So many changes in the last 20 years, many not good.

wabear

From an airlines email I just got:

Thailand is one of South East Asia's most popular destinations. The Land of Smiles attracts those looking for pristine beaches, lush rainforest, cultural immersion, and spiritual experiences.

Samui was just sad last time I was there. Chiang Mai, rose of the north? Not so much. Rayong has grown into a nice town in many ways.

I'm happy I started visiting Thailand 20 years ago. It was a different place in many ways.

4 minutes ago, wabear said:

I'm happy I started visiting Thailand 20 years ago. It was a different place in many ways.

I agree Thailand was a far pleasanter experience 20 years ago, but then the whole world IMO was in a better place, personally I blame "silicone valley" for the demise!

"Silicone valley" where google & facebook the new "control system! is the headquarters for these companies, we have made it possible for them to control our lives by tracking and infiltrating our personal space, no matter where you go you will find people absorbed with their mobile device, better get used to it!

The whole World was a better place to visit,20-30 years ago,

lots of places i would not like to return too,either too dangerous,

or have turned into <deleted>holes.

When I first came to live in Thailand 30 years ago,it was a much

more freewheeling place,not so many restrictions,nothing seemed

a problem.I am the same but Thailand has really changed.

regards Worgeordie

I use social media, not the other way around.  What others do with social media is neither my responsibility nor my problem.

Generally our perception of things change with familiarity and over time.  Sure things have changed since the mid-70s when I first arrived, just I have changed during that same time.  I don’t waste my time reminiscing about the past.  I have fond memories but I continue to form new ones.

Here is a recent memory.

1335132727_PhuChiDao-1.jpeg.1e41ea6ddbc0b3788135a47b5764f6ca.jpeg

27 minutes ago, CGW said:

we have made it possible for them to control our lives by tracking and infiltrating our personal space,

Nobody forces us to enter this fatal game;
To the extent of "my" possible, I do not use any of these tools totally useless: (facebook, Twitter, Line, etc..etc ...)
On my Nokia phone that is not a smartphone, I did not activate the "internet" function;
and on my laptop, even if I use Gmail for my messages, Alphabet can always run to know my tastes.
Adblock and his little brothers are very useful to me.

In addition I spend the minimum of time on the internet;
I prefer, by far, to ride my mountain bike and go through the countryside in Issan where I live for 15 years soon.

Hello to Villagefarang by the way ...

Yesterday morning, somewhere in the middle of nowhere

P1080513_concrete_roads.thumb.JPG.a107a614ed6fad9c99b54cba990cf66e.JPG

P1080519_concrete_roads.thumb.JPG.6fc182843abd1c8af3ad7d2af091c047.JPG

15 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

What others do with social media is neither my responsibility nor my problem.

It's not my "problem" either, but the world I am living in is now controlled by it, possibly our generation should have been a little bit more aware of what was happening then the next generation would have been able to enjoy the same things.

Personally I am in a good place ???? I have been in SEA since the late seventies, life has been good - but the thread is about "changes and not for the better" not how we rate ourselves on the happiness index. :thumbsup:

Nice picture by the way ????

3 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

Others are free to focus on the "not good" part if that is their preference

Unfortunately I/we have to deal with the "not good" part, I also am quite selfish and would prefer to ignore the madness of the "New world order"

As an example I have been consolidating my finances and closing down accounts that I have used that I have used over the years, to close one that was US based I had to prove I was not a sex offender that had the same name somewhere in the US, another account that I opened well over twenty years ago I am still trying to close as I still haven't proved to them I am who I say though I am wading through the seven pieces of paper they sent me to have certified.

I was lucky enough to have had a house in Koh Samui from 1989 to 1992, it was very nice back then! - now been pretty well destroyed as people's main aim in life is to seek wealth.

We try grow most of our own vegetables as the local food chain is corrupted with chemicals, fish and prawns are all farmed, the list is endless sadly I can't ignore the facts as you can! I can't even read "facts" in the media anymore as the news is no longer "news" :shock1:

6 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Look at what's happened to London in the last 20 years!

It's a shame ..:cheesy:

I remember, 45 years ago, we can enter everywhere inside London with our 32 tons** trucks and stop  along a sidewalk with two continuous yellow stripes without a cop come and fine us ..
Must also say that it was in the middle of the night next to a pub open  especially at night for us truckers ...

There was an atmosphere to die for in a smoky room :crazy:

45 y ago the max load of a semi trailor was 32 tons ...now, it's much more ...

Don;t know if it's better ...

28 minutes ago, sillyfool said:

how come people only ever post selective pictures showing their life or location in a pristine point of view ? 

ignore the filth shall we.

We do have a local garbage dump, would you like for me to go there and take some ugly pictures for you?

Oops, here is another pristine photo from one of my favorite places here in Chiangrai.

1206726505_SinghaPark2019-3.jpg.1535c7fcbab51ed2a8f2c404d6cf91fc.jpg

Just stepped out of the house to have a look around and sorry still pristine.

C879A6EB-0423-4D67-8A25-DD4F652169FC.jpeg.f0ff4c07a9eeb35b7c8c86b91485251c.jpeg

25 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

We do have a local garbage dump, would you like for me to go there and take some ugly pictures for you?

Oops, here is another pristine photo from one of my favorite places here in Chiangrai.

1206726505_SinghaPark2019-3.jpg.1535c7fcbab51ed2a8f2c404d6cf91fc.jpg

hahah come on sport are you serious ? 

by local garbage dump you mean anywhere and everywhere ? could you please post this exact same picture in the height of smog season ?

or perhaps one of your neighbor burning off a crop ? 

Archived