Putin and the Turks.

I know you think you are clever. But, your statement has absolutely nothing to do with the story. But, you did get your Trump rage in. Congrats.

8 minutes ago, Longcut said:

know you think you are clever. But, your statement has absolutely nothing to do with the story. But, you did get your Trump rage in. Congrats.

Ok, you have missed the last year and the Trump Kim meetings, diplomacy, trying to cool down the Peninsula and threat of war between North and South?! ???? And after hopes, it looks to be a total failure. 

I would suggest newspapers, news websites, TV if nothing else. Unfortunately I was raised back in the day when parading around willful ignorance, was not considered praiseworthy or even a virtue.  :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Back to the same old same old. Where is POTUS?

I guess Mr Trump is moving on to fresh failures; Syria, lets betray the Kurds, then give it to Putin and the Turks.

Your bizzare post is puzzling in its lack of relevance.

4 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Ok, you have missed the last year and the Trump Kim meetings, diplomacy, trying to cool down the Peninsula and threat of war between North and South?! ???? And after hopes, it looks to be a total failure. 

I would suggest newspapers, news websites, TV if nothing else. Unfortunately I was raised back in the day when parading around willful ignorance, was not considered praiseworthy or even a virtue.  :thumbsup:

Again, what does your post have to do with the present article? "Parading around in willfull ignorance" seems to extend to the written word as you have so eloquantly demonstrated.

Obviously the North wants to totally take over the hotel, free of all monetary charges. The South ought to lay some discreet TNT sticks along the framework and on some cloudy stormy day set the bombs off. Less dust that way ya'know.

The South also can claim 'lightning strike' and deny responsibility. 

Archived