Best place for new TR visa?

Hi,

Does anyone have very recent experiences applying for a Tourist Visa in Saigon, Phnom Penh or Vientiane? I was going to go to Saigon, but then I remembered that I had trouble there last time (lot of questioning). I've never had issues in Vientiane, so at least that used to be the best place to apply, but as a travel destination I would rather go to Vietnam. I'm also considering Phnom Penh, but never been to the Thai Embassy there, so no idea how good of an option that is.

My passport is full of Thai stamps from many years, so it might not be easy in any of these places. However, I just spent 6 months in Europe – hope that helps. I came back in Sep on a 30+30 exempt and now I'm going to apply for my first TR since Jan 2019 (my previous Thai TR visa is from Jan 2019). 

Thanks. 

Do you have a ve border entry available. Sounds like you have not used any in 2019.

You have 2 available per calendar yr. If you do you could try nearby country options. With Vietnam, if for some strange reason you had a problem then its difficult to do border entry. 

Personally I wouldn't use pp. Seems bit hit and miss. Others may disagree.

I can recommend Hanoi, it's not a busy consulate and their requirements are more reasonable than HCMC's (surprisingly enough). In particular, they don't require you to provide accommodation details (hotel bookings) for at least half of your stay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Do you have a ve border entry available. Sounds like you have not used any in 2019.

You have 2 available per calendar yr. If you do you could try nearby country options. With Vietnam, if for some strange reason you had a problem then its difficult to do border entry. 

Howdy, Welp just booked my tix to return to LOS, always travel one way and never have visa as I get my entry stamp at Bkk then extend it for another 30 days....since the rules are always changing are you saying I can go to mae sai border up north 2x a year for 30 day re-entry stamps if I cross over into burma?  Or just get one and extend that one again like the Bkk one at CM immig...hope this makes sense..as I dread doing the Laos visa trip.....mae sai-burma I can suck it up and do the long bus in one long day..

54 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Howdy, Welp just booked my tix to return to LOS, always travel one way and never have visa as I get my entry stamp at Bkk then extend it for another 30 days....since the rules are always changing are you saying I can go to mae sai border up north 2x a year for 30 day re-entry stamps if I cross over into burma?  Or just get one and extend that one again like the Bkk one at CM immig...hope this makes sense..as I dread doing the Laos visa trip.....mae sai-burma I can suck it up and do the long bus in one long day..

Each 30 visa exempt can be extended once by 30 days at immigration. Visa exempt entries are unlimited at airports. Keep in mind the io will eventually deny entry.

You can obtain 2 border VE each one can be extended at imm. 

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Sure, I do but will choose the flight option, so that if I do not get the TR visa then I still get the 30+30 as usual. I already have a flight to Saigon paid, but I started to hesitate now since I remembered that I had problems there last time. I've been to Hanoi too, that was really smooth. Since I already have a paid ticket to Saigon, I would rather go there of course. 

Normally I wouldn't worry about getting a visa this time since I've been away for 6 moths this year, but I had an incident in my own country's Thai Embassy in August. For some very odd reason they did not grant a TR visa for me, even though I had spent 6 months back in my country. They said I had too many Thai visas and stamps in my 2 passports. They didn't put any red stamps or other markings on my passport tho and I wasn't asked anything at Suvarnabhumi upon arrival. Now I just worry about this happening in Saigon or Vientiane (or wherever I apply next). I just want to choose the best option now. I would think the safest bet is always Vientiane, unless things have changed? I would just prefer to stick to Saigon since I have flights booked and the city offers more to do for a couple of days.  

6 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Sure, I do but will choose the flight option, so that if I do not get the TR 

Normally I wouldn't worry about getting a visa this time since I've been away for 6 moths this year, but I had an incident in my own country's Thai Embassy in August. For some very odd reason they did not grant a TR visa for me, even though I had spent 6 months back in my country.

That's very unusual. You were refused a tourist visa in Europe after spending 6 months back home

What country are you from? 

1 hour ago, ChomDo said:

Sure, I do but will choose the flight option, so that if I do not get the TR visa then I still get the 30+30 as usual. I already have a flight to Saigon paid, but I started to hesitate now since I remembered that I had problems there last time. I've been to Hanoi too, that was really smooth. Since I already have a paid ticket to Saigon, I would rather go there of course. 

Normally I wouldn't worry about getting a visa this time since I've been away for 6 moths this year, but I had an incident in my own country's Thai Embassy in August. For some very odd reason they did not grant a TR visa for me, even though I had spent 6 months back in my country. They said I had too many Thai visas and stamps in my 2 passports. They didn't put any red stamps or other markings on my passport tho and I wasn't asked anything at Suvarnabhumi upon arrival. Now I just worry about this happening in Saigon or Vientiane (or wherever I apply next). I just want to choose the best option now. I would think the safest bet is always Vientiane, unless things have changed? I would just prefer to stick to Saigon since I have flights booked and the city offers more to do for a couple of days.  

In that case stick with Saigon. If you obtain setv fine. If have issue such as passport returned with visa and VOID stamp you could still fly Saigon to Chiang Mai enter visa exempt. This scenario occurred recently to a member. 

2 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

This advice may no longer be as relevant as a year or two ago ...

If you limit your use of visa exempt entries (both by land and by air) I think you have a better chance that immigration will automatically grant you visa exempt entry when you have no good option other than to try visa exempt entry by air. If they see multiple extended visa exempt entries (whether they were by land or air) this creates an impression that you are trying to use visa exempt entries to stay extended periods in Thailand. Immigration definitely has discretion to deny you a visa exempt entry under those circumstances. Since 2015, I think it is prudent to use visa exempt entries only as an emergency backup when anticipated visas fall through.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

In that case stick with Saigon. If you obtain setv fine. If have issue such as passport returned with visa and VOID stamp you could still fly Saigon to Chiang Mai enter visa exempt. This scenario occurred recently to a member. 

I did't get this. I've heard of some nationalities getting VOID stamps but isn't it very unusual. Normally they look trough your papers well first to determine if you can get a visa or not. Maybe this depends a bit on your nationality. So if someone would get a VOID stamped visa in Saigon, then how does flying to Chiang Mai instead of Bangkok help?

25 minutes ago, BritTim said:

This advice may no longer be as relevant as a year or two ago ...

If you limit your use of visa exempt entries (both by land and by air) I think you have a better chance that immigration will automatically grant you visa exempt entry when you have no good option other than to try visa exempt entry by air. If they see multiple extended visa exempt entries (whether they were by land or air) this creates an impression that you are trying to use visa exempt entries to stay extended periods in Thailand. Immigration definitely has discretion to deny you a visa exempt entry under those circumstances. Since 2015, I think it is prudent to use visa exempt entries only as an emergency backup when anticipated visas fall through.

I've been trying to do exactly that, but now in August I wasn't granted a TR in my country so I had to come in with a 30+30 exempt. Now if I won't get a TR this time in Saigon or Vientiane, then that will be my second exempt in a row.

Of course maybe in this case it would be best to take the Thai Visa Service van trip to Vientiane, but I just can't stand sitting in the van and waiting for hours at the border in the middle of the night anymore. Also the disadvantage is that if you don't get a visa, then you'll only get 30 days at the land border. I'm not sure if these visa service companies get you the visa easier, but at least never seen anybody refused a visa on those trips.

1 minute ago, ChomDo said:

I did't get this. I've heard of some nationalities getting VOID stamps but isn't it very unusual. Normally they look trough your papers well first to determine if you can get a visa or not. Maybe this depends a bit on your nationality. So if someone would get a VOID stamped visa in Saigon, then how does flying to Chiang Mai instead of Bangkok help?

First of all its common for passports to be returned with void stamps if for example previous setv from that consulate or perhaps trying to obtain setv with previous ed visas etc. Phnom Penh does it often.

The guy I mentioned obtained Void in Saigon was UK national. 

Mention of CNX is because not behaving like DM. 

2 hours ago, mockingbird said:

That's very unusual. You were refused a tourist visa in Europe after spending 6 months back home

What country are you from? 

Yes that was shocking. I've been doing this for years and the only time I spent longer than a month (6 months) back in my home country was this year. And this was the only time I've been refused a TR.

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

First of all its common for passports to be returned with void stamps if for example previous setv from that consulate or perhaps trying to obtain setv with previous ed visas etc. Phnom Penh does it often.

The guy I mentioned obtained Void in Saigon was UK national. 

Mention of CNX is because not behaving like DM. 

Oh ok so is Don Muaeng known to give trouble? I've actually been questioned there a lot. Last time was pulled aside and my passports were investigated for 20min. Maybe that's an airport to avoid but all Air Asia flight land there so.

1 hour ago, ChomDo said:

Yes that was shocking. I've been doing this for years and the only time I spent longer than a month (6 months) back in my home country was this year. And this was the only time I've been refused a TR.

Thanks for the answer. I'm still curious to know what nationality you are, and what European country were you denied a tourist visa?

Just arrived today in Phnom Penh and went to the travel office next to Paddy rice, nowadays called Cheers. Was highly recommended in the past here on TV. He's not willing to do it, so I won't ask anyone else, and move my bloody ass over there myself. 

If the Cambodians are not anymore willing to take 10$/passport, for a 2*15 min drive on the scooter. Than the rejection rate might be high.

4 hours ago, ChomDo said:

Of course maybe in this case it would be best to take the Thai Visa Service van trip to Vientiane, but I just can't stand sitting in the van and waiting for hours at the border in the middle of the night anymore. Also the disadvantage is that if you don't get a visa, then you'll only get 30 days at the land border. I'm not sure if these visa service companies get you the visa easier, but at least never seen anybody refused a visa on those trips.

If you want to use Vientiane, I would suggest:

• Fly to Vientiane. There is absolutely no issue leaving Thailand by air.
  • After getting the visa (hopefully) return by land at the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai. Make your way to Udon Thani airport, and fly on from there.

Using this approach means that you never spend more than an hour at most in a car or van. If the visa is refused, you will have a safe visa exempt land entry.

Remember that you need to make an appointment using the online system if you want to apply for a visa in Vientiane.

By the way, scrub Phnom Penh from your list of possible places to apply. Voided tourist visas from there are very common these days.

9 minutes ago, BritTim said:

• After getting the visa (hopefully) return by land at the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai. Make your way to Udon Thani airport, and fly on from there.

Using this approach means that you never spend more than an hour at most in a car or van. If the visa is refused, you will have a safe visa exempt land entry.

Remember that you need to make an appointment using the online system if you want to apply for a visa in Vientiane.

By the way, scrub Phnom Penh from your list of possible places to apply. Voided tourist visas from there are very common these days.

Think this good advice.

As advised already skip pp.

BritTim whats your weigh up on fly Vientiane vs fly udon thani. Guess it depends if someone what's bit of chill in bar area udon?

3 hours ago, mockingbird said:

Thanks for the answer. I'm still curious to know what nationality you are, and what European country were you denied a tourist visa?

Sure, I understand but I never reveal my nationality on the forums. I don't think it would make much difference what country this happened in – I mean in terms of this topic. I'm just seeking for some updated info about applying for a TR in Saigon and Vientiane. 

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Thanks for this advice. I was thinking of the option of flying in and out of Vientiane but never thought of coming back by land boarder. That does sound like a possible plan alright. Of course if I was too unlucky not to get the visa, then I'd have to fly back for sure in order to get the 30+30 instead of the 30 days from land boarder crossing. I guess in that case buying a return flight BKK-Vientiane-BKK is more convenient. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Think this good advice.

As advised already skip pp.

BritTim whats your weigh up on fly Vientiane vs fly udon thani. Guess it depends if someone what's bit of chill in bar area udon?

If I was doing the trip, I would very likely stop in Udon Thani for a night. The suggestion of flying direct to Vientiane was only for someone who wants a safe way of trying for a visa, while having the absolute minimum hassle journey in doing so. Returning by land is a must, but a somewhat simpler direct journey by air going to Vientiane is a perfectly safe alternative.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Each 30 visa exempt can be extended once by 30 days at immigration. Visa exempt entries are unlimited at airports. Keep in mind the io will eventually deny entry.

You can obtain 2 border VE each one can be extended at imm. 

Correct. I have been coming to LOS since 2008 with ONE way tixs, yes I know risky, ALWAYS gotten a ENTRY STAMP upon arrival at BKK airport , again risky. Never have I come with a VISA. I have always gotten the FREE 30 day stamp, then extend at CNX immi ($1900bt)...Then I haul to Laos for a THAI VISA, hating the long cramped bus ride and having to buy a LAOS visa for basically 48 hrs. Then to activate a DOUBLE entry visa (old days) I'd make the haul to mae Sai-Burma border to stamp out and turn around and walk in-activating 2nd entry from 1 Double entry visa that they used to do in Laos (Vientiane)....sadly no longer..sucks.

My attempt would be arrive at BKK airport as usual and "hope" for the 30 day stamp, is always tense, and then go to CNX and extend that after 30 days.......then go to Mae sai-Burma border, exit and re-enter with another 30 day "stamp" and again extend at CNX immig. So you are saying this is possible, but is risky...

thus giving me 4 months without an actual visa but would have the 20k in case they ask about that too.

I realize the risk factor but you stated that I can obtain 2 border VE and my last visit was in Dec 2018.

Am going to look into a METV here as this is the very first time I have bought a RT tix to the LOS.....Thanks

17 hours ago, ChomDo said:

I've been trying to do exactly that, but now in August I wasn't granted a TR in my country so I had to come in with a 30+30 exempt. Now if I won't get a TR this time in Saigon or Vientiane, then that will be my second exempt in a row.

UGH..I did that van ONCE, never again, packed full of newbies who would not shut up, cramped, could not sleep..horrible...I always take night bus from CNX to KK then International bus to VN..there is a Comsulate in KK to get a LAOS visa or just take another reg bus to nong khai-border.....I did fly last year for first time but the Laos con was so packed almost 800 ppl!!! I arrived at UT airport at 6, watched my plane fly away..... ????

3 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Correct. I have been coming to LOS since 2008 with ONE way tixs, yes I know risky, ALWAYS gotten a ENTRY STAMP upon arrival at BKK airport , again risky. Never have I come with a VISA. I have always gotten the FREE 30 day stamp, then extend at CNX immi ($1900bt)...Then I haul to Laos for a THAI VISA, hating the long cramped bus ride and having to buy a LAOS visa for basically 48 hrs. Then to activate a DOUBLE entry visa (old days) I'd make the haul to mae Sai-Burma border to stamp out and turn around and walk in-activating 2nd entry from 1 Double entry visa that they used to do in Laos (Vientiane)....sadly no longer..sucks.

My attempt would be arrive at BKK airport as usual and "hope" for the 30 day stamp, is always tense, and then go to CNX and extend that after 30 days.......then go to Mae sai-Burma border, exit and re-enter with another 30 day "stamp" and again extend at CNX immig. So you are saying this is possible, but is risky...

thus giving me 4 months without an actual visa but would have the 20k in case they ask about that too.

I realize the risk factor but you stated that I can obtain 2 border VE and my last visit was in Dec 2018.

Am going to look into a METV here as this is the very first time I have bought a RT tix to the LOS.....Thanks

The risk of flying into Thailand visa exempt all comes down to you history of staying in los. There is no set rule however by way of example if someone enters visa exempt extends by 30 then flight re to say Saigon back next day and keep repeating. That will lead to denied entry at some point. 

BTW an METV can only be obtained in your home country.

7 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Thanks. Did you say extend a 30 day border run? I thought the 2 times per year border run was a 30 day only, not 30+30? 

13 hours ago, BritTim said:

Always used VN for Thai visa, but new to the new system..any links or info about this hot mess?

11 hours ago, ChomDo said:

Sure, I understand but I never reveal my nationality on the forums. I don't think it would make much difference what country this happened in – I mean in terms of this topic. I'm just seeking for some updated info about applying for a TR in Saigon and Vientiane. 

Same here. VN new visa appt system...unless can do a Bkk and mae sai  Non Ex VE and extend both 30x30x30x30=120 total days..fly home

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The risk of flying into Thailand visa exempt all comes down to you history of staying in los. There is no set rule however by way of example if someone enters visa exempt extends by 30 then flight re to say Saigon back next day and keep repeating. That will lead to denied entry at some point. 

understood, I will look into the METV, was just curious about my usual routine of coming and going for past decade, creature of habit...thanks for info

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Been coming since 2008 always ONE way tix then leave when im ready..used to get 30 stamp at bkk, extend at CNX immig, then haul to laos for DOUBLE 60 x 2 visa then extend EACH one 30+ extend 30+60+extend 30-activate 2nd 60 at mae sai-burma+30 extend=8 months, then could even maybe do another burma-mae sai run and extend, but never tried that long, usually 6 months and i was ready to leave LOS for a year home

Note sadly those DOUBLE visas are gone from Laos-VN...as I found out last year..only got one TR  60 day

11 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Thanks. Did you say extend a 30 day border run? I thought the 2 times per year border run was a 30 day only, not 30+30? 

As far as I know they can. I always extend my 30 day stamp when I fly into Bkk  30 then extend 30 (1900bt)he

But the rules change there by the hour as I found out last year about new VN system and single entries ????