BANGKOK
New beginnings

Landlord not going to return apartment deposit.

Just for a bit of background have resided in apartment for 6 years and always paid rent on time. When I moved in landlord, Chinese, lived in Chiangmai but moved to Bangkok a few years ago. Had always thought we had a very good relationship.

Since I gave notice this appears to have changed and message received today basically stating that I will not get deposit back. Despite the fact that signed lease clearly states that deposit will be returned within 15 days she has implied that I should move to another apartment, not one of hers, for one month and book air ticket any day after one month has passed. She clearly knows that any apartment will clearly cost me most of the deposit, 20,000 bahts, and I think she is also aware my current retirement extension expires on 30 November. She has also made it clear that she will be looking not to refund full deposit. She has already stated in an earlier message that I will not get any of the deposit back if I leave Thailand prior to the question of the deposit being resolved.

Whilst I have come to accept that I will lose the deposit I have about 3 weeks before current tenancy agreement expires and would appreciate any advise members are able to offer.

Incidentally apartment is rented out through a letting agent and I wonder if it would be worth approaching them for assistance or is there first priority to landlords.

Many thanks

• Sad 2

Many thanks for your reply BestB. I pay rent 12th monthly. From your comments are you saying that, pending me pursuing other action to recover  the deposit, I do not have to leave when the current tenancy expires on 12 November or will I be evicted. Also as all rent has been paid through the letting agent would they be able to confirm proof of rent paid?

Edited by New beginnings
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, New beginnings said:

Many thanks for your reply BestB. I pay rent 12th monthly. From your comments are you saying that, pending me pursuing other action to recover  the deposit, I do not have to leave when the current tenancy expires on 12 November or will I be evicted. Also as all rent has been paid through the letting agent would they be able to confirm proof of rent paid?

She can not just evict you. Police will not help her either.how do you pay rent? Transfer or cash ?

• Like 1

Just now, New beginnings said:

Cash at the letting agents office.

Do not they give you a receipt for money paid. ?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BestB said:

I am confused then why you want them to confirm if you have receipt for rent paid 

In your original post you suggested I contact landlord to obtain proof of all rent paid which you stated she would probably refuse to do. That’s was reason I wondered if letting agent would confirm proof of rent for full 6 year tenancy.

What is her reason for not returning it within the 15days of you vacating the apartment?

• Thanks 1