Stop! Immigration call a halt to illegal work seminar in Chiang Mai

webfact

5 minutes ago, baansgr said:

I would assume the participants paid a fee to the organisers of the event who were in fact working without a permit... Are immigration  really wrong to arrest illegal workers....

'assume'?

It doesn't mention work permit in the report, it says 'licences':

44 minutes ago, webfact said:

It was discovered that the employment seminar had been organised without the necessary licences. 

Ten Malaysians led by a Mr Eng were taken away and charged. 

• Like 2

I can see the issue if money is being made. It's business and Thailand and the cops not getting their cut. Fair enough but a license? Hopefully they mean a permit. Anyway, it's hopelessly anti business. Just hope it was something worth shutting down like MLM or how to set up boiler room operation in Thailand. 

Shame on the hotel for letting it happen.

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Looks like the government are successfully doing their best to deter people to visit Thailand.

Why would that be? Looks to me that they are trying to catch people that are working illegal or offering work/products illegally.

2 hours ago, cmsally said:

You would have thought the hotel would be checking/organising paperwork with a conference of this size. How could the issue not have arisen when they hired the space in a hotel of this size/grade. If this was a smaller , less plush hotel it would almost be a sure thing that the hotel owner/manager would have been hauled up too.

maybe if it had been a (more than 3 people) gathering 'outside' - then could also have played

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I too remember this, but wasn't sure if seminars were included. So they obviously were.

Fancy not knowing you needed a 'licence' too.

I wonder what that might be for - opening your mouth in public, standing in front more than five people, encouraging people to work?

The bureaucratic possibilities are endless.

Fink one of them was getting married at the same time....????