Landlord not going to return apartment deposit.

New beginnings

You jokers above are funny.  I rented a big house from a woman who is a professor at CMU.  After I had just been flooded out of my previous house during the huge floods in 2005.  I used a MAJOR agency in CM not a flake, thank you for your pointless advice on that.  It was a fully furnished house since I just lost all my stuff.  She unfurnished it while I was on a 1-2 month trip after I had signed and paid.  She even took the water pump. She did leave things like one broken microwave where before there had been two due to having two kitchens.  Then even though I stayed a year, I did not stay two, so she kept my two month deposit.  I paid higher rent, for furnished house for that year, there was no reduction.  I got mail to that house for her Father, which many Thai people noticed, and he apparently was somebody important in the police force.  

Im glad it worked out well for you people above, but when it doesn’t work out, like it my case my above ...just wait and see what the agent does for you ...I want to hear from someone who had an agent who changed the course of a landlord problem.  Contract ....why do you assume I didn’t do all that.  

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, amykat said:

You jokers above are funny.  I rented a big house from a woman who is a professor at CMU.  After I had just been flooded out of my previous house during the huge floods in 2005.  I used a MAJOR agency in CM not a flake, thank you for your pointless advice on that.  It was a fully furnished house since I just lost all my stuff.  She unfurnished it while I was on a 1-2 month trip after I had signed and paid.  She even took the water pump. She did leave things like one broken microwave where before there had been two due to having two kitchens.  Then even though I stayed a year, I did not stay two, so she kept my two month deposit.  I paid higher rent, for furnished house for that year, there was no reduction.  I got mail to that house for her Father, which many Thai people noticed, and he apparently was somebody important in the police force.  

Im glad it worked out well for you people above, but when it doesn’t work out, like it my case my above ...just wait and see what the agent does for you ...I want to hear from someone who had an agent who changed the course of a landlord problem.  Contract ....why do you assume I didn’t do all that.  

Many proper real estate agents keep the deposit and don't give it to the owner,and they honour the contract they signed. Maybe you were just unlucky or your real estate agent wasn't as good as you thought. 

What contract does the AGENT sign with a renter?  You are speaking of condos, maybe they are renting for out of town owners and have more authority than normal.  You are just making generalized statements with great authority ...I would like to know where you get that authority.  

I have stated that the money you see them keep is their COMMISSION!!!  Yes it is your deposit, that happens to be the same amount.  Do you think they trust the owners to pay them a little bit every month after handing over the customer???  Renter gives deposit, it pays commission, renter pays first months rent, moves in, that goes to owner ....if you pay two months rent as deposit that is better, owner gets some deposit.

And how do you tell which ones are the PROPER ones??  Back then there was not a lot on the Internet.  There was however a major magazine in Chiang Mai and few places advertised there regularly.  My agent was one of them.  They also had a big office on Nimman.  That should have been enough to be “proper”.

15 hours ago, amykat said:

And how do you tell which ones are the PROPER ones??  Back then there was not a lot on the Internet.  There was however a major magazine in Chiang Mai and few places advertised there regularly.  My agent was one of them.  They also had a big office on Nimman.  That should have been enough to be “proper”.

Yes, fair point, back in 2005 more difficult. Much easier nowadays, whenever I use a new business I always check the Google reviews. Will always be the odd bad one but you very quickly get a feel for the business and how professional they are by checking the number of reviews they have and the average rating. I then have a quick read through some of them too. 

On 10/29/2019 at 7:18 AM, rumak said:

Nancy, was your landlord Thai or a foreigner ?

Our landlord was Brit married to a Thai.  Together they own multiple condos in our building and I think she calls the financial shots with him organizing the upkeep and remodeling.  He probably had a say in not taking the cost of the bathroom remodeling and floor tile regrouting out of our deposit.  The things we were charged for were clearly cat damage or repair/repainting after removing the numerous picture hangers we'd installed.

In our new condo, we now have a better path over the kitchen cabinets, refrigerator, bookshelves, etc for the cats to perch and walk without scratching up woodwork as they ascend and descend.  They regularly fell off or missed the jump in the old place and scratched cabinets and other woodwork. 

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

Our landlord was Brit married to a Thai.  Together they own multiple condos in our building and I think she calls the financial shots with him organizing the upkeep and remodeling.  He probably had a say in not taking the cost of the bathroom remodeling and floor tile regrouting out of our deposit.  The things we were charged for were clearly cat damage or repair/repainting after removing the numerous picture hangers we'd installed.

Good to hear you had a positive landlord experience.  I think in CM there are more than a few

Thai/Farang partnerships , and from the few i know I think they are for the most part fair and reasonable.  Sometimes of course they have to deal with a certain segment of Farangs that

are used to dictating "how things should be done" .  

I must inform you however that before we would accept you and hubby the cats would need

to pass an agility test and wear kitty mittens when walking around .   ????

As far as the grout situation, small things such as that we consider normal wear and tear and

it would be stupid to charge a good tenant for such after they rented for a number of years.

18 minutes ago, rumak said:

Good to hear you had a positive landlord experience.  I think in CM there are more than a few

Thai/Farang partnerships , and from the few i know I think they are for the most part fair and reasonable.  Sometimes of course they have to deal with a certain segment of Farangs that

are used to dictating "how things should be done" .  

I must inform you however that before we would accept you and hubby the cats would need

to pass an agility test and wear kitty mittens when walking around .   ????

As far as the grout situation, small things such as that we consider normal wear and tear and

it would be stupid to charge a good tenant for such after they rented for a number of years.

It's easier just to pay for cat damage at the end and keep their claws trimmed than to try to train them to be more agile.  Heck, with Mr. Bitey if you talk baby-talk with him, telling him how he's a handsome man, he'll roll around in appreciation and fall off his perch. Works every time.  He's a man after all. 

Archived